“valentines treat”

Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel
Ranked #5 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

stayed on the valentine day treat . what a wonderful stay the evening food was superb a three course meal . option of breakfast in bed which was devine . also us of the leasure facilitys , will have to return to sample more delights of this hotel

• Stayed: February 2013
Luisa E, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Dear Guest Thank you very much for writing such a lovely review following your recent stay at Mercure St Paul's Hotel and Spa. I was pleased to read you have a great time and I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future. Best Regards Luisa Esposito

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Visited weekend of 8th-10th February for birthday getaway.
Have stayed here a few times and hotel never disappoints. Good for it's 4 star rating in great location by the millenium gardens in the heart of the city.
Great for shops and all amenities which are pedestrian walk ways. Sheffield has superb tram system for getting out and about including frequent trams to Meadowhall for shopping which also passes Don Valley Arena and the Motorpoint Arena for all the big tours - Strictly Come Dancing, Olly Murs etc. Get the day rover and travel all day for 1 price.
Hotel Spa has had a couple of additions since we last stayed and was being well used.
Buffet Breakfast was very good, but can be pricey in isolation so aim to book inclusive of room rate.
We had booked the privilege rooms which come free mini bar for soft drinks & water - great views of the city.
Staff continue to maintain the 4 star nature of the property - all very customer service orientated.
Did however have a few problems with the breakfast being included in that web booking confirmation clearly stated included but reception on checking in didn't have it. They undertook to change but on both mornings the restaurant still had us down as non included. No difficulties upon checking out but slightly disappointing that they couldn't get the dots to join up.
Rooms are fresh roomy and spotless. Privilege rooms come with shower and separate bath with music piped in to your control if you want it.
Not for the 1st time we noticed that the Cast of Strictly were domiciled at the hotel. their privacy was being well marshalled by the hotel staff and they were pretty much left to their own devices by the guests.
Been before and will stay again.
Best Hotel in Sheffield

Room Tip: Aim for room overlooking the Millenium Square and aim to book with breakfast included
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Luisa E, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

Dear Guest Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your stay at Mercure St Paul's Hotel and Spa. It is always a pleasure to recieve such feedback and I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future. Best Regards Luisa Esposito

Reviewed February 14, 2013

We were going to an event at the Sheffield Arena and needed somewhere to stay overnight. The situation of the hotel is right in the centre and on our arrival at 14.15 our room was not ready. The receptionist was excellent and managed to swap our room so we were only delayed about 10 minutes. We enjoyed our stay.
The only negative was finding the main entrance and parking our car. Research on the internet did not inform us that we had to drive up to a barrier in a small side street and speak into a microphone to the reception. When we found it, it was then very easy. Parking is valet parking and cost £23.50 which we thought rather over the top.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Luisa E, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Dear Guest Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at Mercure St Paul's Sheffield. I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future. Best Regards Luisa Esposito

Reviewed February 13, 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed February 13, 2013

