“Cooking with imagination”

Ranked #32 of 1,540 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Peppercorn is a great, local restaurant which offers superb food and fine wines at very affordable prices. Chef Charlie Curran uses fresh, seasonal and wherever possible local sourced ingredients to create fantastic menus which incorporate new ideas with old classics. Service is friendly, informal and always with a smile!
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Having never managed to visit the previous restaurant in this little 'offshot' building, we had no prejudices to manage, unlike many other reviewers. It looks a little like a portacabin from the outside, but is quite cosy within. We were greeted warmly and provided with a couple of standard G'n'Ts (no fancy gins or tonics here!) whilst looking over the menu. The choices are few, but the range should satisfy most people - a mix of slightly experimental dishes and old favourites. The service throughout the meal was very good - always someone to hand but never intrusive - and the food came at the right tempo. The wine-list is limited and a bit underwhelming - more wines by the glass would be nice. However, we managed to drink a couple of bottles on our celebratory visit!

The food itself is good, and presented with a small degree of theatre - smoke in bell jars with eel, for example. Taste-wise, things were quite vivid but perhaps punches are pulled for the regular customers, who may prefer things a bit on the low-key side. A main of lamb was perfectly cooked - nicely pink - in a very tasty sauce but was not an adventourous choice. The cheese board at the end was once again good, but not outstanding.

So - a very pleasant evening but not an exciting one, in food terms and not a cheap one, either. We would happily visit again, for the friendly, unrushed service and skillful cooking but a more interesting menu and wine-list might have us back sooner.

1  Thank Pete M

Reviewed May 8, 2014

My second visit to Peppercorn. Very attentive staff, good food, relaxed atmosphere... in short, the perfect place to chill-out and indulge the senses. What a contrast to my catastrophic visit to Marco Pierre White's new "Marco's New York Italian", also in Sheffield, the evening before : chalk and cheese... Marco's is inferior, and by miles, in every respect. Peppercorn still ticks all the boxes for me and, although I'm still searching, I have yet to find a Sheffield restaurant that is better. In fact, I made another booking at Peppercorn for later this week, making the most of my week in Sheffield. A special thank you to Christie, and her wonderful service, for making my day.

8  Thank alsithy
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Like many above, this was our first visit since changing from the excellent Morans. Unlike many of the above, it will be our last.
The atmosphere was good but the front of house gave the impression of being scared, out of their depth rookies. The head waitress spat her 'machine gun' patter with a hint of stress that didn't help you relax.
The starters were pretty but uneventful, devoid of taste and a bit on the small side.
The mains were the same.
When they arrived you could see everyone was disappointed with the portion size. The Lamb particularly was a joke.
All the veg were undercooked and all the meats were lacking flavor. When one is spending around £50 per head you would expect to come away saying 'my pork was delicious or 'that sauce was outstanding' or to have at least one highlight of the experience. We didn't and so the bill did feel a bit of a rip off.
I feel they are trying hard to be like Morans were with the menu, presentation and price but falling short with the food.
However, the place was busy with a very nice atmosphere so maybe we were just unlucky. I won't be risking it again at that price though.

Reviewed May 4, 2014

We always decide on a restaurant after 2 or 3 visits to give a more balanced view so it was pleasing that this second visit was better than the first when I described it as a "nice" restaurant. This time around, wether it was down to the choice of dishes or just luck, the food was excellent with just one or two very minor things that could have been better. All in all a very good local restaurant that I would recomend to anyone.
I do think that it is time people stop comparing it to Morans and give Charlie and Kelly the credit due without the comparrison.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

I actually think this is better than when it was Morans! and being local didn't think they could be beaten. Amazing food, good service, not a cheap night but you know what it is also great value for money because it was faultless. Well done you guys at Peppercorn, we will be back.

1  Thank Abbotsdiamond