“An Excellent and friendly hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Leopold Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Leopold Hotel
Ranked #9 of 54 Hotels in Sheffield
Braintree, United Kingdom
“An Excellent and friendly hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

I stayed in this hotel after the annual Central Technical School Old Boy's Association Christmas buffet. It really is a very friendly 4 star hotel with excellent rooms. It was very nostalgic to sleep in the hotel that had been my school between 1962-1965. The old school photographs enhance this hotel which has been tastefully transformed from the prestigious school building that it once was. I was just a little disappointed not to have been allocated the 'headmaster's study' bedroom where I had once been caned but perhaps I might have had nightmares!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Leopold_Manager, General Manager at Leopold Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear Ian
Thank you for your review and comments following your stay with us this week. It was really great to see so many here for the Annual Christmas get together and a great day was had by all. Next time you stay with us let me know and I will ensure you get the 'Headmasters Study' ......if your really sure.
Michael Skehan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

Booked tram weekend and was not disappointed!! Arrived well before check in and hotel staff still managed to accommodate us ASAP! Very central and great atmosphere around! Staff were amazing and nothing was too much for them! Room very spacious and clean- couldn't complain! Had an amazing stay and felt very special- thanks to all that made the weekend!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us at the Leopold Hotel. I am delighted that you had a great stay and the team looked after you so well. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Manchester, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

This was my second stay at The Leopold. My last was OK, but nothing special that I felt the urge to write a review of. This time, unfortunately, was worse.

On arrival, my (5th (top) floor) room was so hot I was almost knocked over backwards by the heat as I opened the door. The air-con on full soon sorted this out, but it was way too noisy to keep this on all night and the temperature just kept creeping up as a consequence. This, combined with the noise from the street below - which even on the 5th floor was pretty intense - meant that the whole night was very disturbed. Not what I look for in a hotel.

The staff were good. Those on reception were both pleasant and efficient both on check-in and -out. Breakfast was OK - but nothing special. My room felt oddly cramped. It was not especially small, but the layout just did not really work. Housekeeping need to spend more time clearing up stains and dusting.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments following your stay with us. We do like to pre heat rooms for guests so apologies if the room was too hot for you on this occasion. Being in the city centre there is inevitable noise but normally on the top floor this is not an issue.
Thank you again for your helpful comments
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

I may be being over critical of this hotel but I expected so much and was very disappointed at my sadly average experience. Having stayed at other properties in the small luxury hotels of the world "club" I expected amazing service, attention to detail, excellent food and flawless housekeeping. Sadly housekeeping must have been running short on towels that day, failed to remove short and curleys from the bath and it looked like the cleaners might only be 4ft tall as there was so much lime scale and soap scum on the tiles. (Room 123)

We were encouraged to set breakfast in our room due to the (possibly small) dining room getting very busy on a morning. The fruit salad was great but the full English was lacking to say the least.....not even a slice of toast or serving of tomato sauce!

Beware where you park - we read on the website that we should call ahead to park in the Qpark....when we asked "is that the cheese grater one?" We were told yep that's right. However at checkout we were told we had parked in the wrong car park (there's a second Qpark apparently) and we were left with a £2 per hour bill for just over a 24hour stay...

Given the reasonable price I paid I didn't expect anything amazing but given that front desk boasted their hotel to be better than the marriott or hilton we usually stay in, I was disappointed that it measured up to a premier inn....

When we checked out Front desk asked if our stay had been good and when we replied with it was "ok" it was subtly ignored! Why ask if you're not bothered!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Leopold_Manager, General Manager at Leopold Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback, I did contact you following your stay so please feel free to contact me at any time
Regards
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

My 3rd stay at this hotel and what a gem. Central for everything especially restaurants and shops. Staff can't do enough for you even though the hotel is often busy with Weddings and Christmas parties. Had a LG room this time and was so peaceful. Would recommend all ages. Will be back.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and kind words following your most recent stay with us at the Leopold Hotel. I am delighted that you had once again had a great stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Kent
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights and found the hotel to be centrally located. The staff were very helpful, keen to ensure we had everything we needed and resolved any issues that they could. We booked an accessible room, which while it was spacious, it was cold and the bathroom was freezing. When we told the reception desk they did provide us with slippers and bathrobes. There was no plug in the bathroom basin making it impossible to fill the basin. Closer attention could also be paid to the cleanliness of the bathroom fittings particularly the handrails and other accessibility adaptations.

