“Can't believe the good reviews”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Norfolk Arms

The Norfolk Arms
Ranked #25 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
London,
“Can't believe the good reviews”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

Driving into the car park, I thought I'd found a real gem to stay at for business meetings in chesterfield. How wrong I was.
Check in was slow due to the receptionist dealing with a complaint on the phone. When they finally acknowledged me, I was given a key and told my room number - no friendly welcome, no information on dining etc.

I went up to my room and on the surface, all seemed fine and went to eat in the restaurant / bar and I have to say the food was very good and the service was adequate.

I returned to my room and went to drawer the curtains and then noticed that most of the curtain hooks where laying on the window sill so had to shove the curtains over the rail to shut out the light.

At about 5am I was woken by two guests having a loud conversation outside my room. This continued for an hour and then the noise of the staff setting up for breakfast took over. I got up and went to use the bathroom and discovered the waste bin hadn't been emptied from the previous guest and I noticed I was covered in bites. This started to make me wonder what else other than the bin, hadn't been cleaned or changed. I think this hotel maybe dog friendly and suspect the bites where flea bites and not begs bugs.

I then went to check out and was already to complain at the point when the receptionist asks "was everything ok with your room" but they obviously had no interest in how my stay was, which means I will not be recommending this place to colleagues and I definitely won't return.

I really cannot believe the positive reviews on TA or the TA certificate in reception. Appalling.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank CookieTin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Cornwall, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

Really private comfortable hotel with stunning views over Sheffield /Derbyshire . Everything clean and comfortable and quiet despite being a popular wedding venue . Would definitely stay again. If you're looking for a Peak District break I'd stay here, it's better value that some of the Peak rip off places and you're right on the doorstep of the Peak Park.

• Stayed August 2012
sheffield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

just spent a brilliant day and night here for my sons wedding the staff and management are top class nothing is to much trouble for them always smiling and pleasent the rooms were excellant top marks for all the team

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed at the Norfolk Arms when attending a wedding in the locality. Travelled through blinding rain to find this lovely hotel amid the very wet but scenic area on the outskirts of Sheffield. Arriving at lunch time, we were warmly welcomed by the staff - and a wonderful open fire! (yes I know it is July but it was chilly outside and very very wet!). We were offered a hot drink and food - even though the kitchen hadn't quite begun taking orders - and though we had phoned to enquire beforehand due to the time of the wedding, our rooms were ready for us enabling us to shower and change before setting off for the service. Our room was very spacious, and if we could have seen through the mist and rain, looked out over the open countryside. Cooked breakfast choice was excellent - and the service was quick. The fire was already alight and the dining room was warm and cosy. All the staff were extremely friendly and welcoming. This was a little treasure of a find and would recommend it as a lovely place to stay if anyone is planning a visit to the area for walking or short break.

Room Tip: Ask for room 10 - its large and has a lovely outlook
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Colchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

This is the 4th occasion we have stayed at the Norfolk Arms and regret that this time fell short of usual standard. Room still good but unfortunately the corridor smelt heavily of stale smoke which did seep into the room. The menu had changed since our last visit which was good and we had a nice meal downstairs. We were woken by noisy guests around 2 in the morning which was not the fault of the hotel. Breakfast was the most disappointing, there was no table laid for us, however a very helpful man rushed around to prepare the table. The coffee cups were grubby, toast burnt and general standard of cooked breakfast was not up to usual high standard..
c'mon Norfolk Arms you are usually better than this but on a positive the staff were very friendly.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

There're public footpaths all around the hotel. Guest rooms are just above a pub, but it was surprisingly quiet. Rooms were comfy and clean for our stay although we spent very little time in the hotel itself.

The hotel staff were absolutely fantastic. We had to postpone our arrival by a day when our car broke down in the lake district on a bank holiday weekend. The hotel was happy to change dates without a fuss or extra charge.

Good food and some local beers. Some of the views from the hotel car park and walks were absolutely fantastic.

Apart from the walks near the hotel, we had to drive to most attractions in the Peak District such as Poole's cavern, Monsal trail and Solomon's Temple.

Would highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dileep K
Northern England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

Booked a double for celebration. Really good value, the room had a fantastic view out the back of the neighbouring countryside. Pity the room was a bit grubby in places.

The staff were very friendly and tried hard; it was extremely busy as it is a pub open to all comers, and at times the staff seemed overwhelmed.

The 'restaurant' seemed to consist of a pub lounge. We waited 40 minutes for the food...although we were warned about the wait..and unfortunately the food was, well, mediocre.

Unfortunately for us our hotel room was nearby two rooms occupied by hysterical and ill-mannered women who were there for a wedding the next day. It would be nice if people learned to behave a bit better when they are in a hotel than they do at home!

However the Norfolk Arms was good value and cheerful and is in a handy posiion for walking either into the peaks or a stunning walk into the city through the Mayfield valley.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple