“Fine Dining in Fabulous Hotel”
Review of Whitley Hall Hotel

Whitley Hall Hotel
Ranked #2 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Fine Dining in Fabulous Hotel”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Have now made this one of our "favourites " whenever we have a special occasion to celebrate we head here because we know it won't disappoint. We love everything from the drive down to the entrance to the "snooky " seating area's it's just lovely. The staff are really friendly and service is done how it should be done...nothings too much trouble and they make you feel welcome. Food is yumptious and reasonable value although the drinks are expensive!!!! We have stayed once overnight and it was great and as for the breakfast well I couldn't eat anything later allday made a bit of a guzzlers guts of myself.....mmmmmm.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2013

This is a hidden gem of a hotel. Beautiful old world style with beams. The bedrooms are comfortable and well equipped. The bar area is very nice indeed, I was able to take a great bar meal and watch the England Game in a cosy corner. Breakfast selection is incredible and I cant wait to go back

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I am adding this review very late due to illness so I can only speak how it was when I had my wedding, but I am sure it will still be the same great place!
Anyone looking for a wonderful picturesque, intimate & elegant wedding venue, which serves beautiful food then this place is the one for you!
We married in May 2012 and got the best day we could of ever of wished for, the sun was shining the whole day, only problem I had was that it was too hot! We were lucky enough to have the run of all the grounds as we were the only wedding that glorious Saturday!

Food was great apart from myself and a few of my guests, had an unset dessert, but I didn't really care as I was having a wonderful day & at the end of the day mistakes happen! We never got our champagne in the honeymoon suite and that is about all I can say negative about this lovely place! One other thing that I really do believe Whitley need to do is take a serious look at the drink prices at the bar. Once again I did not have a problem as it was my wedding day & majority of guests accept that this is a wedding & wedding venues normally charge ridiculous prices, but not all guests can afford such extortionate prices & I am sure that it would make some people uncomfortable not having money to pay those prices!

I could babble on forever with all the great things I have to say, but I am going to sum it up by saying that Marie the wedding planner is amazing, down to earth,listens to your needs & tries to help wherever she can, THANK YOU MARIE, you are a star! Every other member of staff was brilliant and we want to say thank you to you all, you did a wonderful job, you followed all my instructions & made the Whitley Suite look beautiful. I would recommend this hidden little gem to anyone and I look forward to our return Anniversary stay. Thank again to all members of staff at Whitley Hall.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Leeds
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Although I grew up not more than 5 miles from this hotel and had more recently heard of it via a friend, I'd never had the pleasure of visiting until last weekend.

We were looking for somewhere conveniently located, serving good food, as a base for visiting relatives to stay overnight and I'm pleased to say that Whitley Hall Hotel did not disappoint on any level.

Firstly, the location and setting. The hotel is about a 5-10 minute drive from the M1 on the northern outskirts of Sheffield, set in beautiful landscaped gardens with a large pond and stream and the added novelty of a very friendly resident family of peacocks wandering around the grounds.

The welcome was very warm (quite literally) with friendly staff showing us to sofas by the roaring open fire and taking our drinks orders. There is a very cosy feel to the lounge area and I relaxed immediately. I didn't see much of the bar area as there was a wedding in the hotel that day but I took a quick peak the following morning and wasn't disappointed.

Our rooms were located in the modern annexe but were beautifully appointed, looking out on to the pond / gardens, not forgetting the sociable peacock who came tapping his beak on the window at breakfast-time! It was spacious and comfortable with a king size bed, armchair, desk, wetroom and all mod cons including tea and coffee making facilities, hairdryer, iron and ironing board. I must admit, I didn't check if there was a mini-bar but I didn't need to given that we arrived to find a complimentary decanter of port in our room. I couldn't find a thing wrong with the decor or finishings in the room, and trust me, I am quite observant... or picky as my partner says! In fact, my only complaint was that I couldn't spend a few more hours enjoying it.

We ate dinner in the hotel restaurant and it was delicious. Well cooked, beautifully presented and the portion sizes were perfect - three courses filled us up without feeling stuffed. I started with potted duck with honey brioche, followed by fillets of sea bream and rhubarb crème brûlée to finish. Some of our party went for the roast dinner with ice cream dessert - all devoured with accompanying 'mmm's'. The restaurant staff were very attentive too and the service was suberb.

Breakfast the next day was equally impressive - a wide selection of fruit, cereals and juice available at the buffet table followed by a choice of hot dishes served at your table which included a Full English Breakfast or Eggs Benedict (yum!)

The hotel staff play a major part in creating such a relaxing atmosphere - they are so friendly and amenable. Maybe it's good old-fashioned Yorkshire charm but of course, I'm not biased... much.

Being a local to the South Yorkshire area, I think it's fair to say that it's not usually known as destination renowned for luxury hotels and gourmet dining. We booked a special deal at Whitley of £125 B&B per room (which included a £30pp credit towards the cost of dinner) and believe our experience was excellent value for money which offered us a relaxing, luxury break worthy of a far higher price tag.

Thanks and well done to the hotel team. We will be back!

We

Room Tip: I can't comment on the rooms in the original building but our annexe room was very comfortable a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2013

This is possibly the best hotel I have stayed in, the rooms are stunning, the grounds are lovely and the room prices are very reasonable. I have stayed on business and can't recommend enough. The restaurant is slightly out of the average business food budget but the bar menu is good and the staff are fantastic
The grounds of this Hotel are stunning and there are many weddings held at this location and also the hotel has its own peacocks walking he grounds

Room Tip: The new extension has the best rooms but the main Hotel rooms are very rustic and cosy
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Im new to this writing a review thing, however I believed that this hotel was a good place to start.
Its an amazing hotel and we only live 10minutes away but i didnt even know it was there. My husband took me for our wedding anniversary and i was glad he did.
Firstly the building looks amazing and everything tides in well with eachother with an oldy worldy charm running right though the hotel.
The only downsize to this is that we had to wait a little longer then we wanted to really to eat, as it was a menu change. However the girls in the resturant did appologise and rebecca and sara did a great job at making sure we had everything we needed when we sat at the table and the food was AMAZING. I would also like to say a special thankyou to Danny D off the bar as we was constantly asking him questions about the building and he was more then happy to answer them, i love my history and the fact he knew what i wanted to know shows me that he takes the care to learn stuff aswell as making a good majito :) which I took advantage off, nothing seemed to much of an ask for the staff at the hotel and they all made us feel at home and confortable which can be rare when entering a posh establishment.
Thankyou all for helping us celebrate our wedding anniversary
and im hoping my husband will bring me back next year if not before

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
South Yorkshire
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I was a wedding guest in March 2013 but did not stay overnight so cannot comment upon the rooms.

What I can comment upon is the fantastic, friendly and interested service from each and every member of staff who, after one drink remember your order.

Whitley Hall is far far away from the corporate impersonal hotels one often attends for weddings and I know they made the happy couple feel special throughout the preparations and the day itself.

It is total quality and a lovely experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sheffield
Halifax Hall
Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel
Tankersley Manor Hotel - QHotels
Best Western Plus Aston Hall Hotel
Best Western Plus Kenwood Hall Hotel

Been to Whitley Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!