Disabled access is through a side door into the bar area. It's a 'push bar' door that cannot be opened from the outside so you need to press a bell to get in (which is OK unless its pouring with rain) There is then a wheelchair lift to rise up approx. 1 metre to the 'Ground floor'. Once inside the hotel all areas seem to be accessible and there are no heavy doors (with the exception of the room door). A word of caution: access to the breakfast room has a sign at exactly head height for someone in a wheelchair.

Reserved car parking is available at a secure Q-Park car park about 6 minutes walk away. (there is a drop off/loading bay outside the hotel). A disabled guest staying on their own may find this distance problematic. While the hotel has reserved spaces in the car park there is no control and the spaces appear to fill up during the day with ordinary cars which all seemed to disappear in the evening (the opposite behaviour you'd expect from hotel guests). So if you went out during the day, you might have trouble getting parked on your return.

Bar food is available almost all day and a smaller, but adequate 24 hour room service menu is available.

The breakfast room is in the basement and can be busy at peak times. On the third morning, we were asked to wait upstairs in the bar while our table was made available. There was tea and coffee available while we waited, but it had gone cold, sitting out since 6.00 (I guess). The (continental) breakfast itself is good with a wide range of cereals, pastries, fruit, cheese and meats. Hot breakfasts were also available, but we didn't have one.

We had an enjoyable stay at the Leopold - just a closer attention to detail would have made our stay 'Excellent' earning a rating of 5.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback following your stay with us. I am glad that overall you had an enjoyable stay and thank your for your helpful feedback.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

Family gathering before the annual Memorial service for those wonderful people who have donated their body to Medical Science. Sister organised a lunch..at the Leopold Hotel..in the building that used to house the Education Offices, the Central Technical School..and the City Grammar...where sister went in the early 1960's. Buildings have been wonderfully restored..using the outer stones and mortar...and the very smart interior.

Sister had been in lengthy correspondence with the Hotel....to co-ordinate the numbers, food choices etc...and to ensure that my Coeliac needs could be met. Was wonderfully re-assured...

Now before I go much further...Coeliacs can't eat anything with wheat, barley and rye. Oats I do eat a little occasionally without any adverse effects. I also eat very well....

So the Hotel saying they can confidently cater for me is a bonus...big time. Many chefs see us Coeliacs as a challenge to their creative side...and some make such brilliant efforts....can remember some memorable meals out where this has happened.(well before my Trip advisor days). So I was expecting to write in a glowing way......

16 (15 adults and one almost 6 year old) for the event.

I didn't have starter..nothing I really fancied..I really dont eat a lot these days..so no problems..

Main course was two very thin slices of loin of pork with apple sauce out of a jar. (Was I served the childs portion?) Couldnt have the fondant potatoes..(why not? classic recipe doesnt have gluten). Ditto the roast potatoes. Could have the carrots and the broccoli. No gravy.

Dessert....chocolate mousse/sherry trifle/assorted sponge pudding for the others...and a dish of plain unsweetened yoghurt, topped with fruit salad out of a tin, for me.....
Tea was tepid at best.

The lunch was to commemorate our Mother...one of the finest cooks ever....very well known in Culinary circles...in the city and beyond. Mum would have been suitably horrified at all this...

Yes I have taken it up with the hotel...and the response is also luke warm. They haven't really given any explanation for why what was promised wasn't followed through. Have had plenty of opportunity to do so.

To say I am disappointed...is an under estimation.

Have been offered an afternoon tea as a compensation. Now think about this...sandwiches, cakes, quiches, sausage rolls, scones, flans, shortbreads....all wonderfully flour rich.
Question..dare I??

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank ApricotSilk14
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback, I will follow up directly with you on this matter

Regards