“Great hotel in fantastic location”
Review of Leopold Hotel

Leopold Hotel
Ranked #11 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great hotel in fantastic location”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

i spent two nights at The Leopold Hotel in Sheffield and from the minute you cross the threshold, you get service with a smile and a superior level of interest that is rare in the hospitality industry.

Positives:

On check-in, the staff couldn't have been friendlier or helpful. I was offered everything from local knowledge and expertise to discounts at nearby restaurants and bars. I would give the check-in experience 10 out of 10.

The rooms is fairly small, but when you're travelling on business you don't need a lot of room. Added extras that set this hotel apart from the competition is things like complimentary WiFi and bottled water in the rooms. The rooms are nicely decorated and absolutely spotless, so maximum points from me!

The gold star has to go to the hotel's location. It's set on Leopold Square - it's the perfect place to unwind after a long day at the office with plenty of bars / restaurants to choose from. You're also a stone's throw from the Town Hall and the city centre.

Negatives:

It's not much, but on both days I had breakfast in my room they forgot either my tea or my orange juice. A quick call to reception had it sorted within minutes.

All in all, this is a great hotel in a fantastic location - I'll definitely be staying again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
General_Manager80, General Manager at Leopold Hotel, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
Dear Princess8592
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Leopold Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Michael Skehan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2012

The hotel is just around the corner from sheffield city hall ,it's very comfortable and really good value .
My trip was to go and see the comedy club at the city hall,leopold square has lots of brand new bars and is really pleasant .

Dear Guy M

Thank you for your review and comments frollowing your recent stay with us. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and all that Sheffield City Centre has to offer and we do hope to welcome you back again soon.
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2012

This hotel is very well located for central Sheffield, and smack next door to a lovely square containing 7 or so restaurants and restaurant bars. The hotel is well maintained, and the rooms are both modern and comfortable too. The staff are friendly and helpful.

Positives: well located, free WiFi, comfortable, clean, well priced - £80.

Negatives: no onsite parking, very small restaurant (ok for breakfast but not dinner).

I would recommend that you consider staying here.

Room Tip: Higher up on the 4th or 5th floors so that you avoid traffic and tram noise from ground level.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear RSP 71
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Loepold Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we do hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

We had to book a hotel in Sheffield during our stay for my sister's graduation. Found this hotel through small luxury hotel's website and made bookings despite it was twice the priceduring the graduation week - more than 120 pounds for a standard room only. The only advantage, clean and good location at the city centre. However, the room was extremely small, the water from shower was very weak and the staff was extremely rude. On one occasion when my husband tried to borrow an umbrella, how can we expect a hotel staff to say, "yes the hotel has an umbrella, but there is only one and I have to use it"?? I never thought such a thing would be said by a hotel staff. In Addison, when we checked out, the staff tried to put on an addition of 20 pounds to my bill for services rendered during my stay. I told them that we had not and did not have any time to use hotel services. He checked the receipts and smiled saying that he cannot find the receipt and there is no proof for having me to make payment for that sum. He looks as if I have committed some crime but only there is no proof to charge me. We left this hotel in anger. This is the worse SHL hotel that I have ever been to and I regret having chosen this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012
4 Thank adelalo0209
General_Manager80, Manager at Leopold Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Dear adelalo 0209
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us. I am dissappointed that you overall didnt enjoy your stay. It is always better if a guest speaks to a member of the management team before they leave if they are in any unhappy as it is very difficult to rectify an issue when it is brought up after the event. I do apologise if in anyway a member of our team came accross as unhelpful.
East Yorkshire
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Stayed here in July for two nights while meeting up with friends in Sheffield. We booked two double rooms. We thought we would get adjacent rooms but whilst rooms 149 and 150 sound adjacent they were on different floors. Sheffield and the hotel was very busy due to a combination of the Tramlines festival, graduation and a wedding coupled with the best weekend weather we have had for some time. On arrival we could not help but notice the lively nature of Leopold Square given the above and we liked that as we enjoy a lively scene.

The room was a little smaller and quite as boutique as I was expecting, but it was clean, well equipped and the bed turned out to be excellent - two good nights sleep. The lack of storage was annoying when staying over for two days and nights with only a limited wardrobe area and no real drawers to speak of and no place to place our luggage. The bathroom was nice and modern but the showerhead was loose and we could not have a stand up shower without it drooping down, this was annoying. The room was noisy from the events outside but that was fine as it was a special eventful weekend. The bar area was small but pleasant and looked out on the busy square so good for people watching. The square its self was a pleasant venue with live music both days and evening linked I think to the Tramline Festival which was excellent. The staff seemed very friendly and helpful. We did not have breakfast at the hotel due to issues raised in other posts I did not fancy it. We were out and about anyway quite early so we picked it up elsewhere. I probably would stay here again, especially as I was very impressed generally with Sheffield, its public realm and food offer. It came over as a very friendly city on the up.

Room Tip: if you do not like a lively scene do not get a room backing onto the square if you do they are are...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
General_Manager80, General Manager at Leopold Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Dear woodyfour
Thank you for your review and comments folloiwng your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you overall had a greta stay and note the points on the shower in your room, we will have maintenace do a check on all rooms as a result.
I am delighted that you enjoyed Sheffield and do hope that you would return to us in the near future

York
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stayed one night during the tramline festival. What a great party atmosphere!!

We shown to our room which was comfortable, well appointed and tastefully decorated if not a little on the small side (or cosy). No problem for us as we were only there for one night with overnight bags. The bed was comfortable and room quiet (128) which was pleasantly surprising considering there was a wedding in the hotel and the festival outside.

Service was great - shown to our room on arrival and room service was prompt (we ordered a pizza at 1ish in the morning and it arrived in 20mins).

Unfortunately we had a problem with the thermostat on the shower (it was stuck on boiling!) If it wasn't for this we would have given it 5 stars. However the reception staff found us another shower and were very apologetic. They also cancelled the additional room service charges etc. as an apology.

We would defintiely recommed the hotel. Look forward to going back again.

Dear bilks

thank you for your review following your recent stay wth us at the Leopold Hotel. I am delighted that overall you had a great stay and I note the issue with hot water and will have our maintenance team do do a full hotel check on this.
Thank you again and we do hope to welcome you back soon

Birmingham
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Stayed one night here in July. Room very compact,which was fine, king size bed was very comfortable, but the view out to the service yard wasn't what l was expecting so ask for a high floor if you want to look at something other than a brick wall! The window didn't open although there is air conditioning (still like a window that opens though! ) Would I stay again? probably not.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room with a view over the square.
Dear golidilocks
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. Unfortunately being in the city centre we dont have views over the city and dont claim to have either. Some of our rooms do overlook Leopold Sqare which is very nice indeed. It is a pity that you would not return to us becuase of this as if you request a room overlooking the courtyard we certainly would accomodate this if at all possible.