“Great location but expensive parking”

Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel
Ranked #6 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Skipton, United Kingdom
“Great location but expensive parking”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

This hotel is in a great central location next to the crucible but has no free onsite parking.You can have valet parking for £23 but it is easy to use the near by NCP parking at a hotel subsidised £6.50 ( but be careful to time your visit ,as if you go over in to the next day even by 10 mins you will be charged for another day)
The hotel is modern and clean and we got the room at an excellent £77 per night on a Friday and Saturday which is excellent for a hotel with a pool and spa
I cannot comment much on the food as we only had the champagne afternoon tea ( which was excellent)
The service was good- we ordered 4 champagne glasses and an ice bucket for our rooms and it arrived within minutes,
My only moan was that the fire alarm went off 3 x in a 30 minute time frame at midnight ( which we could have done with out!)
Overall excellent value and you cannot fault the location and the pool and spa is a definite bonus after a busy day shopping ( a great John Lewis very near by!)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank drdrjack
Luisa E, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Guest Thank you for taking the time to write to me following your recent stay at Mercure St Paul's Sheffield. I will ensure the team are made aware of your feedback. Best Regards Luisa Esposito

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Polish first
Mossley
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We booked a spa weekend with my best friend. I have to say it was one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. I have extensively travelled too. From the front reception staff to the restaurant staff and the spa staff. all were friendly polite and extremely welcoming. We had booked the deal with the spa that included the 3 course a la carte dinner and breakfast. We had to wait to check in as the room wasnt ready at 2 pm - they offered a complimentary drink whilst we waited 30 minutes in a beautiful reception area. This wasnt a problem as check out is 12 noon so hard to expect all the rooms to be turned round in 2 hours. The quality of the food and the complimentary sparkling wine was superb. There was a bit of a mix up with the spa booking but they resolved it and were very apologetic. I will be returning. Thank you all for a fantastic stay! Well Done All - Superb

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Priviledge room for an extra 20.00 - inclusive soft drinks and toiletries
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Luisa E, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to reveiw your recent spa break at Mercure St Paul's. I was delighted to read your feedback and will ensure the team are aware of it. Best Regards Luisa Esposito
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Having booked the hotel and read various reviews afterwards I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the room. The room was spacious, clean and the decour didnt look dated. On arrival the receptionist was friendly and efficient. Car parking was at the nearby NCP at a cost of £6.50 overnight, via a token from the hotel (better than the £18 for a 24hour period for the car park).
Can't comment on either the bar or restaurant as I didn't use them. All in all I would recommend the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review following your stay at Mercure St Paul's Sheffield. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback and I do hope we can welcome you back. Best Regrads Luisa Esposito
Reviewed October 18, 2012

The staff at the hotel were extremely helpful and made our hen weekend complete, every member of staff went out of their way to ensure our party of 22 were happy. We were able to check into rooms early and decorate areas to surprise the bride to be - we all received a few free cheeky drinks too!
Fantastic value for money and an excellent choice for a girlie weekend. We had access to the spa, a 30 minute treatment, bed & breakfast & an evening meal for £87! Such a bargain - especially as this is a quality hotel. The breakfast was delicious too - so much choice!
The bride and I were also upgraded to a premier room, with fantastic views just because it was her hen weekend. She also received a full body massage, which lasted over an hour!
The only down side was the cost of the car parking, as the closest car park was the Q car park and even with the 10% discount from the hotel it was £14 for 24 hours, so it's probably best to leave your car at home and get the train, as the station is only a 5 minute walk away.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed October 2012
Luisa E, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Thank you very much for taking teh tiem to write a review follwoing your recent stay at Mercure St Paul's Sheffield. I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future. Best Regards Luisa Esposito
Birmingham
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Having visited the Mercure for lunch earlier this year, we saw an excellent rate and booked for a Friday night stay. I like the 'feel' of the Reception and Bar/Restaurant on the Ground Floor, but as always, the decor is a matter of individual taste. We were given a room on the 3rd floor overlooking the fountain, which was very nice, if a little worn, but the bed was ridiculously squeaky. I called Reception and asked to be moved, and was taken to another room on the same floor, with the same squeaky bed problem! We lived with it. We booked breakfast the day before, which meant that the cost was £10, which was excellent value. We also used the valet parking at a cost of £23. My husband used the gym and swimming pool and was very impressed. Having checked out, my husband realised that he had left his ipod and headphones by the tv, so called the hotel to ask for them to be put to one side, so that our son - who lives in Sheffield - could pick them up. Sadly they couldn't be found. That certainly increased the cost of our stay at the Mercure!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Luisa E, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Dear Guest - thank you for your review. Please can you contact me at the hotel to discuss your comments. Best Regards Luisa Esposito
UK
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Disappointed overall. I think if you get a good rate (we didn't) then I would have felt a bit better but still not great. (The fact I (or my company) ended up paying the 110 B&B rate influenced me a bit, but not completely so). Location is great - no faults there at all. Central sheffield and 5 mins max walk to pretty much anywhere in the city centre. The hotel entrance is not inviting and gives you the impression of walking into a multi story carpark or something - I guess part of the minimalist European design but didnt work for me. These them continued inside. Downstairs the bar/reception/eating areas where all v open plan, noisy and didnt' really work - reminded me of an airport departure lounge. Rooms were OK, walls a bit thin though (some "noises" from next door). Also at 0030 AM, 01:45AM and 03:00 AM I was woken by loud people coming back from somwhere shouting down corridors. Also the room door mechanism kept clicking every 5 mins (irritating) and the couldnt get any cold water out of the cold tap. Staff weren't remarkable and seemed distracted/disengaged. Overall average and disappointing for me - over trading on it's great location perhaps ?

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Richard_Smelt
Luisa E, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Guest Thank you for taking teh tiem to write a review. I am sorry that the hotel design is not to your liking and the fact that guests came back late disturbing your sleep. I will ensure the the appropraite action is taken. Best Regards Luisa Esposito
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 15, 2012

As others have said, right in the middle of beautiful sheffield (bars/restaurants/shops etc) and next door to the Crucible. The hotel is in great condition and the staff were very friendly and helpful. If I were being picky I would say that there was no free hotel parking (though this seems to be more and more the norm for city centre hotels) but there is a car park close by and also there is no jacuzzi in the leisure centre (like I say very picky!). I have stayed in quite a few city centre/modern hotels and this is right up there. Would not hesitate to recommend.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paul C
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review following your recent stay with us. I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future. Best Regards Luisa Esposito