“Disappointing dinner menu” 4 of 5 bubbles

Whitley Hall Hotel
Ranked #2 of 54 Hotels in Sheffield
“Disappointing dinner menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in November and really enjoyed it, though the dinner menu was a little disappointing. We decided to stay again for my birthday because we love the hotel so much. As it was snowing the place was magical. Our room was delightful and staff very polite and helpful. But in our opinion the food appeared to have deteriorated even more. The starters was mostly fish. I don't like fish. The meat choice was pig cheek terrine. I don't eat pigs cheek so I chose a vegetarian option which was titled a taste of cauliflower. There were three tiny pieces of pickled cauliflower and cold cuscus. Not very appetising I can tell you. For mains we both had steak, this was obviously vacuum packed and not very warm. We were both very disappointed. PLEASE CHEF can we have some good English winter food. You would have thought that on a cold snowy January evening there would have been soup! We gave the food a second chance but we won't give it a third and so will not stay again. So sad as we love the hotel!

• Stayed January 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

We was lucky enough to be taken to this hotel for my hubbys late christmas do .What a great little hidden gem ,in Sheffield .We had a lovely room with everything you need ,with a nice bottle of fizz on ice as we entered the room .The staff was really nice and attentive .We also had our evening meal and wow what lovely food we was given .The hotel is set in lovely grounds and has an old feel to it with impressive fire places .The hotel bar drinks is very expensive but the hotel had a deal on which was £120 for bed and breakfast and £35 towards your evening meal,with a bottle of fizz in your room ,what a great bargain.We will defiantly be back in the summer .thanks Whitley hall and of course my hubby's boss .

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Nottingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

After friends recommending this hotel my boyfriend booked us a night away in the December holidays. He paid for an upgrade on the room and we were very disappointed with what we got. We travel a lot for work and found the room very average, was expecting a nice bathroom as friends had said they'd had nice large bathrooms etc on a normal priced booking. I rang reception to ask if we had the correct room, they explained we had and I got no response when stating how disappointed I was. There was a wedding on so we couldnt use the bar area, my boyfriend likes real ales and when asked at dinner what they had we were told there wasn't any. When he looked in the bar the following day he could see there was real ales on tap. Staff were friendly and polite, food was okay. As we booked online we werent aware there was a wedding, if we had known we would have booked a different date as it would have been nice to sit in the bar area. Overall, I dont think we will return but I do think our expectations were too high so can't 100% blame the hotel.

Room Tip: Ring up and dont book on line
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hertfordshire, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

Stayed here with a group of friends for New Year. Hotel is situated in countryside on the edge of Sheffield and the Peak district so is well placed for shopping in Meadowhall and exploring the Peaks which are beautiful. The main building dates back to C16th, and that is the part we all stayed in. Our room (11) was directly over the bar so I could imagine it would be very noisy if there was a function on and you wanted an early night! Comfortable, clean rooms but as it is very old the windows did not fit very well and were extremely draughty. Having said that they have really thick curtains fitted to compensate, and the decor in general was of a very high standard. The newly opened part of the hotel looked very nice and blended in with the old vey well, but I don't know what the rooms are like. We had a good time on New Year's eve but had to move from where we ate to another room, and by the time we got there could only sit right by the band who were too loud. In the end we retired to the bar where it was much quieter.
The grounds are beautiful and have a pair of peacocks in residence. Best part of the hotel was it's situation, and the worst part was having to move after dinner New Year's eve. I would recommend this hotel and would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms in the new extension may be quieter but the original has all the character. If you want quiet...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Sheffield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

We have had an overnight stay with dinner and breakfast. The hotel is charming and the staff are very helpful and friendly. We had an upgraded room in the new part. The room was great. The dinner was extremely good. Very modern and like eating something from Masterchef. I would recommend this anybody.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Sheffield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

I don't usually bother with these kind of sites but after a recent visit to this hotel I felt that I must.
Where to start? The hotel itself is spectacular, set in stunning grounds and the decor inside is very tastefully done and compliments the building perfectly. The open fire in the seating area is also much appreciated at this time of year!
The staff here are an absolute credit to the hotel, so welcoming from the minute you walk through the door to the second you leave. Everyone we encountered were very approachable and helpful with smiles on their faces (which is a rare find in itself these days!)
The food we had was very received, imaginative (without being pretentious), well cooked, well presented and above all very tasty!
At the time we stayed we got a very good deal (which I believe is only available January and February) and included dinner, bed and breakfast plus we had a bottle of pink sparkly stuff waiting for us in our room.
I'm not sure which hotel the negative reviewers on here were describing but it certainly was not the same hotel that myself and my wife just visited! If you want a first class hotel with a first class service then you expect to pay that little bit more for it but Whitley Hall have got the balance just right.
My only negative comment would be that the room in which we stayed was on the ground floor and looked out onto the front of the hotel so felt a little exposed. This is only a minor point though and the next time we stay we will simply request a room on the higher floor.
We will definitely be back to visit the hotel again as soon as we can escape the daily grind, don't change a thing!

Room Tip: Choose a room at he rear of the hotel to appreciate the lovely grounds
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Rotherham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here as part of the Champagne stop over with 6 friends and it was lovely, from start to finish the staff was friendly and attentive.

The ambience of the whole place is a country hotel, you could place yourself any where but it is on the outskirts of Ecclesfield, beautiful rooms and surroundings to match.

The food was lovely, especially the Dandilion and Burdock ice cream, Wow.

Breakfast is lovely and sitting having coffee with the open fire is just what you need when your slightly worse for wear.

Thank you to all the staff, I will definitely be returning in the warmer months to enjoy the scenery as the gardens and the brook with all the wildlife is a must.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends