“A hidden gem on the doorstep”
Review of Whitley Hall Hotel

Whitley Hall Hotel
Ranked #2 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Although I grew up not more than 5 miles from this hotel and had more recently heard of it via a friend, I'd never had the pleasure of visiting until last weekend.

We were looking for somewhere conveniently located, serving good food, as a base for visiting relatives to stay overnight and I'm pleased to say that Whitley Hall Hotel did not disappoint on any level.

Firstly, the location and setting. The hotel is about a 5-10 minute drive from the M1 on the northern outskirts of Sheffield, set in beautiful landscaped gardens with a large pond and stream and the added novelty of a very friendly resident family of peacocks wandering around the grounds.

The welcome was very warm (quite literally) with friendly staff showing us to sofas by the roaring open fire and taking our drinks orders. There is a very cosy feel to the lounge area and I relaxed immediately. I didn't see much of the bar area as there was a wedding in the hotel that day but I took a quick peak the following morning and wasn't disappointed.

Our rooms were located in the modern annexe but were beautifully appointed, looking out on to the pond / gardens, not forgetting the sociable peacock who came tapping his beak on the window at breakfast-time! It was spacious and comfortable with a king size bed, armchair, desk, wetroom and all mod cons including tea and coffee making facilities, hairdryer, iron and ironing board. I must admit, I didn't check if there was a mini-bar but I didn't need to given that we arrived to find a complimentary decanter of port in our room. I couldn't find a thing wrong with the decor or finishings in the room, and trust me, I am quite observant... or picky as my partner says! In fact, my only complaint was that I couldn't spend a few more hours enjoying it.

We ate dinner in the hotel restaurant and it was delicious. Well cooked, beautifully presented and the portion sizes were perfect - three courses filled us up without feeling stuffed. I started with potted duck with honey brioche, followed by fillets of sea bream and rhubarb crème brûlée to finish. Some of our party went for the roast dinner with ice cream dessert - all devoured with accompanying 'mmm's'. The restaurant staff were very attentive too and the service was suberb.

Breakfast the next day was equally impressive - a wide selection of fruit, cereals and juice available at the buffet table followed by a choice of hot dishes served at your table which included a Full English Breakfast or Eggs Benedict (yum!)

The hotel staff play a major part in creating such a relaxing atmosphere - they are so friendly and amenable. Maybe it's good old-fashioned Yorkshire charm but of course, I'm not biased... much.

Being a local to the South Yorkshire area, I think it's fair to say that it's not usually known as destination renowned for luxury hotels and gourmet dining. We booked a special deal at Whitley of £125 B&B per room (which included a £30pp credit towards the cost of dinner) and believe our experience was excellent value for money which offered us a relaxing, luxury break worthy of a far higher price tag.

Thanks and well done to the hotel team. We will be back!

We

Room Tip: I can't comment on the rooms in the original building but our annexe room was very comfortable a...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,081)

Reviewed March 22, 2013

This is possibly the best hotel I have stayed in, the rooms are stunning, the grounds are lovely and the room prices are very reasonable. I have stayed on business and can't recommend enough. The restaurant is slightly out of the average business food budget but the bar menu is good and the staff are fantastic
The grounds of this Hotel are stunning and there are many weddings held at this location and also the hotel has its own peacocks walking he grounds

Room Tip: The new extension has the best rooms but the main Hotel rooms are very rustic and cosy
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Im new to this writing a review thing, however I believed that this hotel was a good place to start.
Its an amazing hotel and we only live 10minutes away but i didnt even know it was there. My husband took me for our wedding anniversary and i was glad he did.
Firstly the building looks amazing and everything tides in well with eachother with an oldy worldy charm running right though the hotel.
The only downsize to this is that we had to wait a little longer then we wanted to really to eat, as it was a menu change. However the girls in the resturant did appologise and rebecca and sara did a great job at making sure we had everything we needed when we sat at the table and the food was AMAZING. I would also like to say a special thankyou to Danny D off the bar as we was constantly asking him questions about the building and he was more then happy to answer them, i love my history and the fact he knew what i wanted to know shows me that he takes the care to learn stuff aswell as making a good majito :) which I took advantage off, nothing seemed to much of an ask for the staff at the hotel and they all made us feel at home and confortable which can be rare when entering a posh establishment.
Thankyou all for helping us celebrate our wedding anniversary
and im hoping my husband will bring me back next year if not before

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I was a wedding guest in March 2013 but did not stay overnight so cannot comment upon the rooms.

What I can comment upon is the fantastic, friendly and interested service from each and every member of staff who, after one drink remember your order.

Whitley Hall is far far away from the corporate impersonal hotels one often attends for weddings and I know they made the happy couple feel special throughout the preparations and the day itself.

It is total quality and a lovely experience.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I recently arranged a funeral buffet at Whitley Hall. The staff couldn't do enough to help me and their care at this difficult time for me was much appreciated. They called me several times to make suggestions and check the menu and numbers. Nothing was too much trouble and on the day the buffet was prefect . The only slight error was that I had wanted to cover the bar bill but a change of staff halfway through resulted in some of my guests being charged for drinks.

Due to living out of the area my family and I stayed in the hotel the night before the funeral and I have also stayed several days the past two weeks while dealing with business. The staff have again been excellent and all three rooms I have stayed have been excellent .

It has been a pleasure to stay somewhere where customer service has seen so good and everyone has been so pleasant .

At what has been a really difficult time for me Whitley Hall has exceeded my expectations and their function quality couldn't be faulted.

Thank you to you all .

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Attended a Wedding at Whitley Hall and stayed the night. Wedding was wonderful, the Bedroom was lovely everything we needed. The only problem was we had to go outside to go to our room, which normally would have been ok however as it was raining and snowing all day and the following morning it did spoilt it a little. Drinks very expensive, did expect the residents bar to be open after midnight! My rating would have been higher if we hadnt got wet when we went to our room.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Just spent two nights here,what a beautiful hotel all the comforts you expect but in a traditional style. bar and lounge area are warm and comfortable ,the lounge had a lovely log fire blazing .
food and restaurant setting excellent with great service without being over the top,our room was very comfortable with all mod cons, free wi -fi included plus a .welcome glass of port in room and a bottle of pink bubbly as well, very very nice. we will return in the summer to enjoy the gardens as it was a bit cold this time around. a big thanks to all the staff you made us very welcome.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple