“Amazing for the price”

Ranked #11 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Amazing for the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

Stayed for one night as a couple. The hotel is literally in the center of Sheffield and so everything that you could want is on the hotel's doorstep. Check-in was prompt and having booked via Slh, we were upgraded to a delux king room where there was a plate of chocolate brownies awaiting us (a very appreciated touch). I had been expecting a walk-in shower instead of one over the bath and when this was mentioned to reception when they called to check that the room was ok, they did offer to move us to another room.

The room itself was well proportioned, although a little tired in places, with damp staining in a corner and two single beds pushed together instead of a king bed. Nevertheless, the bed was extremely comfortable and we slept well. The air conditioning was very effective and the complimentary shower products were of very good quality.

We found the hotel bar to be extremely reasonable compared with some hotels that we have stayed in (£9.90 for a glass of champagne and a beer, which came with complimentary nuts) and the service was very rapid and friendly. We chose not to dine in the hotel as there are a great many options just outside of the front door, however the continental breakfast was good and included old favorites alongside some more unusual choices.

We were provided with late check-out until 12:00 and were not disturbed during this time by housekeeping. Check-out was very efficient and we were able to leave our bags with the hotel until our train later in the evening.

Overall, this is an absolute gem of a hotel for the price and fantastically located for central Sheffield. Had it not been for the lack of a true king bed and other small details, I would be scoring 5/5. We would happily return.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor, courtyard facing room for a good night's sleep. Lower rooms presumably have...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ST186394
Leopold_Manager, General Manager at Leopold Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for review following your recent stay with us at the Leopold Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we very much look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Michael Skehan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Scarborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

Stayed here on business for one night, arrived late and was immediately served and shown to the lift. Ordered room service which was prompt and hot. Hotel was clean with everything I needed for one night. I did have a small problem that needed resolving and have to say that the staff at this hotel could not have been more professional and helpful in how they dealt with my problem. Heather and the team at this hotel should be proud of their standards and how they deal with their customers, truly inspirational and many other firms could learn from them!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank dixonrichard
Leopold_Manager, General Manager at Leopold Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and comments following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and how the team looked after you. We look forward to welcoming you back many more times to The Leopold Hotel.
Regards
Oswestry
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

A ‘boutique’ hotel right in the middle of Sheffield.

My wife and I recently had a one night layover in Sheffield and chose the Leopold from the TripAdvisor reviews. It is centrally located and lacks only an on-site car park. Parking is available nearby but take a sat nav with you or you might never find the hotel again, mark you, it might just be that I, being an old duffer who can get lost at night going to the bathroom, have simply lost my sense of direction!

We stayed in one of the mezzanine suites which at £99 is excellent value for money, plenty of space to spread out and a comfortable king sized bed so even the star fish next to me failed to push me onto the floor.

The one slight draw back was the temperature of the room. Hot air rises and with the bed on the upper level it was hot. Turning the aircon to 16 had no effect and it was not until the morning that I discovered one also had to find the ‘hot/cold’ control and turn it to cold or the stupid machine ignored the set temperature and continued to pump out hot air – go figure!
Reception apologised and admitted the room instructions were lacking and needed amending.

I made mention of the problem in their on-line comments form and had a reply back intimating it might be my fault as and I quote “ I am sorry that your room was too hot, I am sure one of our team who are available 24hours would have been happy to sort for you.” OK but who’s to know setting the temp at 16 doesn’t work?

Should I need to stay in Sheffield in the future I have no doubt I would pick the Leopold again but I might pack my sand shoes and a camel just in case!

Room Tip: Beware the AirCon!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us at the Leopold Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us overall despite the heat in your room. I do hope we get to welcome you back again soon.
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

I was a guest at an amazing wedding yesterday at the Leopold Hotel. The service was superb, the food was great, prices of alcohol and drinks a little on the expensive side, but didn't detract from a great venue! This venue is perfect for a smaller wedding as the room we were in nicely sat 60ppl and looked amazing. I dont know the costs and packages, but if it were my wedding day - I would have been so happy! (oh, and a little more custard with my sticky toffee would have nice, but still very tastey all the same)

Room Tip: Expensive bar tariff - no Jaegermeister either / Excellent Venue all the same
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Tom C

Thank you for your review following your attendance at a recent wedding at the Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed the day so much and we do hope to welcome you back again soon.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

This hotel is in an excellent location in the city centre, loads of bars and restaurants close by. We stayed overnight at the Leopold as we were attending a Christmas Party night in the hotel. Check in was very quick and efficient, the young lady on reception explained everything we needed to know and gave us a pre printed note with the details required for free WiFi. Our room was very nice, lovely and warm and clean. Everything was available including tea/coffee making, water, bathroom products etc.
The Chrismas party night went really well, very well organised, there were seat plans and place cards showing what each person had ordered. The waiters knew exactly where each meal was going so there was no confusion. Our drinks were constantly topped up by the waiters who were excellent all evening, nothing was too much trouble for them. Too often these days people only comment when they have a complaint, but compliments are just as important and the staff at the Leopold deserve praise.
Service at breakfast was just as good as was our check out. The staff try very hard to please their customers and should be commended for this.
A very well done to all at the Leopold.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Randjyorks
Leopold_Manager, General Manager at Leopold Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Guest
Manythanks for taking the time to review your stay and event at the Leopold. I am delighted that you had such a great night and the team and myself appreciate your very kind words on the whole event. I do hope we get to welcome you back soon and hopefully see you again in 2013 for your Christmas Party

Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

My daughter and myself stayed here on December 1st for 1 night. We found the staff very helpful and friendly. Our room was very clean and comfortable. Full english breakfast was included. I would suggest that if travelling by train to take the tram from the station to the hotel as there is a steepish bank to climb. The hotel has a excellent location for the City Hall and Leopold Square for a meal before a show. We would definately stay again when visiting Sheffield.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank margmil46
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you had a great stay and do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back soon.
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

Me and my partner stayed here on 1/12/2012 for one night and i would stop here again in the blink of an eye. The hotel was very clean and the standard double room was amazing. The hotel and room were very clean and the staff couldnt help us enough. We also used room service for breakfast and again the staff and food was amazing. Cant wait to go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thankyou for your review and kind words following your stay last weekend with us. I am delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.