“A perfect hen weekend.”

Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel
Ranked #5 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed October 18, 2012

The staff at the hotel were extremely helpful and made our hen weekend complete, every member of staff went out of their way to ensure our party of 22 were happy. We were able to check into rooms early and decorate areas to surprise the bride to be - we all received a few free cheeky drinks too!
Fantastic value for money and an excellent choice for a girlie weekend. We had access to the spa, a 30 minute treatment, bed & breakfast & an evening meal for £87! Such a bargain - especially as this is a quality hotel. The breakfast was delicious too - so much choice!
The bride and I were also upgraded to a premier room, with fantastic views just because it was her hen weekend. She also received a full body massage, which lasted over an hour!
The only down side was the cost of the car parking, as the closest car park was the Q car park and even with the 10% discount from the hotel it was £14 for 24 hours, so it's probably best to leave your car at home and get the train, as the station is only a 5 minute walk away.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: October 2012
Luisa E, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2012

Thank you very much for taking teh tiem to write a review follwoing your recent stay at Mercure St Paul's Sheffield. I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future. Best Regards Luisa Esposito

There are newer reviews for Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Having visited the Mercure for lunch earlier this year, we saw an excellent rate and booked for a Friday night stay. I like the 'feel' of the Reception and Bar/Restaurant on the Ground Floor, but as always, the decor is a matter of individual taste. We were given a room on the 3rd floor overlooking the fountain, which was very nice, if a little worn, but the bed was ridiculously squeaky. I called Reception and asked to be moved, and was taken to another room on the same floor, with the same squeaky bed problem! We lived with it. We booked breakfast the day before, which meant that the cost was £10, which was excellent value. We also used the valet parking at a cost of £23. My husband used the gym and swimming pool and was very impressed. Having checked out, my husband realised that he had left his ipod and headphones by the tv, so called the hotel to ask for them to be put to one side, so that our son - who lives in Sheffield - could pick them up. Sadly they couldn't be found. That certainly increased the cost of our stay at the Mercure!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Luisa E, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2012

Dear Guest - thank you for your review. Please can you contact me at the hotel to discuss your comments. Best Regards Luisa Esposito

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Disappointed overall. I think if you get a good rate (we didn't) then I would have felt a bit better but still not great. (The fact I (or my company) ended up paying the 110 B&B rate influenced me a bit, but not completely so). Location is great - no faults there at all. Central sheffield and 5 mins max walk to pretty much anywhere in the city centre. The hotel entrance is not inviting and gives you the impression of walking into a multi story carpark or something - I guess part of the minimalist European design but didnt work for me. These them continued inside. Downstairs the bar/reception/eating areas where all v open plan, noisy and didnt' really work - reminded me of an airport departure lounge. Rooms were OK, walls a bit thin though (some "noises" from next door). Also at 0030 AM, 01:45AM and 03:00 AM I was woken by loud people coming back from somwhere shouting down corridors. Also the room door mechanism kept clicking every 5 mins (irritating) and the couldnt get any cold water out of the cold tap. Staff weren't remarkable and seemed distracted/disengaged. Overall average and disappointing for me - over trading on it's great location perhaps ?

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Richard_Smelt
Luisa E, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Dear Guest Thank you for taking teh tiem to write a review. I am sorry that the hotel design is not to your liking and the fact that guests came back late disturbing your sleep. I will ensure the the appropraite action is taken. Best Regards Luisa Esposito

Reviewed October 15, 2012

As others have said, right in the middle of beautiful sheffield (bars/restaurants/shops etc) and next door to the Crucible. The hotel is in great condition and the staff were very friendly and helpful. If I were being picky I would say that there was no free hotel parking (though this seems to be more and more the norm for city centre hotels) but there is a car park close by and also there is no jacuzzi in the leisure centre (like I say very picky!). I have stayed in quite a few city centre/modern hotels and this is right up there. Would not hesitate to recommend.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paul C

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review following your recent stay with us. I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future. Best Regards Luisa Esposito

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stayed here for our friends 40th Birthday treat. Location of the hotel - bang in the centre of Sheffield. There is only a handful of unloading bays available at the front on the hotel, maximum stay 20 mins.

I would like to share with you my experience of the 'valet parking'. I decided to pay the extra for a fee of £23.00. I was informed this was the hotel's underground carparking facility. Or, I could park at one of the NCP's (two streets away) for just £6.50, 24hr stay. I opted for the valet parking, thinking car closer, lots of girls, lots of luggage in the boot. Upon handing over my car keys I happened to mention I would go with the concierge driver to see where my vehicle was being parked (just in case one of us needed something!!!). The reception guy handed over my keys to the concierge driver and whispered I would be going with him. I felt a little uncomfortable and at this point and asked if this was an unusal request. He then explained there was a problem with the underground parking facility and would park my vehicle in the closest NCP. OK not a problem, but would this still be at a fee of £23.00? Yes, he replied. I was a little amazed because only 2 mins earlier reception explained the NCP was at a cost of £6.50 for 24hrs (special hotel rate). I then asked if the NCP had special (safer) allocated spaces just for the hotel, with paying the £23.00. He replied, no. So, therefore, for me to drive my own vehicle, to the same NCP two streets away, would cost me £6.50 - but for the cercierge to drive was £23.00. HHmmmmm, was this the complete truth or a way of making extra money! Took my keys back off the concierge and I drove.

Had lunch at the hotel and ordered 3 'afternoon lunches' for 6 girls sharing, ordered a couple of bowls of chips and it was lovely although the service a little slow.

We all headed off to the spa facility and couldn't fault it. So relaxing, we all had treatments and thoroughly had a relaxing, enjoyable afternoon.

Our bedrooms were of good size and very clean. We had inter-connecting rooms which were just great. The only downside to the room was the bed - I had a terrible nights sleep. It was so uncomfortable. The duvet was so thin and blankets weren't available in the room apart from a throw which was placed along the foot of the bed. I tried to cover myself with it, but it was the size of a table runner! The pillows were very poor - the feather kind which when you rest your head into them they bunch up around your ears and the side of your face - no support whatsoever.

Couldn't fault our evening meal in the restaurant. Neither could we fault breakfast. Lots of choice and a very nice setting over looking the winter gardens.

Apart from the little negatives wouldn't put me off staying here again.

Room Tip: 329 & 331 have inter-connecting rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us. I have noted your comments regarding the valet service -please contact me directly next time you stay. Best Regards Luisa Esposito

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Bang in Sheffield city centre, opposite the Peace Gardens and the Town Hall, 1 minute's walk to the Crucible and the Lyceum theatres and adjoining the Winter Gardens and the Millenium Galleries, you couldn't find a better located hotel for the heart of Shefield.

Food from the restaurant is excellent based on our experience - they did a 'taster' plate of dishes for our group and all of them were really good.

Rooms were fine, what you would expect from a hotel of this star rating, although rooms that overlook the Peace Gardens could perhaps experience some 'city centre' noise later at night, particularly on Friday/Saturday?

Only detrimental comment: this hotel is part of an international chain and some of the managerial staff (who seem to be mainly Spanish) appear to be here as part of their training, so a few 'communication problems' on a few occasions. However, these were all very courtiously resolved by the manager.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future. Best Regards Luisa Esposito

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Our stay at this great hotel was marred by the fact we were unable to unload our very heavy bags (we were travelling from Australia) from the car park we were advised to use which was a couple of streets away. This made the start of our stay not enjoyable, we were also unable to bring the car any closer on departure, so would be reluctant to stay here again. However, the hotel itself was very good, room comfortable and the meals we had in the Restaurant very good indeed.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Luisa E, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay. Best Regards Luisa Esposito