“Great place for kids, lovely grounds”

Sheffield Weston Park Museum
Ranked #18 of 165 things to do in Sheffield
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Weston Park is an award-winning, family-friendly museum where the visitors come first. If visiting with children, simply wind up and release, but there is plenty of treasure here for adults too. Discover the real story of Sheffield, from its geological roots to the people, politics and music that shaped the modern city. Alongside old favourites such as Snowy the Polar Bear and Spike the Woolly Rhino, Weston Park plays host to a series of temporary exhibitions.
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 100 helpful votes
“Great place for kids, lovely grounds”
Reviewed May 6, 2014

A really lovely museum to take kids to. The vintage toy section is a real trip down memory lane, and afterwards you can stroll round the beautiful Weston Park. Definitely worth a visit.

Visited August 2013

London
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 99 helpful votes
“Brilliant museum for kids”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

I used to come here as a child when I was growing up in Sheffield and it was great then, though the highlight was a rather moth eaten bear which on pain of death one could not touch. Now I visit my parents in Sheffield once a month, and bring one of my children with me each time. It is so lovely for me to see my kids visit a place I knew and loved as a child, and to experience how wonderfully the museum has developed. We live in London and they know all the amazing museums here very well, but they have a special fondness for Weston park, which is accessible, local, and, they feel, 'theirs'.

It has a great shop (really, really good) and a nice cafe space (though service is impossibly slow and the menu could be more ambitious). But the child-friendliness of pretty well all the exhibits is extraordinary, and my children adore coming back and talk about what they will do in 'Granny's museum'. The butcher's shop and igloo are big, big hits.

I have no idea what this museum would be like for adults unaccompanied by small persons. I suspect the Sheffield exhibits would be fascinating (the big second room on the left), and the first room often has an interesting visiting exhibition. Beyond that, the bits at the far end are a bit more generic (stuffed animals, decaying bee colony, random artwork) are very much for kids/to make up the numbers. But they do their job really well and we happily spend a couple of hours here each month. I wanted to write this review to say thank you to the lovely staff and curators who have done a phenomenal job with an unassuming, eclectic local museum.

Visited March 2014
Leicester, United Kingdom
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“weston park museum sheffield”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I visited this museum with my grandson aged 17 months. He loved it and there were many parents and toddlers there with so much for the children to look at, touch and explore.

Visited December 2013
85 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 181 helpful votes
“Free attraction”
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Great free attraction also free to park. Kids love it here good for adults as well. You can pass a good hour by here its very interesting. Nice to no some things are still free. Also the cafe is fantastic the food they do is top quality and very reasonable prices. Plenty of seating as well they do lovely lunches.

71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“great for kids”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I have visited many times but this was the first time I have been with my 20 month old daughter, its free to enter and older children can pick up a worksheet to do. She loved it looking at all the different things and she loved the interactive parts like the opening windows, of course she was too young to understand everything but just being in a different environment was great. She loved pulling the draws out full of different bugs and butterflys.
When we finished we went to the cafe but unfortunately they where having problems with the card reader and we had no cash, but the cafe is large with plenty of seating. There is also a gift shop. The part outside is nice to stroll around, my daughter loved watching the ducks in the pond, even tho it was very cold.
Over all a great morning, I dont think you could spend all day there i think we was there about 1.5 hours and we took our time and looked at everything.
Parking can be difficult, we parked at the other side of the park and walked up. Parking is free on sundays.

Visited January 2014