“Not so "Leading ..." during our stay”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Leopold Hotel

Leopold Hotel
Ranked #11 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Llucmajor, Spain
“Not so "Leading ..." during our stay”
Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

Fled "Fawlty Towers" in Sheffield to find a good night's sleep at the Leopold! Very small room with window to the back and Leopold Square - which is terrible busy and noisy on weekends, as we discovered! Paid a high price for that room, too. Air Con did not work and the temp was 24C in the room, couldn't open the window until 2:3oam for the noise. Then the shower did barely work with no water pressure. Just great.... Manager offers to move us to another's room. Fine! Arrived late on Sunday to that new room, now facing the front, with no opening window, and once again, no working air con and the room temp at again 24C! Were offered a ventilator. At check out we were confronted with a bill for breakfasts which we never had.
The wifi is not easily accessible and expensive - at least we were not charged given the rest. Location is very good. Parking at half a miles distance is poor. The whole place needs a thorough technical and decor overhaul. staff friendly but not really competent.. Pay peanuts, get.... Small, Yes, but Leading No, not at all!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wolfgang H
Leopold_Manager, General Manager at Leopold Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your reveiw and feedback following you recent stay with us. I am sorry that you experienced difficulties with Air con in both rooms and apologise to you for this. I have noted your other points also, however parking is not something we have on site and dont advertise this either.

Michael Skehan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2013

For most of the last 18 months, I’ve been travelling to Sheffield regularly for work and, after trying a few different hotels in the city centre, I found the Leopold and ended up spending about 70 or 80 nights there.

The building is beautiful, the rooms are well designed and comfortable, and the location couldn't be better – right in the very centre of the city. But what really made me go back time and again is the staff.

Every single one of them – whether on reception, at breakfast, or in the bar - has been professional, helpful and friendly every time I have seen them.

In particular, the people who work on reception are exceptional. I could go through each of them by name and give an example of how they have made me feel welcome, worked hard to ensure my stay was enjoyable, and gone way above and beyond what one would expect when I have needed help.

I would highly recommend the Leopold for business and leisure alike.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your very kind words and review. Following your letter to me and the team once again I would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know how much you enjoyed staying with us and how much we appreciate your business.
I do hope we get to welcome you back soon

Derbyshire
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed only one night in this lovely hotel, and will stay again. We had a deluxe room, it was clean and a good size, contemporary and so quiet. We had a good nights sleep in a comfortable bed.

The location is excellent and the staff wonderfull.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest
Thankyou for your review and comments following your stay with us in April. I am delighted that you had a very pleasant stay and we do hope to welcome you back soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2013

The hotel is a charming building backing onto a little square which on our visit was buzzing with music and people. The square is filled with restaurants so plenty of places for dinner.

The car parking is a bit of a nuisance as you have to take your car to a car park five minutes walk away. Although offered a discounted rate we still had to pay for it. We also had some difficulty negotiation the one way system back to the hotel although that is our fault not theirs!
We booked a mezzanine suite and although decorated in a pleasing modern style I did not like the fact that our room was a bit gloomy on a lovely sunny day and you could not open the window at all. They provided fans but some fresh air would have been good.
The staff were incredibly polite and helpful and we would stay here again.

Room Tip: Not sure if booking a suite is worthwhile - a bigger bedroom might be the better option. Ask for on...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and comments following your recent stay with us at the Leopold Hotel. I am delighted that overall you had a great stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stayed here for a birthday treat. The rooms are excellent, very luxurious and clean. We stayed in one of the deluxe rooms as it was a special occasion. The room showed off many original features such as beams and huge arch windows. There is a bar, but there was a wedding taking place at the time so we didn't go in. Its location is ideal for all the bars, restaurants and theatres. The hotel used to be an old boys grammar school but it has been beautifully restored into a very special hotel.

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms are worth the extra money if you are looking for a special room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you had a great stay and we do hope to welcome you back soon.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I got a very good last minute rate booking on the day when I had to stay in Sheffield mid week on business. The room was contemporary and very clean. The desk area was a good size and well lit for working. The room had a wet room rather than a bath. The bathroom was a good size but the wash basin was bizarrely small. So small the kettle cannot be filled (although bottles of free water are provided for this purposes) but also too small to sensibly wash in. Some of the rooms face a tram route which is quite noisy. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The location of the hotel is very central. I didn't eat in the hotel but there are a number of restaurants including Wagamama's in a courtyard area immediately outside the intel. All in all I'd definitely go back there if I need to stay in central Sheffield again.

Room Tip: Some rooms face a tram route whilst others do not. The trams are quite noisy.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Leopold_Manager, General Manager at Leopold Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us. I do hope we get to welcome you back soon.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2013

This hotel is in an excellent location for Sheffield. I was put there by Sheffield Uni on a visit. My husband and I had a two story suite! It is right in Sheffield, but the walls are reasonably soundproofed and it is a comfortable and luxurious hotel. I have just re-booked for another trip after finding a super low rate on a 3rd party booking site (£60 for a double!). The Leopold square itself (which the hotel is on) is a nice place for restaurants and looks like it would be great in nice weather (was there in winter, though). The hotel bar is a little sterile and doesn't have great ambiance, but it is nice. The staff at the hotel were good too.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Leopold_Manager, General Manager at Leopold Hotel, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your reveiw and kind words following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you had a great stay and have booked to stay with us again. If you wish to contact me I would be delighted to upgrade your room complimentary (subject to availability) for your next stay.

gm.sheffield@leopoldhotels.com