“Great! :) ”

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
“Great! :) ”
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

As a regular customer to insanity, I completely disagree with the negative comment on here.

The staff are very welcoming and engaging with customers and I could not imagine them being any other way. They are especially good with my four year old son, always keeping him amused when we visit.

The food, drinks and cakes are all fairly priced, being mostly home made too. There are various pieces of artwork displayed throughout the cafe, which are produced by a local artist and are available for sale. There are deals on regularly, including a 'match day special' and various groups on each month, such as a writer's group which is led by one of the owners and her daughter.

Great atmosphere and a great family run business. Thank you and keep up the good work guys!

InsanityBistro, Owner at Insanity, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you for your review of Insanity.

I am very happy that to hear you are a regular customer and have had good experiences here. I hope you will visit us again soon.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“poor, no atmosphere, miserable unfriendly staff”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

i visited this cafe when it first opened and was greeted by miserable looking staff who did not acknowledge me. the coffee was poor, the cafe unwelcoming and the few cakes i saw looked shop bought. I ventured there again recently but walked straight back out again, as nothing had changed. it must be difficult to take on premises that have already failed twice as a cafe, especially with novices in charge, but its just in the wrong spot, still unwelcoming and not at all appealing. Prices are higher than most in the area. There are much nicer cafes just a few hundred yards to either side of it. There's no way i'd want to visit on an evening amidst all the fast food outlets. Also, they should have researched the area first as the name is offensive and insensitive, especially given the history of the area.

• Visited January 2014
6 Thank lattefiend
InsanityBistro, Owner at Insanity, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review Insanity.

I am saddened that you find the name objectionable. However, Insanity was not named with an intention to cause offense. It was intended purely to be a talking point and different to the names of any other local establishments. It is very hard to find a good name for any business that has not already been used and trademarked as Insanity and our coffee devil logo have been. We applied for the trademarks before we even chose a premises.

You are the only person to give an adverse reaction to it. We actually have a mental health support group use the premises as a meeting venue. This of course, does not make your opinion any less valid.

I am happy to hear that you did try Insanity twice despite your strong aversion to our name. I am sorry you did not enjoy either experience. Unfortunately, you didn't make your issues known when you visited and there was a chance I could do something to remedy the situation. There is very little I can do in response to a review, other than take note of your opinions.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Refreshing”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

This is a vast improvement on anything we have locally, the staff are very welcoming and friendly and nothing seems too much trouble. The breakfast is highly recommended and one of the best we've had anywhere. Excellent produce and a good selection. Also the coffee and cakes are very good, the brownies are wicked! We have not yet tried the bistro evenings but are planning to do this soon. The establishment is quite large and very new, we understand a music license has been applied for and a writers group has been started, the mother and daughter are writers themselves and one of the other female staff is an artists, all of this makes for a pleasant and interesting conversation for those that want it. Given all of this I would say that Insanity has a very creative future and we look forward to watching it grow and would highly recommend it to visitor or locals alike.

• Visited January 2014
InsanityBistro, Owner at Insanity, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us. I'm glad you enjoy visiting us and hope to see you again soon.
Birmingham UK
“Great coffee but lacking in atmosphere ”
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

This location has a chequered past with a few attempts to establish a cafe here.

The coffee in Insanity is the big surprise. It is very good, easily better than the nearby Riverside and even cheaper, if that was possible. Cappuccino is silky and robustly flavoured; espresso served properly.

But it's like drinking in a warehouse. There is no sugar or adornment on the tables. The lighting is very bright. There's no art on the walls. There's no music: although no big fan of musak it can add a little je ne sais quoi to otherwise quiet establishments.

Another problem is that the food offer is unappetisingly presented and appears over priced. It is perhaps not sure whether it wants to be a coffee house or a bistro. I would suggest that the former is a better prospect in his neck of the woods.

Insanity is a mixed bag. It could do well but needs to rethink its target market and focus on improving the atmosphere.

1 Thank fastcar0121
InsanityBistro, Owner at Insanity, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you for visiting Insanity and for leaving a review.

From the date of your review, you visited us less than a month after we had opened. You were also unlucky enough to come between our Christmas decorations coming down and our art being hung. We have an offsite exhibition from the beautiful contemporary gallery across the road (Cupola) so you got the bare wall period. I agree it was very grey.

As for music, that has has also been remedied since you visited. I couldn't play music without being correctly licensed and obtaining the correct planning permission.

Maybe if you visit again you will find the ambiance more to your liking. I'm glad you like the coffee at least.