My partner and I stayed here earlier this week as I had an important meeting early the next day. We went for the dinner, bed and breakfast option in a superior room as it was also my birthday and we wanted to treat ourselves. Upon arrival we found that there was no car park for guests and we had to park in the nearby NCP car park instead at a reduced rate.
Our room seemed to be of a high standard, although there was no bottle opener to open any of the bottles in the fridge and the king size bed was actually two single mattresses pushed together. The nespresso machine also didnt have any coffee to go with it, so I didn't really see the point of it being there. The room also lacked bath robes and I had to ask for one, which I had to take myself from reception, otherwise there would be a longer wait, I was informed. At this point, none of this was really a problem, just tiny niggles.
We made use of the spa, which was very good.
When we went for dinner, it was very clear that they were very understaffed and the restaurant was surprisingly busy for a Monday night. There was a large party who commanded most of the attention. It took a while for our order to be taken. I ordered a cocktail which still hadnt arrived by the end of the starter. The waitress went to enquire as to its whereabouts and promptly returned to inform me that the reason why it hadn't arrived was because they had run out of mint. It would have been nice to have been informed right away! However, I did receive an alternative cocktail free of charge. The food on the whole was very well presented but rather bland. The waitresses, however, were incredibly polite and they were doing the best that they could. The concierge even had to help to serve the food to the larger party, so I'm sure that the slow service was an unfortunate one-off.
Upon returning to the room, I had a shower, only for the water to stop and start intermittently, which was rather bizarre! It also seemed that some of the toiletries provided had previously been used.
By this time it was around 10pm when every couple of minutes we were disturbed by a strange loud noise, which sounded like the clanging of pipes. I was starting to become rather irritated by now as I was concerned that I wouldn't get any sleep before the meeting the following day. The concierge arrived to check it out and consequently moved us to a junior suite directly below us via a less busy staircase, of which we were very grateful as I had wet hair and was in my bath robe! The junior suite was great, however the heating didnt work all night! By this time we were too tired to complain.
One thing I will say is that the staff are excellent and were always very professional, especially the concierge on duty that night. Nothing was too much trouble, they even printed out a couple of documents that I urgently needed the next morning.
My partner and I are usually laid back and all of the tiny niggles that we had wouldn't have bothered us at all, however it just seemed that one thing after another was going wrong. I'm sure it was just an unfortunate experience for us, but having paid £150 for it, it was rather annoying!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Carrieddownmountain

Dear Guest Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I would be pleased if you would contact me directly at the hotel to allow me to discuss the matter with you. Best Regards Luisa Esposito

Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed here over Christmas and finally I have time for a review! Our break here got off to a very poor start - the 'car park' system is so confusing - you cramp up upside and they valet it for you for £25 a night, so not worth it! Check in was slow but eventually we were led to our 'supreme room.' I could not believe they tried to pass it off as this - clearly a former club lounge has been converted into two rooms. It was well-decorated but tiny, had only a shower and instead of actual heating had two rusty and noisy electric ones. I instantly phoned to ask to move and was told 5 minutes on 3 separate occasions before the rudest manager I have ever seen in my life came up and instead of apologising began to argue with us that he had actually said 15 minutes not 5! Whatever happened to "the customer is always right?" (Which by the way I was!) The room we were moved to was 10 times nicer and I don't know why we weren't offered this in the first place. As a final insult the manager, who never apologised, before leaving us nagged us about moving our car out of the mini car park as it was full - when he had been the one to make us wait!!!

Everything did get better from here, the location is brilliant for nipping around the best bits of the city. The hotel is so elegant and attractive. We absolutely loved the magic man who was in the bar in the evening. Breakfast was one of the best ever, great quality ingredients and lots of choice.

The spa was better than your average but did seem a little bit tired, the large pool was freezing! I also wish they had enforced the no children in the spa area policy more tightly too. We had a massage while we were there, my husband loved his, but mine was really amateurish. Both were meant to be half an hour but only lasted 25 minutes - annoying!!

Overall I wouldn't stay here again. I can definitely recommend you don't bother upgrading, this really gave us no benefit other than being a floor higher, we had the handbook talking about Nespresso machines that weren't included. For us the little let downs like is and the awful rudeness of the manager just spoiled the experience.

Room Tip: Don't bother upgrading - you don't get anything extra!!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JillyLeicester
Luisa E, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Dear Guest Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Please can you contact me directly at the hotel to discuss the matter in further detail. Best Regards Luisa Esposito

Reviewed February 8, 2013

My girlfriend and I decided to stay at Mercure St. Paul's as an early Valentines treat. We were not disappointed. We loved every thing about it from the amazingly comfy bed to the complimentary towel robes and slippers! The staff were very friendly and all in all the hotel was just perfect for us. Definitely a night to cherish forever!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Luisa E, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2013

Dear Guest Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay at Mercure St Paul's Hotel and Spa. I do hope we can welcome you back in the near furture. Best Regards Luisa Esposito