“A great place to eat and relax”
Review of Whitley Hall Hotel

Whitley Hall Hotel
Ranked #2 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Doncaster
“A great place to eat and relax”
Reviewed April 6, 2010

Was treated to a night at Whitley Hall at the start of the Easter Bank Holiday as a surprise, and what a nice surprise it was.

We arrived via public transport and this is done by catching a train to Chapeltown on the Sheffield - Barnsley train route and then a taxi to the hall. The taxi will cost around £5 if you plan to do the same.

Booked in at the very cosy reception without any issues and then headed to our room to settle in. We were in the new wing with a room overlooking the lake and very nice it was too. Bed was nice and comfy, as were the two armchairs, and the room was tastefully decorated - a very nice place to relax. You could choose to do so with a nice glass of complimentary port, but we opted for the pink cava which was provided as part of our package instead.

The bathroom is also well set out, but I was a bit disappointed with the shower. It had a lovely broad head, but didn't exactly come out with any force, meaning it didn't quite cover you all.

We headed down for some late lunch and had our first experience of the food that Whitley Hall excels at. We went into the bar area and settled by one of the many fires that were burning throughout and opted for a chicken club sandwich (my wife) and a black pudding, egg & mango chutney sandwich (myself). We didn't share as my wife doesn't like black pudding, but I can say it certainly wasn't my loss. It is without doubt the best black pudding I've ever tasted and the unusual combination really works. I had this with a bottle of Peroni as I did think the beer choice was a bit lacking. Unless I'm missing anything, the draft choice was Becks Vier, Stella, Boddingtons (I think?) & Bass and it could have done with having a local brewery on tap as well. The choice available is somewhat generic and doesn't separate it from lesser places, which doesn't sit well with the standard set in all other areas. Bar prices were obviously not cheap, but pretty reasonable considering there is nothing else in the vicinity - I think the Peroni was round £3.80 which you will easily get charged in many a city centre bar.

Also had dinner booked in the evening which was served in the restaurant area. It was very busy when we went, so definitely book ahead. As mentioned above, I have to say the food was outstanding. My wife opted for ham hock terrine to start followed by breast of lamb with lamb meatballs and both dishes tasted fabulous. I opted for Quenby Hall stilton with beef fillet salad to start which was really good (the stilton was more yellow in colour to the norm, but worked really well with the carpaccio beef); followed by leg and saddle of rabbit stuffed with black pudding (again!). This tasted amazing too - I really was impressed with the standard of cooking.

We did follow up with desert and we shared the best puddings we've had in an age. Fed up with the usual brownie/sticky toffee pudding/ice cream combo beloved of most restaurants? Then try either the peanut butter parfait with banana ice cream, or the lemon panacotta with black pepper ice cream, which is what we opted for. Absolutely sensational. Had a quick drink afterwards by the roaring coal fire which was nice way to end the evening.

Before leaving in the morning we had a quick walk in the grounds. Unfortunately the weather had meant we couldn't enjoy taking more of the surrounding area in the previous day. Did bump into the Hall's peacocks though who are evidently very well looked after!

Overall I can really recommend staying at Whitley Hall and will definitely head back again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Doncaster, England
Reviewed April 3, 2010

I booked the romantic break as a surprise for my husband. For £110 we had a deluxe room, a bottle of pink bubbly and port in the room, a 3 course dinner and breakfast the next morning. I suspected the hotel to be much busier being Good Friday, however it was pleasantly subdued, despite the obvious presence of guests for a wedding taking place the next day and a group celebrating a birthday at dinner.

As we do not drive, we arrived by train into Chapeltown (around 2.5 miles from the hotel) and took a local taxi to Whitley Hall. First impressions of the exterior were great-I knew my husband was impressed as he shot me a look of joy with a gorgeous smile on his face in the taxi as we drove up the drive and the cute little hall came into view. Upon entering the lobby we were met with a lovely dark and old looking interior, sweeping old wooden staircase and cosy fireplace settings. We were a touch early for our 2pm check in however this was not a problem and we were allocated room 41 in the new wing of the hotel.

Upon entering our hotel room we were very pleasantly surprised with the very modern decor. The headboard behind the bed was a mixture of chocolate, cream, tan and black stripes and trhis theme continued throughout-right down to the mini cushions on the chairs and even the tissue box! The window consisted of two French doors with a decorative railing (I think the hotel call these Juliet balconies, however it is not a balcony really, just full length windows with a barrier to stop a fall). It was a shame we could'nt open up the doors due to the bad weather as we had a lovely view of the lake and gushing waterfalls either side. The bathroom is modern again with an old style decor. Shower was lovely but not ideal if like me you don't like to get your hair wet in the shower as it has a fixed head. It is also rather hot and difficult to get the temperature right.

There was some building works taking place over the lake-it seems a verrandah of sorts was being finished over the lake. This didn't bother us much as the only noise we experienced was the cement mixer going for about 10 minutes mid afternoon. And even then it only bothered us as we were having a little afternoon knap.

At around 6.30pm the resident peacocks came out to flaunt their beauty, amongst a few ducks and coots. They really are very beautiful-even upon observation on the ground beneath us and they seemed unfazed by our presence, even loitering about the hotel entrance and allowing us to get so close we had to swing round to avoid running them over with our bags!

