“Nice hotel”

Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel
Ranked #5 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed September 15, 2013

The staff in the hotel are all very helpful and friendly althoughntherevwere language issues at breakfast.

Rooms are clean and well laid out. The place has a nice buzz about it. A pleasant atmospheric which to have a drink at the bar.

It's very conveniently situated in the city centre.

The two drawbacks were no onsite parking and being unfamiliar with the city centre it took me ages to find the car park. It was reduced to £6.50 a night for hotel guests though. If you have large amounts of luggage to transport you would be better of using the valet parking. Expensive though at £23 a night. The other nigglevwasvthatbthe breakfast buffet looked a bit on the tired side. I asked for boiled eggs abpnd they came literally raw inside and without an eggcup. I asked for an eggcup to be brought a coffee cup. Ended up paying £10 for tea and toast!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Luisa E, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear Guest Thank you very much fro taking the time to review your stay at Mercure St Paul's Hotel and Spa, I was most pleased to read it and have noted your feedback regarding breakfast and parking. I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future. Best Regards Luisa Esposito

There are newer reviews for Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel

Reviewed September 14, 2013

We stayed here last night as we were visiting Sheffield University's open day this morning and needed somewhere to stay as we were travelling quite a distance to get there. The hotel was in a great location and it was excellent value for money for such a nice hotel. The only thing that let it down badly was the policy of reception to immediately answer the telephone despite being in the middle of dealing with a customer face to face. This happened when we checked in when the receptionist, right in the middle of dealing with me, answered the phone and proceeded to have a long conversation with another customer about a booking he wanted to make for a wedding party. I thought this was very rude but didn't say anything. However, later that evening we went to reception to book breakfast for the following morning and, once again, during the conversation about breakfast and the cost etc, the phone rang and she immediately answered it whilst we stood there waiting for her to finish her phone call and come back to us. This time I did comment that I felt it was bad customer service to leave us standing there in the middle of a conversation whilst she answered the phone and when I queried if it was hotel policy, she said that it was. Apparently the manager feels that the customer on the end of the phone is obviously not aware of people being dealt with face to face so wouldn't appreciate an unanswered call, however we can hear the phone ring and know that the receptionist will come back to deal with us when she has finished the phone call. In my opinion this is very poor customer service and gives the impression that the person on the end of the phone is more highly valued than the guest who is standing at the reception desk and abandoned during an interaction. Very poor show and actually just basic bad manners.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank madmary66
Luisa E, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

Dear Guest Thank you for your feedback. I would be grateful if you would contact me on 0114 278 2000 to enable me to discuss the points you have raised. Best Regards Luisa Esposito

Reviewed September 14, 2013

This is a centrally located hotel - literally next door to the botanical gardens - and it has a spa within, it is because of this that I booked it for my sister's hen party. From the start the hotel were brilliant - assisting with extra requirements and the group booking went ahead without many hiccups :) The reservations team dealt with my endless questions and changes admirably, making suggestions and ensuring that we felt looked after. It was a group of 14 so there were lots of last minute can we, are we allowed this, and can we change this? The team worked hard to ensure that we got what we wanted - we booked the spa reviver package but had already booked a meal outs they rearranged that aspect of the package for us. Super work.

The hotel itself were fab. Stunning reception area, immaculate rooms and customer orientated staff. We were well and truly pampered from start to finish. We arrived in the morning at 11 and the team had done a great job of securing our rooms - all on the same floor - so that we could get ready for the spa treatments. We all went up and dropped our bags, everyone was happy with the facilities - rooms had views, were spacious and modern. Including a port for our mp3 players. We then started our day off in the champagne bar - cocktails at 11.30! The service here was a little slow but to be fair we had arrived before the bartender so the waiter from morning service did his best to accommodate us. The sandwiches were hot and delicious - pulled pork was a favourite. The cocktails were worth the wait, and although a little pricey, used quality ingredients and felt special.

The spa was amazing - Phil, Andy and the rest of the team worked so hard booking us all in and ensuring we were all finished by 4 - we were out for 5 you see. They were pleasant and patient, taking time with us and not getting too frustrated at us (making sure everyone got to the right places at the right time). Although it was busy, with another hen party and other guests, the spa didn't feel anything other than relaxing. Super job! I had the Madagascan Escape treatment which was divine, I think I floated out of the room :) The oils were amazing. Definitely worth the extra on top of the package costs.

Breakfast was yummy and ended our experience on a lovely note, excellent work to the tall guy who managed the bar/restaurant area both for his work on the Saturday and the Sunday - he was ace. Sorry I didn't catch his name!

I would definitely recommend staying here, in fact we're already thinking of when we can next do the spa package!

