“Great place for a beer but food poor.”
Review of The Norfolk Arms

The Norfolk Arms
Ranked #25 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Sheffield
“Great place for a beer but food poor.”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We've been here many times, both to enjoy a post work pint, enjoying the views and to have a lunchtime pub lunch.

The last couple of visits for lunch have been very disappointing, and we won't be dining there again. How you can make a humble chip taste odd is beyond me!

Staff are excellent on the whole, and very much on the ball when it comes to addressing any problems that come out of the kitchen.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

Very good home cooked food good service excellent staff.
I had gammon you could tell it had been carved off the joint nice chunky chips and fresh veg.
My wife had a lovely chicken breast with salad very generous portions.
The black sheep beer was very nice will go again bri soon

• Stayed March 2013
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Minus the fact there was a couple getting married one of the two nights we stayed here. You can't really fault the hotel for that though. The rooms remind me of American Motel 6. Don't expect super fancy. The bed was comfortable though, so they get two points for that. My fiancee is vegan and although the only thing on the menu that she could eat was a baked potato, the menu was quite extensive and impressive for those of us who eat everything else. ^_^

The best thing about this place was the view. We were in room 3 which sits right on top of the pub, while looking out on to Ringinlow Road. There is an old toll house right across the street, in the shape of an octagon....absolutely beautiful. The staff allowed me to keep my soy milk and a few salads in their refrigerator, which I greatly appreciate. The hotel is in a perfect location. If you take a left from the hotel, the city of Sheffield five minutes away. If you take a right from the hotel, the edge of the Peak District five minutes away.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This is one of the friendliest places we've stayed in. The rooms are comfortable, and there are some out the back if you need to avoid stairs. The food is very good, and breakfast is served till 10:30 or so, so plenty of opportunity for a lie-in. Handy for both Sheffield and the Peaks.
Beds are a little on the small side, but still comfortable.

Room Tip: If you want to avoid stairs, ask for a room round the back.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I need to admit, the Norfolk Arms holds an attraction for me as it was one of my social haunts back in my teens. Its transformation to hotel has given it a much different feel.

My recent visit was as a traveller, weary from strains of the Derbyshire Hills and desperate for coffee. My friend and I ordered a pot of tea and a cappuccino from the bar. My coffee was very enjoyable and a convivial chat in a couple of easy chairs was just what was required.

The hotel seems welcoming, warm and is located just before you get to the Derbyshire Hills which are but a few miles away.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Recommended!
Immediately on our arrival, a friendly greeting was given by the young lady in reception, she was very keen to find out why we were staying and if she can help in any way. The rooms we were given, were large and clean. Possibly a bit more heat in the bedroom and bathroom would have been nice but it was still warm enough to be comfortable.
After an evening meal, we then settled in the bar for the rest of the night. The staff behind the bar were were excellent - good company and knowledgeable about the area and the drinks. We had a good nights sleep in a very comfy bed with large fluffy pillows!
I was not convinced the breakfast was value for money.....for a couple of pennies short of £9, I was expecting a bit more. Was it locally sourced produce as claimed on the poster? Mmmmmm not sure!
This place COULD be terrific......a real gem......superb but it just had that something missing that I can not put my finger on. But do not let that put you off, this is a very pleasant pub / hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The service was very good we had a evening meal and breakfast.
The Evening Meal was very good and it was a little to much for us but we did eat all.
Breakfast was very good, all I can say about that was the cook could have been better mannered.

I know Northern folk are very friendly but came up and said do you want a full breafast or not, but that is one down side of staying at the Norfolk Arms.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple