“Mixed feelings” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cosmo Sheffield

Cosmo Sheffield
Ranked #82 of 1,418 Restaurants in Sheffield
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London, United Kingdom
“Mixed feelings”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Greeting was great, seated upon arrival quickly. I was still taking my coat off and was standing up when a somewhat half asleep sweaty smelling waiter asked what we wanted to drink. Draft bottomless drinks are unbranded premium cola and the likes. Buffet was ok, nice sushi but no chopsticks. Felt like an imbecile while trying to eat my sushi with fork. Thai roasted pork was super dry, black pepper chicken like a golf ball. Nice spare ribs and decent curry. Deserts didn't impress, pannacota all like rubber thanks to the gelatine as the main ingredient, gateaus all looked like Iceland ones from freezer. Ice cream in plastic boxes didn't appeal either. We were also reminded we had 90 minutes to eat as we were a walk in. As far as I'm concerned, we were customers, most of whom hadn't booked. This was lunch time, only a 2/3 of tables occupied and the lighting was just awful, felt as though it's evening with the lights turned down. I'll go again in a few months to see how it's improved, so far it seems just another one of your all you can eat chains.

• Arabic first
  • Polish first
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Our 2nd visit to Cosmo Sheffield”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

I booked a table for 2 before our visit to Sheffield for 17:30. Arrived just before time waited in the bar area and was attended to on time. Welcoming waitress arrived promptly took drinks order. We then went for food. All food was piping hot, well cooked and a good choice. This was the evening banquet. I could not find fault with anything. We had tried this restaurant when it first opened in Sheffield at a lunch time not as much choice but well cooked and hot. We shall be going again.

• Visited March 2014
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Disgraceful attitudes of staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

I pre-booked for a group of 17 friends. Although we were seated reasonably quickly the service went downhill from there. Only one drinks menu between all of us that was covered in greasy fingerprints. No one came to ask us if we wanted drinks, we had to try to get the attention of the servers which was not easy. Once we did the drinks took ages to arrive, I had to prompt the servers twice for my bottomless drink. It arrives as a clean empty glass and you go and help yourself. It does not take 20 minutes to find a clean glass and bring it to the table. Several members of the party experienced this, and some drinks never arrived so they gave up and went to the bar. Plates were not cleared away very soon and piled up on the table quickly.

No problems with the food itself, but the staff were unfriendly and had absolutely no customer service skills at all. I felt that some were outright rude.

We paid individually for the food and drinks, however a female member of staff refused to let us leave as one person had not paid. She said that it was "the dark girl" who had not paid. We made contact with the party member she meant as she had already left. It turns out she had paid and had two witnesses to this. Every member of the group paid.

To refer to my friend by the colour of her skin was racist and unacceptable. Some of the staff need some awareness training.

They were insistent that we paid for the costs of the meal and drink, which one girl did. The parents of two members of our party, who were dining separately from us, intervened as they shared our opinion that we should not have had to pay twice for my friend. The man who I presume was the manager appeared to be very angry and aggressive, which was not a pleasant thing for them to deal with on their wedding anniversary.

In the end they gave my friend half the cost back. I feel that this was insufficient compensation for the embarrassment, stress and inconvenience this caused us. The attitudes of the staff were accusatory and no apology for the inconvenience was offered.

I sent an email the day after asking for a prompt reply and have not received one. I know they read it because I put a read receipt that would let me know it had been received and read. I find that very ignorant.

I am very disappointed and would not go again unless they really pulled out the stops to compensate. I hope that they train their staff in diversity awareness and customer service before they upset someone much less tolerant than my friend.

• Visited March 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Briony R
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
“Good for a buffet dining experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

Buffet dining can't really be compared to a regular restaurant.
So in comparison to other buffet restaurants i have visited in the past this is definitely the best.

An all you can eat feast for £13.99 consisting of some genuinely pretty nice sushi, an overrated teppanyaki which i think was nothing special & some standard buffet quality mains.

The Desert selection is great offering a wide choice of mini deserts manageable even after copious servings of mains.

Booking is advised with it being a new place, seems to be attracting a big crowd with it being new.

• Visited February 2014
York, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

Having been to few buffet places, some good & some very bad, we read that this place had opened recently & been in Sheffield for the weekend, decided to give it a go.
Firstly, make sure you pre book. We booked forFriday night at 8.00pm & when we turned up at 7.45 the lobby was rammed. Credit to them though we were seated at our table at 8.05 pm.
We prefer buffets as having two yound children, its good for them to try new things & it's also a slightly more "informal" dining experience.
I have to say the selection of food was massive & the vast majority of it that me & the rest of our party tried was very tasty, hot & well cooked. The dessert selection was large as well & we liked the fact that alot of the puddings were small bite size portions so that you could try lots of different ones without have a large plate full. The kids obviously thought the chocolate fountain was ace.
Service was ok, had to wait abit to give drinks order but the plates were cleared away promptly while we were eating. Placed like this are never going to be a quiet enviornment & it was quiet noisey inside the restaurent but it was heaving.
All in all, we really enjoyed the experience & its probably one of the best buffet restaurants we have visited in terms of selection of food & quality of food.

• Visited February 2014