“A Sheffield Hot Spot!”
Review of Leopold Hotel

Leopold Hotel
Ranked #10 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed December 23, 2012

A ‘boutique’ hotel right in the middle of Sheffield.

My wife and I recently had a one night layover in Sheffield and chose the Leopold from the TripAdvisor reviews. It is centrally located and lacks only an on-site car park. Parking is available nearby but take a sat nav with you or you might never find the hotel again, mark you, it might just be that I, being an old duffer who can get lost at night going to the bathroom, have simply lost my sense of direction!

We stayed in one of the mezzanine suites which at £99 is excellent value for money, plenty of space to spread out and a comfortable king sized bed so even the star fish next to me failed to push me onto the floor.

The one slight draw back was the temperature of the room. Hot air rises and with the bed on the upper level it was hot. Turning the aircon to 16 had no effect and it was not until the morning that I discovered one also had to find the ‘hot/cold’ control and turn it to cold or the stupid machine ignored the set temperature and continued to pump out hot air – go figure!
Reception apologised and admitted the room instructions were lacking and needed amending.

I made mention of the problem in their on-line comments form and had a reply back intimating it might be my fault as and I quote “ I am sorry that your room was too hot, I am sure one of our team who are available 24hours would have been happy to sort for you.” OK but who’s to know setting the temp at 16 doesn’t work?

Should I need to stay in Sheffield in the future I have no doubt I would pick the Leopold again but I might pack my sand shoes and a camel just in case!

Room Tip: Beware the AirCon!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Leopold_Manager, General Manager at Leopold Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us at the Leopold Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us overall despite the heat in your room. I do hope we get to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

I was a guest at an amazing wedding yesterday at the Leopold Hotel. The service was superb, the food was great, prices of alcohol and drinks a little on the expensive side, but didn't detract from a great venue! This venue is perfect for a smaller wedding as the room we were in nicely sat 60ppl and looked amazing. I dont know the costs and packages, but if it were my wedding day - I would have been so happy! (oh, and a little more custard with my sticky toffee would have nice, but still very tastey all the same)

Room Tip: Expensive bar tariff - no Jaegermeister either / Excellent Venue all the same
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Tom C

Thank you for your review following your attendance at a recent wedding at the Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed the day so much and we do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

This hotel is in an excellent location in the city centre, loads of bars and restaurants close by. We stayed overnight at the Leopold as we were attending a Christmas Party night in the hotel. Check in was very quick and efficient, the young lady on reception explained everything we needed to know and gave us a pre printed note with the details required for free WiFi. Our room was very nice, lovely and warm and clean. Everything was available including tea/coffee making, water, bathroom products etc.
The Chrismas party night went really well, very well organised, there were seat plans and place cards showing what each person had ordered. The waiters knew exactly where each meal was going so there was no confusion. Our drinks were constantly topped up by the waiters who were excellent all evening, nothing was too much trouble for them. Too often these days people only comment when they have a complaint, but compliments are just as important and the staff at the Leopold deserve praise.
Service at breakfast was just as good as was our check out. The staff try very hard to please their customers and should be commended for this.
A very well done to all at the Leopold.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Randjyorks
Leopold_Manager, General Manager at Leopold Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Dear Guest
Manythanks for taking the time to review your stay and event at the Leopold. I am delighted that you had such a great night and the team and myself appreciate your very kind words on the whole event. I do hope we get to welcome you back soon and hopefully see you again in 2013 for your Christmas Party

Reviewed December 3, 2012

My daughter and myself stayed here on December 1st for 1 night. We found the staff very helpful and friendly. Our room was very clean and comfortable. Full english breakfast was included. I would suggest that if travelling by train to take the tram from the station to the hotel as there is a steepish bank to climb. The hotel has a excellent location for the City Hall and Leopold Square for a meal before a show. We would definately stay again when visiting Sheffield.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank margmil46

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you had a great stay and do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Me and my partner stayed here on 1/12/2012 for one night and i would stop here again in the blink of an eye. The hotel was very clean and the standard double room was amazing. The hotel and room were very clean and the staff couldnt help us enough. We also used room service for breakfast and again the staff and food was amazing. Cant wait to go back.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thankyou for your review and kind words following your stay last weekend with us. I am delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Me and my husband stayed here Saturday 1st December, we are local but fancied a night away child free. We booked a mezzanine suite room which for £120 including continental breakfast which I thought was value for money and paid an extra £3 for full English. Upon arrival the staff were friendly and helpful. Our room was lovely but very dark but great with a separate living area to our bedroom which was on the next floor up. It felt like a little apartment. My tiny complaint about our room was the 2 uht milks but reception did bring a jug of milk to put in our fridge. I don't know why they don't do that anyway as they are plenty of tea and coffee?! The other thing was the water pressure is rubbish for the shower and taps it just dribbles out. Apart from that the bed was really comfy and lovely pillows. The hotel is in a perfect location for shops and bars an a stones throw away from division street and west street. We got a taxi to eccalsel road which is also a great night out for wine bars and restaurants. Would stay again.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and comments following your recent stay with us at the Leopold Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us adn very much look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

...than the Leopold Hotel. It is a delightful boutique hotel, with exceptionally good service from friendly staff and extremely comfortable accommodation. The building is solid and old-fashioned from the outside, and tastefully refurbished within. I didn't try the restaurant, but the bar and breakfast room provided entirely adequate facilities in a pleasant environment. My room was quiet and relatively spacious. I would have slept like a log in my lovely bed had it not been for a hacking cough. This place is thoroughly to be recommended.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Leopold_Manager, General Manager at Leopold Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Dear Guest

Many thanks for taking the time to review the Leopold Hotel following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and very much look forward to welcoming you back again soon.