We had an early dinner and booked for 7.30pm. However we needn't have rushed, as it seemed the entire hotel were dining at the same time! We could'nt get a seat in the bar area at all and it was a good 15 minutes before we were asked to take a seat in the lobby and had menus brought to us. We didn't sit at our table until after 8pm, however our first course came to us within minutes. The food overall is a little leftfield-some of the food combinations I would'nt personally choose, even though I enjoy something unusual but it was all delicious anyway bar the starter (ham hock) which could've done without the pickled radishes and gherkins. The desserts are to die for! I chose to have the frozen peanut butter sabayon with banana ice cream (glorious!) and my husband had the lemon pannacotta with black pepper ice cream (stunning!). We chose a sparkling pink fizz to have with meal (seems we'd already polished off the pink fizz in the room and meant to go on!) which was lovely but overpriced at £20.

The bed was super comfy and although I didn't sleep too well due to my bad back and my liking for my ortho pillows my husband slept well.

Breakfast the next morning was served early (latest is 9.30am) but all was well. Cooked items available but not extensive (bacon, fried eggs, sausage, black pudding, mushrooms, tomato, hash browns only) plus a tiny continental selection (Nutella, cereals, dried ruit, soaked fruit and yogurt-no muffins, bread or pastries) and toast was brought to our table along with tea.

The rain stopped briefly mid morning which allowed us to take a quick walk through the gardens (see photos attached). Lovely little garden leading straight from the hotel, and they are apparently rather extensive and go back quite a bit so we'd love to go and explore further another time when the weather is much better.

I would say this hotel is good for small or intimate weddings due to the lovely gardens and cosy atmosphere, however those looking to marry here and have a large reception may be disappointed with the lack of space, not to mention the posibilty of disgruntling other hotel guests with overcrowding.

We will certainly go back to Whitley Hall. We cannot wait!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
south west
Reviewed March 25, 2010

We booked an "Escape the Winter Blues" package (3 nights B&B and 2 nights dinner). Very good value for money, although we did upgrade our room for an extra £20per night. We stayed in Room 42 (new wing) and it was decorated to a good standard and the bed very comfortable. We thought the antique furniture was a nice touch, along with the port :-). The hot breakfast for Sat/Sun was a buffet (but no baked beans!), but on the Monday we had a menu which gave us a choice of cooked breakfasts. The 3 course evening meals were just as good. We couldn't fault the hotel and setting, but for us its location was a little too remote. National Trust properties over an hour away. A lot of the 'things to do' was on the opposite side of the Peaks, so we did clock up some miles! We visited Lyme Park & Nostel Priory (Nat Trusts) and also Holmfirth, the village where they film Last of the Summer Wine. Have to say Holmfirth is not worth the visit unless you are Mad Keen on the programme - takes all of 5 mins to view Nora Batty's Home and Sids Cafe, although you have the option of a bus tour of 45mins @ £6ea if you wish to see the rest. Had hoped that the shops there would be quaint & interesting, but they weren't. We also visited Derwent Resevoir - if you give yourself plenty of time you can hire bikes and cycle round. Takes approx 2hrs, easy pace. We didn't have time to do it, but did walk a part of it. All in all the Hotel is lovely, but the location, for us, not so good.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2010

Stayed at Whitely Hall on a Sunday evening on their "sunday supplement" deal, book 2 meals in the restaurant and stay for £10 pp B&B. This is the 4th time that we have been to Whitely and every single time we love it. The staff are excellent, nothing is too much trouble. There is a brilliant attention to detail in the rooms and the restaurant.
Every room that we have stayed in has been individually designed both in the old and new sections of the hotel and has everything that you could need.
The food is devine, by far the best that we have had, any we have eaten in a fair few restauants, and it is made better by the excellent value and service. The drinks are expensive, but when compared to hotel bars, not so, and the overall price for the standard of the meals/stay is well worth it. It is cute and cosy, but with modern day amenities that you would expect - I would live here if I could!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed March 5, 2010

I came across this hotel when browsing trip advisor looking for an overnight stop and booked on the strength of the reviews. I was not disappointed at all. The prices were exactly as quoted on the site and the restaurant was just fabulous. Even breakfast was great - not just your typical English cooked breakfast although that was available too. Travelling alone I'm often more comfortable having room service in the evening but this hotel was so relaxed I really enjoyed my dinner in the restaurant. Lovely room too - I'd love a chance to go back.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
cambrige
Reviewed February 27, 2010

We stayed here with our 10 week old baby and the staff could not have been more accommodating or friendly. Our room was wonderful with a huge bath and the only walk in shower that I've ever been in that didn't leak all over the floor. The food was very reasonably priced and portion sizes are huge.

There is a lovely bar and also lounge area with wood burning stoves and newspapers - a perfect place to curl up with the papers on a cold snowy day. The main part of the hotel is very old and has been very tastefully decorated. Our room had all the usual luxuries and the complementary decanter of port was an unexpected but very welcome find. All in all we can't wait to go back

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Middlesbrough, UK
Reviewed February 25, 2010

Happened across this hotel on the internet - what a find. We booked a romantic one night break on a Friday night. This included 3 course dinner, bed & breakfast with a bottle of pink bubbly in the room and a half carafe of port - all for £110 for the 2 of us. We upgraded for an extra £20 to the four poster suite with huge jacuzzi/air bath. The room was spectacular! The food in the restaurant was excellent. Great friendly staff too. Will be nice in the summer to walk round the grounds and the small lake. Will definitely return.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sheffield
Halifax Hall
#20 of 53 in Sheffield
Best Western Plus Aston Hall Hotel
Copthorne Hotel Sheffield
Tankersley Manor Hotel - QHotels

Been to Whitley Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!