“One of the best”
Review of Leopold Hotel

Leopold Hotel
Ranked #13 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed October 9, 2011

I have just had another 4 night stay at Leopold Hotel. I travel to the UK regularly and this is one of my favourites. The reception staff through to the impeccable standard of the room will ensure I return for a further visit next time I come over from New Zealand.

Room Tip: I satyed in room 169 on the 4th floor-spacious and loads of natural light
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank nakiboys
General_Manager80, General Manager at Leopold Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2011

Dear Nakiboys
Thank you again for your kind words and review following you recent stay with us at the Leopold Hotel. I am delighted you had a great stay and we look forward to your next visit to us

Michael Skehan

Write a ReviewReviews (1,212)

Reviewed October 1, 2011

My mother & I were visiting family using our airmiles for the trip. The hotel was extremely comfortable and the staff were friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. We had a lovely weekend and would be pleased to stay there again in the future.

Room Tip: We were on the courtyard side which is noisy at the weekends due to bars in square, but we could bar...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo

Dear RosD762
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Leopold. I was dleighted to read that you and your mother really enjoyed your stay and we do hope to welcome you back again soon to the hotel

Reviewed September 24, 2011

Never posted a review before, but felt I needed to this time.

Looked this hotel up on the internet, then tried to book lt over the phone, feeling this is a more personal way, I asked the young lady who answered the call, if I could book the offer showing on the hotel internet site. She told me all rooms at that price were now sold out and would have to pay £11 more. I said 5 rooms were still showing available and would she check. She said definitely no more rooms at that rate.

I thanked her and said I would think about it and ended the call. Once off the phone I then booked over the internet at the lower rate with no problems.

I have stayed at most of the hotels now in and around Sheffield, due to my daughter being at uni. This hotel has always had mixed reviews, but as the price was good and it is a beautiful
building wanted to make my own opinion.

When checking in we were given room 128 on the second floor, Try as I might we could not find the room. 127 then a gap and 129, no signs for 128. So back down to reception with all our things to see what had gone wrong.

Once there, they explained you had to go to the staircase situated between 127 and 129, then go back down a flight of stairs to a room called the "Headmaster Study".

Well if you quaked in fear at school at being asked to go to the Headmaster study, we should have returned back to reception asked for another room.

The room is small, really only a single, but has all the essentials.The main issue is the noise. Party people till the early hours and then the bottle and rubbish collection at 6 am. After a 4 hour journey that day and the same for a return, you can imagine my husband and I were not looking our best by morning and totally exhausted.

When we checked out, the receptionist did ask if our stay had been enjoyable and we did tell him the noise was a problem. He did apologize, not much else he could do.

Would I stay again. Not on your nelly!!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank j P

Dear J P
Thank you for your review of the hotel. I was dissappointed to read that you didnt like the room you were allocated. Being in the city centre many of our rooms are street facing and I apologise if the noise was too much and caused you a restless night. I have not had any comments before in relation to the size of the room and I am sure if you had mentioned that the room was not big enough after you checked in we would have changed you.

Reviewed September 16, 2011

I have just returned from a 2-night stay at the hotel while working in Sheffield.

The hotel decor and finish is beautiful and they have tried to go the extra mile with the extra's in the room (ipod docking station, fridge, safe etc) BUT while they are trying to tick all the boxes to become a luxury hotel, they are ignoring the basic's and staff training should be on their list too.

There was nothing hideously wrong with it but given the way they market themselves I would have felt cheated if I had booked this as a leisure trip.

There was no consistency with the room servicing...no bin in the room the first night but one appeared on the second, splashing up the bathroom wall near bin where something (tea bag?) had been dropped and slashed but no-one had cleaned when serving the room, the tea/coffee sachets looked dog-eared and were not replenished properly, huge wet patch on carpet second day after the room was serviced.

The menu for bar and room service (same menu) is very limited and the food was awful when it came, breakfast was ok but nothing special, the TV didn't work well and no BBC because of the 'digital switch over'...but they should make this a priority.

The staff were all friendly, no-one was rude but..some of the customer facing staff could do with a bit more grooming (to put it nicely!) and long hair should be tied back if you are serving food...they were more like average 3* hotel staff put in a 4* environment and not given any extra training..with the exception of one or two reception staff. Although reception staff have been told/trained to read out your bill to you instead of printing it for you to look at first and in an open checkout area I'm sure the guy next to me didn't want me hearing his detailed itemised bill!

I booked an alarm call for the first morning but I didn't receive it, luckily I use alarm calls as back up to my own alarm but no everyone does.

This makes me sound fussy but if you see my other reviews, I am usually quite happy with the different levels of accommodation (B&B, premier Inns to 4*'s) but I do have expectations when the hotels marketing shouts about them and I came away feeling let down - I was pleased I was here on business and wasn't paying the bill myself, I would have felt cheated if I had booked this for a weekend away.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank SwindonGirl
General_Manager80, General Manager at Leopold Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2011

Dear SwindonGirl

Thank you for your review following your stay last week. I was dissappointed to read yur comments and apologise for the shortcomings you experienced. I will certainly take your points on boards and rectify the areas mentioned such as houseklling and reiterate staff grooming guidelines to all the team. We have had problems with the BBC channels lately which is due to the digital switchover in South Yorkshire, this should now be rectified. We are constantly striving to improve our guests experience at all times. We would prefer to deal with any issues a guest brings to our attention before they leave the hotel in order for us to put right before they leave. I do hope you would return to us in the future where i am sure you will experience our normal levels of guest care and attention.

Reviewed September 4, 2011

We stayed for 8 days and whilst the rooms were great and the staff friendly, the room servicing was sometimes on the sloppy side ie bed linen not changed on request, cups not cleaned, tea sachets etc not restocked or not completely. Having said that, as soon as I brought it to the attention of the reception staff, it was recitified immediately and without any problems. So overall, the accommodation and service was of a good standard.

Unfortunately, the real problem were the noise levels at the weekends, particularly Saturday nights when the neighbuoring club blasted out music until 2.00 am that not even the best double glazing in the world could dampen. Although not the hotel's fault in any way and there was nothing to be done, it spoiled 4 nights out of our 8 and judging by the numbers of 'do not disturb' signs the following morning, we weren't the only ones .

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank fabmumStamford
General_Manager80, General Manager at Leopold Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2011

Dear FabmumStamford
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us. I was dissappointed to read about the issues with the servicing of your room. The standards in our housekeeping department are normally very high, I apologise if on this occasion we were below normal standards. I have raised the issues with the team. I was glad that these were rectified immediately once brough to our attention however.
I am sorry about the noise from one of the local bars i do hope it didnt detract too much from your stay

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon

Reviewed September 4, 2011

This hotel is great value and could not be in a better location. Loads of bars and restaurants within five minutes walk. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011

Dear Downpark

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us at the Leopold Hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon

Reviewed September 1, 2011

We had our wedding party stay at the hotel. The staff were really friendly and helpful and we all enjoyed our stay.
Breakfast was really good, made to order and you could alter the cooked breakfast if you didnt like a particular item. Rooms really clean, though some were a bit smaller it was still a really nice stay and would recommend. Hotel is in the centre so the city is very accessible

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear krhigg
Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us at the Leopold Hotel, I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with and we do hope to welcome you back again soon to the Hotel.