“Very responsive team”

Ranked #11 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Salisbury UK
“Very responsive team”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

A good hotel in the centre of Sheffield. We had booked the weekend from Friday 21st Feb to visit our son at university but unfortunately when we arrived there were one or two problems with our room, among which the heating was not working. We found that the manager, Richard and his team, responded well in moving us to another room and making sure we were happy. The Leopold continues to be our favourite Sheffield hotel as the location is second to none, the food is good and the management are always very helpful.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Leopold_Manager, General Manager at Leopold Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review the Leopold Hotel. I am delighted that the team responded quickly to the issue you had and that you had another enjoyable stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Michael Skehan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

I booked for 5pm Friday 21st Feb as my friend was coming up from London - best laid plans!! She got stuck in traffic - I called and the staff were so helpful, spoke to the kitchen and said you can come any time up to 7 - great stuff. Called at 6.15 to say we were on our way, the table was ready for us when we go there. The food and service was great. Fresh cakes and scones, champagne was very nice and the price was very reasonable. All in all - very good indeed - even agreed by me London friend who afternoon teas regularly there.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and feedback following your Afternoon Tea with us recently. I am delighted that both you and your friend enjoyed it so much and the team looked after you so well. I do hope we get to welcome you back again soon.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

My daughter and I recently stayed in room 182 on the 5th floor for one night. On arrival everything seemed great. Stacey on reception was lovely and really welcoming, the room was modern, clean and spacious.We went out for an evening meal, watched a film then settled down to sleep. Laying there we could hear a constant droning noise with intermittent thumping noises like a running dishwasher or washing machine. As our air conditioning/heating was turned off we didn't know where the noise was coming from. I phoned down to Reception and they sent a gentleman up who stated it was vibrating pipes. He offered to move us to the lower ground floor. As it was 11.45pm and we were totally unpacked and in our pyjamas we declined. He could not provide ear plugs nor remedy the situation so we didn't sleep. At 12.30 our television inexplicably lit up and turned itself on!! Stacey checked us out the following morning and removed our breakfast charge and offered us a free upgrade next time we stay there, we informed her there definitely won't be a next time. It would appear that the noise is connected to the air conditioning system even when it is turned off so unless you are a heavy sleeper I definitely wouldn't recommend a stay here.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank ShenfieldFamily
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and feedback following your stay with us. I am sorry to read that there was a noise issue in your room. Unfortunately as it was so late getting someone to check the issue with the air con was not possible however I do feel that the team did as much as they could by offering an alternative room, which was declined, and also giving breakfast to you complimentary as a goodwill gesture. I am sorry that you feel you cannot return to us and I do hope that you reconsider as this was an unexpected issue we could not foresee, but we certainly did try to resolve it as best we could.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

I booked afternoon tea for Saturday afternoon for a treat for a friend. We arrived on time and I went to the bar area where there were two waitresses. Both saw I was waiting but neither acknowledged me. Even an 'I'll be with you in a minute' would have been perfectly fine as it was obviously busy. After five minutes of being ignored I asked if I was in the right place for an afternoon tea booking. I was told yes but they didn't have a record of my booking and asked what I would like to do about it. We waited for half an hour for a table. During this time at least two other parties seemed to have a similar experience. In fact the last group to arrive were shown to a table first. To be honest it was obvious that no one had a clue what was going on. When we were eventually shown to a table in a separate room we were left for another half hour before an order was taken. We asked for 3 afternoon teas with one having decaffeinated tea. The afternoon tea came and looked very nice. I have no issue with the food at all. Unfortunately they did not bring the decaffeinated tea. After waiting for a bit one of the waitresses came back in and I caught her attention and told her that we still didn't have the decaf tea. I also requested some more water for the other tea. She didn't seem to understand and when she came back brought just another pot of normal tea.
The selection of sandwiches and cakes were delicious and beautifully displayed. Unfortunately I will not be returning as the efforts of the kitchen staff were let down by very poor organisation and service. I appreciate that Saturdays are busy but there is no excuse for being ignored by waiting staff and for the chaotic service.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank C M
Leopold_Manager, General Manager at Leopold Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review following your afternoon tea with us last weekend. I am very disappointed to read your feedback on your experience and can assure you that it is not reflective of our normal levels of service or attention. Please contact me on this as I would like to discuss further with you.

