The Norfolk Arms
$69
$90
$86
  • Pool
Novotel Sheffield Centre(Sheffield)(Great Value!)
$69
  • Restaurant
$64
$60
  • Restaurant
Hampton By Hilton Sheffield(Sheffield)(Great Value!)
$71
$66
Halifax Hall(Sheffield)
$78
$76
All reviewspeak districtopen countrysidepiepub foodpeasnext morningfriendly hotelnight portershort breakwedding partymy muman evening mealbed and breakfastfunction roomstayed for two nightslarge roomfull english
Reviewed December 15, 2013

We visited Norfolk Arms for the second time and was excited for a quiet and relaxing weekend however was very disappointed with the service and overall experience we had.

We booked the overnight stay through booking.com, directed by the hotels website and the options to include breakfast for an additional £6.00 for both was not available, unlike what was offered on the hotels website. I made reference to this at the time of booking but had no response from Norfolk Arms.

On arrival the staff was friendly and the Hotel was how we remembered it from our first visit, a lovely, inviting place in a great location.

However our disappointment started upon having dinner in the pub downstairs. The service was poor and lacking attention to detail. An example, our glasses and condiments not taken from the table or other tables around us cleared within the 2 hours we was sat their despite there being over 5 front of house staff working? They seemed more intent with chatting between themselves then checking the meal and refreshing us with cutlery which we had to steal from another table and my partner ate his steak with a normal knife.

The food was below average not how we remembered it to be, the steak was ordered medium/rare and was well done at best, but there was no opportunity to bring this to the attention of the staff as nobody made the effort to come over to the table. The ultimate burger I had was average, a good size portion but not much flavour.

The pub was cold and a portable heater was brought in rather than make use of the lovely open fires. The music was on extremely low and seemed to be on a loop of 5 songs, this added up to a poor atmosphere so we headed to our room.

We was kept awake until 11:45 by the screams and loud music that was emanating from the private function room directly below us. I enquired when the party would stop and the member of staff laughed it off and didn't seem empathetic that a guest had come down at 11:30. This was very disappointing and It became evident that attention of the staff was on the party rather than other guests that night.

We understand it was a Saturday night and are not strangers to socialising later at night but I feel we should have been notified of this at booking or being given an alternative option to stay in a room which wasn't directly above the function room as we had come away for a peaceful weekend.

A top tip for anyone staying here, avoid room 9! This room is extremely small in comparison to other rooms that we saw in the morning during cleaning and it seems strange that we was charged the same as these other rooms. When we checked out I was not asked how are stay was and therefore did not explain the disappointing stay we had.

Breakfast was a strong point, the Full English was good value at about £6 and came with 2 pots of tea, toast and juice. Good value when considering a continental breakfast was about 50p less.

Great location for the Peak District and Sheffield.

Room Tip: Room 9 uncomfortably small and directly above the functions room, other rooms are twice the size and same price from Info on hotel website.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TheNewfs
Reviewed December 14, 2013

This is the best hotel I've ever stayed in. The staff on arrival and throughout the stay were amazing. The food was decent, and the Mayfield suite was brilliant, the bath is to die for and the four poster bed was great. It's very good value for money in a superb location.

Room Tip: Pay the extra money and go in the "Mayfield view" room
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 24, 2013

It was interesting reading jimmy h's review.
My wife and I ate here with friends only recently.
This was at lunchtime, mid week, so it wasn't busy.
The waiting time for food wasn't short, but not quite to the point of being unreasonable.
Mine arrived at least five minutes after all the others. A chicken burger from the specials board.
I was surprised to find that despite the wait, the meat was cold and very dry. Accompaniments, apart from chips were sparse.
An offer was made to exchange the dish, but in view of the delay and the progress made by others, I decided against it. Eventually I wished I hadn't.
A free dessert was accepted as compensation, and this was excellent.
Overall only one meal was considered worth the price, one was presented differently to our previous visit, another was also disappointing,
We'll let our friends suggest the location next time.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 19, 2013

a few of us stopped here about a month ago now for Sunday lunch managed to get a table after a wait which is understandable with is been Sunday. to be totally honest we wish we hadn't staff far to rude and to interested in texting and talking than serving people. as for the food we last came here back in April and the food was fantastic I don't know what has changed since then but clearly something has gone terrible wrong behind the scenes. the food was cold the plate was cold potato's were dry. my advice is go back to what you were doing in April or you will loose loads more customers

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I stayed one night whilst on business in Sheffield. I arrived after a long drive, it was blowing a storm outside and I wasn't dissapointed. An impressive building from the outside with spectacular views across the valley and plenty of parking. Inside was a treat. open fires the smell of good food and a great welcome from the girl on reception. My room was very spacious, and very adequate for my needs. I was soon changed and downstairs in the bar where I plonked myself down in a chair by the fire and didn't move for the rest of the night - even though I was supposed to do some work. I slept solidly and went to have a nice breakfast before deciding to go for a walk through the forest before heading off to work. All this for.....wait for it....£49. Best value ever Thank you Norfolk Arms for a lovely stay. See you next month...

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business