Thanks again :)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest Thank you very muchfor taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Mercure St Paul's Hotel and Spa. It was a pleasure to read such feedback and I will ensure all the team are aware of this. I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future. Best Regards Luisa Esposito

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Beautiful hotel. Immaculately kept breakfast had a vast selection and was enjoyable. All the staff were welcoming and friendly. I was on a business trip but would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a genuinely nice place to stay. Biggest bug bare was parking. There is an NCP Carpark around 10 mins away or £25 to park at the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Luisa E, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2013

Dear Guest Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review following your recent stay at Mercure St Paul's Sheffield. I was delighted to read your comments and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Best Regards Luisa Esposito

Reviewed September 11, 2013

I spent a night in the Mercure Sheffield recently and was very impressed. The hotel itself is right in the city centre and as I was running late went for the valet parking as well. Hotel looks quite new and very clean and classy, the only mark downs I could give it are the rooms carpet, the room was amazing but the carpet was loose fitting which spoilt the room. Other than that the bed was a little saggy in the middle.
I would stay here again

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Ozzietraveller68

Dear Guest Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Mercure St Paul's Hotel and Spa. I was pleased with your feedback. I am also pleased to advise you we are currently undergoing a programme to uprade our carpets and beds. I do hope you will return to enjoy this in the near future. Best Regards Luisa Esposito

Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I visited the mecure for our 2nd wedding anniversary. We booked the spa reviver package for 1 night and were familiar with the hotel due to living close to Sheffield and having visited the champagne bar on one previous occasion.

Our first impression was very good, friendly staff on the front desk and we were upgraded to a fantastic prestige room with amazing views over the city. We did not order a wake up call, but did order a newspaper for the morning. On arriving in our room the phone promptly rang - front desk checking we liked our room and to let us know the soft drinks and water in the mini bar would be complimentary for our stay - a very nice touch! We also had robes and slippers in our room. The room was lovely and the bed extremely comfortable.

In the package you get up to £70 worth if treatments to spend in the spa- unfortunately it was a busy weekend with two hen parties also enjoying the facilities so I could only book in for two treatments which did not amount to the allocated value which was a bit of a shame. The pool and rooms were nice, however one of the toilets in the ladies changing rooms resembled that of a nightclub, the toilet roll was balanced on the sanitary bin as the toilet tool holder was broken, the tap was broken and the soap dispenser badly tarnished- all in all in desperate need of some TLC. I had a body brush - you get the keep the brush which is nice!- and a 25 minute hot stone massage which was very relaxing. My husband enjoyed the gym which was very well equipped.

As part of the package you get a three course dinner which is from a set menu. I am a vegetarian so the choice was very easy as there was only two starter options and one main option neither of which very inspiring and we were not offered the opportunity to see the other full menu which I would I would of liked to see and would of paid extra for a better option. The goats cheese starter was beautifully presented but the cheese was very strong and I couldn't eat all if it. The main course was spinach and ricotta tortellini - nothing special and something I could have cooked at home. My husband had the pea and mint soup (wish I'd had) which was
very nice and he had the fish course which was ok. The saving grace was desert both if which were very nice.

Breakfast was very good, great selection of options both healthy and more unhealthy.

Overall we enjoyed our stay but felt a little short changed due to the meal and availability of treatments at the spa. We would visit again but we wouldn't book a package deal.

• Stayed: September 2013
Luisa E, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear Guest Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Mercure St Paul's Sheffield. I was pleased to read your feedback however disappointed with your comments regarding Dinner and the spa changing facilities. I do hope this will not deter you from visiting the hotel in the future. Best Regards Luisa Esposito

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Stayed at the hotel during the Christmas period last year. The hotel is in an amazing location, within walking distance of so many wonderful restaurants and bars. Right next to the peace gardens and Winter Gardens. Had a lovely walk around the city in the evening. The hotel room was wonderful- extremely clean and well maintained. Plenty of space and beautiful views over the city. Couldn't fault the room or public areas at all. The drinks in the bar are pricey (as to be expected) but that isn't a problem as you are right in the centre of a whole host of other bars etc. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay here- but it was unfortunately ruined slightly the day we were due to check out when my Husband and I were woken three hours before check out time by housekeeping barging into the room (whilst we still in bed asleep!). This really made me feel quite unsafe in the hotel and slightly violated to be quite honest! Although, do not let this incident put you off, as hopefully it was a one off mis-hap... overall a lovely,,top class hotel in a brilliant location.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Luisa E, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2013

Dear Guest Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Mercure St Paul's Sheffield. I was pleased to read your comments however concerned to read your feedback regarding the housekeeping department. Please be assured I will take the necessary action to ensure this is not repeated. Once again thank you for yoru review and I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future. Best Regards Luisa Esposito