“Nice enough hotel but never eat there”

Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel
Ranked #8 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed July 17, 2013

The hotel itself is pretty average for a 4 star hotel in the UK but has a better than average gym (good enough that they sell stand alone gym memberships) and the benefit of spa facilities.

The staff are very polite and attentive and the standard of housekeeping was very good.

My 1 complaint is the quality of food served in the main restaurant. My first meal was a rib eye steak served with onion rings and chunky chips. I asked for the steak to be cooked rare however it was actually served medium to well. The reason for this error appeared to be the thickness of the steak. Advertised as 8 ounces, however it was only around 1cm thick. This steak would have been well done the instant it hit the grill! The chunky chips were soggy and not very nice. I came away with the impression that the look of the plate was more important to the chef than the quality of the food. To cap it all I was charged £5 for a Bottle of water

My suspicions were confirmed upon my next visit. A very tasty starter of pea soup lulled me into a false sense of security as the main dish was even more disappointing than my previous visit. A piri piri chicken burger was actually presented as a plain, dry chicken breast served in a bun with a sliver of tomato and a large lettuce leaf. Presumably they had run out of piri piri spice as they provided burger relish instead. The chunky chips on my previous visit were a disappointment but the fries served with my burger were soggy oven chips!

In short, a nice hotel set in a fantastic location but please please please dine at 1 of the surrounding restaurants if you value substance over style.

• Stayed: July 2013
Luisa E, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Dear Guest Thank you very much for your review following your stay with us at Mercure St Paul's Hotel and Spa. I have noted your comments and will ensure the team are aware of your feedback. Best Regards Luisa Esposito

Write a ReviewReviews (2,511)

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Me and my fiancee recently stayed here for a ling weekend away, and we enjoyed our stay despite a few little niggles.

We arrived around half 6 on Friday evening after getting the train from Southampton, the hotel is roughly a 10 minute walk from Sheffield Train Station and is a nice walk, we checked in quickly and by friendly staff, although they had an incorrect address on my records, apparently I live in West Yorkshire which is not the case.

We opted for a Privilege room and soon arrived at room 503, a nice room with a nice and clear decor and style, as it was very warm one of the first things was to put the air conditioning on, ahh much better, except this air conditioner didn't want to throw out any cold air, we called Reception going on the basis that we were probably doing something wrong, a very friendly gentleman arrived a few minutes later and confirmed it was not working so opted to bring up a portable unit which we said was fine, however we noticed a rather horrible smell coming from the bathroom, the bathroom itself was clean and all I can describe it to is like a blocked drain that needs clearing smell.

Because of this we were moved rooms and soon relocated to room 525, a slightly different layout but still the same features including a fully functioning air conditioner and no smelly bathroom, our next problem was the loud neighbors, 3 calls to reception around midnight and they either finally got the hint or tiredness kicked in from our end.

Despite these small problems we enjoyed the rest of our stay, the rooms are very nice (if you have stayed at Mercure Holland House in Cardiff), you will have a good idea what to expect in the same colours, carpet, decor and bathroom with separate bath and shower, we enjoyed it there and as such were comfortable here, nice TV with good range of channels, lots of tea and coffee, mini bar with stock options and nice toiletries.

The hotel itself is located central to Sheffield, the shops are nearby as is an ODEON Cinema, the hotel itself is very bright, clean and staffed by friendly and helpful people, no complaints on that front, we did plan to use the pool but sadly we ran out of time so we did not get a chance, neither did we get a chance to eat in the restaurant or sample breakfast so I cannot review these.

Overall we enjoyed our stay and for the price felt it was a good deal, on our next visit to Sheffield we will definitely look at this place first.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest Thank you very much for your lovely review following your stay with us at Mercure St Paul's Hotel and Spa. I will ensure the team are aware of your feedback. Best Regards Luisa Esposito

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Luisa E, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank BigT306

Reviewed July 15, 2013

I am a self confessed fussy customer, but my stay at the Mercure hotel Sheffield was fabulous. Great location, the room was quiet, the bed very comfortable and the swimming pool much better than most in hotels.

The breakfast was good. My only comment would be that the bread for toast was not up to the standard of the other breakfast items.

Best of all was the customer service. The staff were attentive without being over zealous. They were very helpful when I left a piece of jewellery behind in my room.

L Palmer

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Luisa E, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We wanted to take back the mother of my husband to Sheffield where she used to accompany French teenagers on a linguistic exchange, and this for more than 20 years, during her holidays when she was a teacher and needed at the same time to take our son back to his university lodging for his final year. After reading the trip advisor reviews, I opted for the mercure because it was at the heart of the city and had overall very positive reviews. We were not disappointed at all. The bedrooms (booked at a discount rate, - 40% through an offer on the Accor website) were modern, clean, comfortable; the location was ideal, in the middle of the city centre. In the morning, the breakfast was fresh, excellent and plentiful. Check in and check out were pleasant and speedy experiences. If we wish to stay overnight again in the city the Mercure will certainly be our preferred option. We haven't tried the spa.
Finally, the fact that there was no car park was not an issue for our stay. There was plenty of very cheap (we come from London, so anything lower than 4 pounds an hour seems cheap) parking options nearby.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay at Mercure St Paul's Sheffield. I was pleased to read your comments and do hope we can welcome you back in the near future. Best Regards Luisa Esposito

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Friendly staff at check in. Excellent price for the standard and quality of the hotel. The room is spacious and very clean. Will like to stay here when next I visit Sheffield.
I am pleased and willing to recommend this hotel to my friends. I will also recommend the use of the spa and gym facilities.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family