“Short break in Sheffield” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Leopold Hotel
Ranked #9 of 54 Hotels in Sheffield
Buckinghamshire, England
“Short break in Sheffield”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

Stayed overnight with a friend who was visiting her sister.found the hotel eventually as the entrance is so understated we missed it on the first pass. Reception staff were helpful and polite. We had a mezzanine room which was well appointed and a but different from your run of the mill rooms. It was clean and comfortable.
My only gripe was the lighting. The sensor light comes on in the night if you get up for the toilet which is really infuriating,and woke us both up. Health and safety gone mad again. There are no occasional lamps so it was dark under the stairs and it was not possible to put just the downstairs lights on so when I got up earlier than my friend to read a book the whole room lit up, upstairs and downstairs. Also, vile lighting by the make up/ bathroom mirrors. So apologies Sheffield if we looked like clowns!
It's a good, central location and the hotel is beautifully converted from a school. In the centre is a courtyard with bars and restaurants which we would have explored had we stayed longer.
I would happily go back. And I would try the afternoon tea which looked very nice.

Room Tip: The mezzanine room was worth the extra money
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Leopold_Manager, General Manager at Leopold Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and feedback following your recent stay with us at the Leopold Hotel. I am delighted that overall you had a great stay and note your points on the lighting.
Thank you again and I do hope that we get to welcome you back soon.

Michael Skehan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Leamington Spa, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

We've just returned from spending the night at The Leopold. The service we received from every single member of staff was fantastic - would that other hotels had the same standard. Nothing was too much trouble. The room was very comfortable. Despite being in the centre of Sheffield the glazing was such that you were not troubled by any outside noise. An excellent choice for breakfast too. We would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a comfortable and welcoming stay in Sheffield.

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and comments following your recent stay with us.i am delighted that you had a great stay with us at the Leopold Hotel and thank you for taking the time to review us. I do hope we get to welcome you back again soon.
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

We had our wedding breakfast at The Leopold Hotel and I couldn't have asked for anything better. The food was outstanding and even my husband couldn't complain (he's a chef and always complains when we eat out) The staff were friendly, smiling and polite and Alistair was particularly brilliant, always on hand but over crowding. Even the young waiting staff were polite and helpful, helping my niece when her son was ill. I can't praise the staff, venue, food and customer service enough and didn't find it expensive either. Thanks to all at The Leopold for helping to make my wedding day the best day ever!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Adele F
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent wedding with us. I am delighted that you both a great day with us and that the team looked after you so well. We certainly do hope to see you back at the Leopold Hotel Soon.
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my mum to celebrate my birthday and it was lovely.
Location- right next to some good chain restaurants and a pleasant square out the back. Very near to shops, city hall and the beautiful peace gardens.
Rooms- I am a very light sleeper and asked to change my room as although they had as requested put me in a quiet room I wasn't happy with it. They made the change with no fuss and the staff member was really kind about it even though they were very busy. My room had high ceilings, a powerful shower and a very very comfy bed.
Staff- I have stayed in a lot of hotels with work and I can honestly stay that I have never met such friendly, kind, helpful staff. I hope that they are valued by the hotel as they are it's greatest asset.
Hotel- lovely building, clean, quiet (for a city centre hotel) and well positioned.
I would definitely stay here again if I am ever in Sheffield

1 Thank ktq88
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and Kind words following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you had a great stay with us and that the team looked after you so well, I certainly do value each of them.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

We had our wedding at The Leopold Sheffield on 11th of May 2013. The hotel were very good about letting us drop all our stuff off the day before and there was a room made available for this. The hotel has a great layout for a wedding as the bride can prepare and enter from a side room into the main function room without being seen. The main function room serves for all 3 parts of the day (ceremony, meal and evening) and is right by the bar. The food was spot on. The square at the back of the hotel was great for the confetti shower and we were right next to the City Hall for some shots there as well. The event coordinators were fantastic, helping us out with everything both before and on the day. Having our wedding there felt just right and I'm glad we did.

Dear Ian

Thank you so much for posting your review following your wedding with us recently. I am delighted that you had a great day and the team looked after you so well. We look forward to welcoming back to the hotel soon.

Lenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

This is a boutique hotel, for those that don't know how this works this hotel was originally a school rather than a hotel built for purpose.

The layout is great and the staff are friendly, the rooms provide everything you need and the nights sleep is one of the best I've had in a hotel.

The breakfast is great; I was asked if I wanted scrambled, fried or poached eggs I said "yes" my plate turned up with all 3, spot on!

Location is great right in the heart of the city centre. The only small issue is that sometimes the different areas of the hotel smell funny (probably the polish / cleaning agents they use).

If staying avoid Lower Ground rooms as the service level below this you can hear the dragging of industrial sized bins every 10-15 mins, I did wonder if they had a factory downstairs :)

Room Tip: Request a ground floor, or higher, room to avoid noise from sub lower ground level.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us at the Leopold Hotel. I am delighted that you had a great stay and I do hope that we get to welcome you back soon.

Wakefield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Only stayed one night as I ha work meetings in Sheffield.

Lovely place very beautiful building with plenty of history of the building available.

Staff were all amazing and very helpful.

Great place to stay

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your recent stay. I am delighted that you had a great stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.