“Excellent city centre hotel”

Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel
Ranked #6 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Hagley, United Kingdom
“Excellent city centre hotel”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Stayed here at the end of March 2013 for one night. Very impressed. The bar area and reception is very well done and I can compliment the staff enough. This makes the difference in my opinion and all were excellent.

The room was nothing to write home about but for £74 it was clean, spacious and had everything we needed. Bathroom was well appointed and the shower excellent - for some reason the tap in the bathroom sink only ran hot water though!

We didn't eat there but used the champagne bar which was excellent. This hotel will attract stag and hen parties so be warned if you want to avoid that sort of thing - we had a group of lads either side of our room who were quite noisy early evening. No problems late at night though - probably one shandy too many sent them to sleep.

1 Thank jonosmithuk
Luisa E, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Guest Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review following your recent stay at Mercure St Paul's Sheffield. I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future. Best Regards Luisa Esposito

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
  • Polish first
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Firstly let me say i have stopped in hundreds of hotels. Then let me say that this hotel would easily slot into my top 3. From the start to finish the staff made my stay very very special. They are a credit to mercure. Will definately be staying here again. Cannot give any further review as there are no faults at all with this hotel. Thanks st pauls

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank paul m
Dear Guest Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Mercure St Paul's Sheffield. It is always a pleasure to receive such feedback and I will ensure the team are aware of it. Best Regards Luisa Esposito
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I was visiting Sheffield for a concert at the City Hall and this hotel was easy to find within easy walking distance from the train station and only a few minutes walk from the City Hall. Fantastic location, clean rooms, comfy bed and friendly staff. It met all my needs and I would definitely consider staying here again. The only downside is that £9 for 24 hours of WiFi is extremely steep, I would expect this to be a free service in a four star hotel so I used my mobile as a WIFI hotspot instead.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank dazza_stoke
Luisa E, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear Guest Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Mercure St Paul's Sheffield. I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and I have noted your comments regarding the WIFI. Best Regards Luisa Esposito
Barnsley, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Honestly it's quite a nice hotel, I think it makes it out to be more than it is but that's just my opinion. It is very clean, food was ok, and drinks were immensely expensive. I mean a £5 room service charge per tray - we only had one! Lovely view over the peace gardens though even though we were only on the 3rd floor!

We had a meal in the restaurant, and to be honest it was average of the fancy restaurants you get these days - in between Nando's and Claridges.

Main point of me writing this article and I do feel I give fair reviews in places I have stayed, but - we were tidying our room after a one night stay in the hotel and my fiance looked under the bed to check for any belongings that may have slipped under during the night etc. and was very surprised to see a 12" vibrating, sex toy lodged under the bed - a clear sign the cleaners could do better. Thankfully we were able to laugh it off after they finally agreed to give us HALF our money back.

So all in all not too bad, I would stay there again - if they were a bit cheaper. Premier inn on St Mary's gate is a better hotel, and cheaper too.

All things considered - Meh!

2 Thank Ben G
Dear Guest Thank you for writing a review following you recent stay at Mercure St Paul's Sheffield. I am sorry that you faced some issues during your stay and am pleased that the team on duty resolved the matter for you. Best Regards Luisa Esposito
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We had a wonderful relaxing stay at the mecure hotel. Philip who checked us in was very friendly and made us feel very welcome. We only stayed on a room only basis so didn't eat in the restaurant. I would definitely stay again.

1 Thank Loveto206
Dear Guest Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Mercure St Paul's Sheffield. It was a pleasure to read your feedback and I do hope we can welcome you back in the near furture. Best Regards Luisa Esposito
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I've stayed at the Mercure Hotel for a few days and i'm pleased to say i've been happy all the way through it.

As every place it isn't perfect overall but the staff is great and always ready to go the extra mile to please your stay. The greatest thing is the location, bang in the heart of the city centre!

That said very few pubs and bars can compete with the cool atmosphere you feel at the bar of the Mercure. Their bar is a sure place to spend a weekend night relaxing while having a nice drink.

Really happy i stopped there and i'll be surely back soon, maybe not to stay overnight but surely for a drink or two ;)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Luisa E, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Guest Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Mercure St Paul's Hotel and Spa Sheffield. I was pleased to read your feedback and I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future. Best Regards Luisa Esposito
Yorkshire
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I am a member of the gym and spa at this hotel and to be honest I have watched it go down hill. It is in need of a refurbishment. The gym equipment is out dated by today's standards, the pool is frequently cold, the tiles are grubby and the changing rooms are dreary, cramped and often untidy. This place used to be lovely and felt luxurious but now it isn't. Members have to take their own towels, the shower gel in the showers is terrible and cheap, I always use my own. A good spa provides quality products for showering and washing hair. This place could be so much better but instead is resorting to offering cheap deals on sites like Groupon to bring in the numbers. They should take a look at a good spa like Eden Hall where you can have a luxury experience for around £70 per day including a very nice meal and take a leaf out of their book. I keep hoping it will get better but it doesn't!

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank mummybobYorkshire
Luisa E, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Spa Member Thank you for writing a review of Spa Naturel Sheffield. I would be pleased if you would contact me directly to enable the issues you raise to be fully investigated. Best Regards Luisa Esposito