Cheshire UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

We had an overnight stay in The Leopold on a Saturday night in mid December. We normally stay at the St. Paul mercure around the corner but saw this on the internet and thought we'd try it out. The hotel itself is a lovely boutique hotel in the city centre just across the road from orchard square. The room was small but nice. On making a cup of tea from the complimentary tea facility we used up all the milk in one go. Two plastic pots of uht milk is a very poor supply. We had our night out and returned. The bathroom on the front third floor was extremely cold. We had to put the heating up on full blast and leave the bathroom door open to be able to stand in the bathroom without shivering. That evening we were woken up by party goers returning to their rooms. Even though we asked for a quiet room, when the door was fully locked it had a quarter inch of flex in it to push it flush to the frame. It is was badly fitted and let all the corridor noise in to the point where we could hear the guy in the room opposite describing what he did with his wife the last time he had stayed there and I don't mean shopping! I got very little sleep that night. It is a period building with original windows but the hotel has fitted single glazed units inside the originals which have neither heat nor sound proofing,they should have fitted double glazed secondary internal units instead of saving money. The city centre noise and taxi rank outside meant it was noisy until gone 3:30 am. No problem, four hours sleep later I was looking forward to a cooked breakfast, I'm glad we got in early as the dining room was errr bijoux to say the least. We got a table and ordered. I judge a good cooked breakfast by the quality of the meat products. The sausage was sadly only warm and was re-heated. You can tell a reheated sausage because the skin splits and curls. The egg was hard and cold. We soldiered on. The Leopold could, with a small number of. Little touches,be a top class boutique city centre hotel with a good parking arrangement. It penny pinches on too many small areas though and collectively left us with a bad night's sleep and not even good breakfast to mitigate that. The management could improve it but they have some work to do. I doubt I'll stay there again but will go back to the more dependable st Paul's.

Room Tip: Choose a room somewhere else!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lordmoonpie
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us at the the Hotel. Whilst I take your points on board, we will certainly act upon the points you raised that are within our control. We are always striving to ensure all our guests have a great stay and do hope that you would stay again with us. Please contact me directly on this
gm.sheffield@leopoldhotels.com
Widnes, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

We booked the Mezzanine Suite as part of a "Love Leopold" package for Valentines.

The lady at check in was helpful, efficient and friendly. Parking for the hotel is recommended at a Q-Park about a 5/10 minute walk away but you do get a reduced rate as a guest. We were advised of this and went to the rooms to drop off bags before moving the car from the front.

The ground floor of the suite was spacious with a nice couch directed towards a flat screen tv. A table at the window had a bottle of Prosecco and Chocolates waiting for us as part of our package. We we're depicting Champagne and although I didn't care all too much, another couple we were with raised it on check out and we both got a £10 refund on our total bill which was nice. They had no hesitations doing this for us either,

The second floor was nice with a motion activated light on the stairs, another flat screen tv, a beautiful big bed and a wardrobe that incorporated a safe and fridge as well.

We opted for breakfast in the restaurant although we could have had it in our room and we were served quickly by friendly staff. There was a full continental spread and the "Full Yorkshire Breakfast" was great too, included in the package.

Overall we enjoyed our stay and if the standard rooms are half as nice as the Mezzanine Suite that the hotel represents good value as it is right in the thick of it. We would return at the rates currently being offered.

One thing that does need sorting is the TV's. They are LCD but old. At £179 a night on this package I expect they could replace these TVs with something new and HD for a couple of hundred and really enhance the experience. That said the movies on offer through the intelligent tv system are great and varied and had we been going for a night in, we would have had plenty to watch.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 19Adrian87
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and comments following your recent stay with us at the Leopold Hotel. I am delighted that you had such a great stay and we very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.
General Maneger.
Midlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

This was a 40th birthday treat & something I had wanted to do for a long time. We booked a table, arrived promptly & were shown to a table that had not yet been cleared. Fifteen minutes passed & the waiter finally arrived to clear & lay the table & take our order for tea. Another 15 minutes passed before our tea arrived along with the menu. The tea was tepid at best & we advised the waitress of this. We ordered the traditional afternoon tea & another pot of tea which arrived after another wait. The tea at least was hot but the pot only half full. We tried to get the waiter's attention a few time s but just resigned ourselves to it in the end. The sandwiches, scones & cakes were beautifully presented & rather delicious so no complaints there. We spent almost 2 hours at our table in the end & watched several couples go through the very same experience as we did. I'm sorry to say this after hearing so many good reviews & wanting to visit for so long but it was a disappointment.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank HillyMidlands
Dear Guest

Thank your for your review and comments following your recent afternoon tea with us. I am sorry that the experience did not live up to expectations on this occasion. Please contact me directly on this as I would like to discuss this with you further. My contact details are below
gm.sheffield@leopoldhotels.com