“Great location, gateway to Derbyshire”
Review of The Norfolk Arms

The Norfolk Arms
Ranked #25 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I need to admit, the Norfolk Arms holds an attraction for me as it was one of my social haunts back in my teens. Its transformation to hotel has given it a much different feel.

My recent visit was as a traveller, weary from strains of the Derbyshire Hills and desperate for coffee. My friend and I ordered a pot of tea and a cappuccino from the bar. My coffee was very enjoyable and a convivial chat in a couple of easy chairs was just what was required.

The hotel seems welcoming, warm and is located just before you get to the Derbyshire Hills which are but a few miles away.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Recommended!
Immediately on our arrival, a friendly greeting was given by the young lady in reception, she was very keen to find out why we were staying and if she can help in any way. The rooms we were given, were large and clean. Possibly a bit more heat in the bedroom and bathroom would have been nice but it was still warm enough to be comfortable.
After an evening meal, we then settled in the bar for the rest of the night. The staff behind the bar were were excellent - good company and knowledgeable about the area and the drinks. We had a good nights sleep in a very comfy bed with large fluffy pillows!
I was not convinced the breakfast was value for money.....for a couple of pennies short of £9, I was expecting a bit more. Was it locally sourced produce as claimed on the poster? Mmmmmm not sure!
This place COULD be terrific......a real gem......superb but it just had that something missing that I can not put my finger on. But do not let that put you off, this is a very pleasant pub / hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The service was very good we had a evening meal and breakfast.
The Evening Meal was very good and it was a little to much for us but we did eat all.
Breakfast was very good, all I can say about that was the cook could have been better mannered.

I know Northern folk are very friendly but came up and said do you want a full breafast or not, but that is one down side of staying at the Norfolk Arms.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Used this hotel a couple of times. It's a great location, up on a hill side over looking Sheffield, yet it's so quick to get into the city from there, but also very handy for the Peak District. There are one or two great walks to be done from the hotel front door.

The rooms in the main building are better than the ones round the back in the courtyard. Room 4 is massive. Great beer, good food, though service can be a little on the slow side. Staff friendly, price reasonable. Next time I'm in these parts I'm coming back.

1  Thank Grumpy_academic
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Stayed for one night mid week with my boyfriend. Decided to stay in the superior room, which was lovely and clean, with great views. Staff very friendly, didn't mind lending us a ice bucket and glasses to take up to our room which was really nice of them. Had a nice meal in the pub area, huge portions!
Great location, plenty of nice walks right next to the hotel, or about a two minute drive and you're in to the peak district.

Would definitely recommend, hope to visit again in the future!

Reviewed December 9, 2012

stayed here for just one night before taking my daughter to hospital...really lovely hotel, excellent staff, delicious home-cooked food, roaring fire, Christmas decs all around (very tastefully decorated, not OTT!), huge bedroom...but just a shame the snow came down that night and we needed to be in Sheffield for a 7am appointment the following morning. However, we took their advice about where to park our car, and sure enough albeit was a very slow journey into Sheffield the next morning, we got there in time! Would not hesitate to stay here again and to recommend this to anyone wanting some good wholesome country grub and/or a delightful room for the night...Happy Christmas :)

Room Tip: we were in room 1...it was HUGE and quiet...perfect :)
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Friendly staff, down to earth and they try hard to help accommodate you. However, my room was not as well heated as you would expect, my bathroom was cold and the "shower" was a short hand held one in the bath. Made it rather hard work.
The food is home made and large portions with real chips etc. hardly fine dining but good value. Good real ales, and well kept (and some at £2 a pint)
One large room downstairs for most drinking/dining, a bit noisy.
I suspect, as a hotel, it all depends on the room you get.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business