“Great value”

Ranked #5 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
London, United Kingdom
“Great value”
Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

We took advantage of a Sunday night spa stay. The hotel is very nice, it is quality without being intimidating. The room was pleasant and spacious with a good sized bathroom. One very minor concern ref the room was the lack of nets to prevent people seeing in when the curtains are open.
The food served for dinner was very rich but very enjoyable. The staff who served us were very pleasant and made us feel very comfortable. Breakfast was very nice, I liked that I could get items cooked how I liked them.
The spa was nice. The pool was very nice, the blue over lighting made it very relaxing. We both enjoyed the rooms. Only thing missing was a whirlpool. The changing rooms did leave some thing to be desired, they looked like they had a leaking roof. Overall an excellent value hotel.

• Stayed August 2014
Luisa E, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear Guest Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Mercure St Paul's Sheffield. I was delighted to read your feedback and have noted all your comments. I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future. Best Regards Luisa Esposito

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
  • Polish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2014

Super friendly and efficient staff. Lovely room with fantastic views and a great central location. The spa is excellent too with two types of steam room, sauna and an ice room. We now wish we'd opted for breakfast as well.

Room Tip: We asked for a corner room, which gives you amazing views of the city.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Luisa E, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear Guest Thank you for taking the time to review you recent stay at Mercure St Paul's Sheffield. I was delighted with your feedback and will ensure the team are aware of it. Additionally I do hope we can welcome you back and then you will be able to enjoy the fantastic breakfasts we serve! Best Regards Luisa Esposito
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2014

Over the past few years, I have stayed in hotels all over England and Wales. Without question, this was far and away the best (and I have stayed in some great hotels).

There was a small problem when we arrived as details of our booking had not been received from the agent. It was quickly sorted by Sandeep who was so courteous, professional and respectful, that it felt as though the problem never existed and we were quickly checked in.

Our room was large, airy and spotlessly clean, the beds comfortable and the bathroom huge, with a great walk-in shower, as well as a bath. Plenty of white, fluffy towels and quality toiletries completed the picture. We ate dinner in the dining room each night - good food, served by friendly staff. Breakfast was excellent. I would recommend the continental option where the selection is amazing....everything from cold meats to pastries. The biggest choice I have ever seen in any hotel.

I whole heartedly agree with another reviewer who said that this hotel should be rated number one hotel in Sheffield - by miles. In fact, I will be looking for the Mercure brand when travelling in future.

A great big 'thank you' to every member of the lovely staff. My grandson and I were made to feel welcome from the moment we arrived. Our only regret is that we didn't find this hotel sooner.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Luisa E, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2014
Dear Guest Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review of your recent stay at Mercure St Paul's Sheffield. I was delighted to read your comments and please be assured the team will be too. I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future. Best Regards Luisa Esposito General Manager
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 7, 2014

Booked a spa day for my Mum's birthday here. It was absolutely fantastic. Started with a swim in the pool and a bit of relaxing in the thermal suite. Then we had a reserved booth for lunch in the champagne bar. Sandwiches and wraps were included in the deal, but for just £2 you could upgrade to main meals. We both had the Gourmet steak burger with a generous glass of Merlot (included in the spaseekers package). It was well worth the extra couple of quid.

We then had a back, neck and shoulder massage, which nearly sent me off to sleep, and a manicure in our choice of colour. (You can also choose pediucures, facials, scalp and leg massages in the deal). The staff were great and after I accidentally chipped a nail they were more than happy to fix it for me. We finished the day with a lounge in the gorgeous relaxation room and a cup of two of the complementary coffee.

It was brilliant. Although it was a bit of a shame that there was no Jacuzzi, the facilities, staff and price more than made up for it. I am already booking another spa day on Christmas eve with my partner and I would highly recommend it.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Luisa E, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Dear Guest Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent visit to Spa Naturel at Mercure St Paul's. I was delighted to read your enjoyed your time with us and look forward to welcoming you back on Christmas Eve. Best Regards Luisa Esposito General Manager
Switzerland
Reviewed August 6, 2014

A modern and well appointed hotel, very conveniently located in the heart of Sheffield. From the moment I checked in it was clear that the front of house team were very keen to please. The service was friendly if just a little subservient for my taste but it was difficult to fault the attitude. The public areas, Bar and Restaurant are stylish and comfortable and the service there is equally impressive.

My partner and I had chosen a Junior Suite which was spacious and very typical of a chain of this type but with a couple of nice touches including an Espresso machine. Our only complaint was that the room was quite hot and with the air conditioning system running, the noise was a little intrusive.

The buffet breakfast was of reasonably good quality with an excellent selection of traditional English and Continental dishes. A number of additional dishes ( Kippers , Eggs Benedict) were also available a la carte.

Checkout and the return of my car which had been valet parked ( £23 per night) was smooth, although there was a slight delay in locating some produce that I had asked to store in a refrigerator. It was possible to extend the normal checkout until 1300 free of charge but each additional hour thereafter is £20. A little pricey but this was a minor hassle in what was all in all a very good stay. I will certainly return the next time I'm in the area.

Room Tip: Junior suites are in the corner and on the second floor 233 overlooks the peace gardens.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest Thank you for taking the time to review Mercure St Paul's Sheffield. I was thrilled with your feedback and will ensure the team are aware of it. I am also a great fan of the junior suites and am pleased you enjoyed yours. I sincerely hope we will be welcoming you back in the future. Best Regards Luisa Esposito General Manager
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2014

This hotel was my life for five years. I spent at least three if not four nights a week here.
I ate breakfast, used the gym but never ate in the evening.
The bar staff were excellent as were the door men.
This hotel is the centre of all that is Sheffield.
Well worth a visit.
Make sure you don't visit when the snooker is on because you will not get a room!

Room Tip: Ask for a Town Hall view room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest Thank you for taking the time to review Mercure St Paul's Sheffield. I was delighted with your feedback and will ensure the team are aware of it. Additionally I would like to thank you for choosing Mercure St Paul's Sheffield as you hotel of choice during the past five years and sincerely hope we can keep welcoming you back in the future. Best Regards Luisa Esposito General Manager
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Stayed with friends over the weekend
the service was outstanding
Stayed here last yr when friends came over, and it's actually even better than before
would recommend a stay , its well worth the price, and well located in Sheffield

Andy

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Luisa E, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Dear Guest Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Mercure St Paul;s Sheffield.I was delighted to read your comments and very pleased to read you thought the service was even better than last year! I hope we can welcome you back in the near future. Best Regards Luisa Esposito