“Would go again”

The Rising Sun
Ranked #346 of 1,447 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: British, Grill, Brew Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Visit The Rising Sun Hotel in Sheffield for authentic British cooking and real ales in a genuine local pub warmed by a cosy fire. Our pub-food menu features classic meals made with award-winning ingredients. Included are seasonal specials and buffet food for all occasions, and great value set menus too. You'll also find a hand-picked range of perfectly conditioned cask ales on tap, and a selection of fine wines from around the world. A true local in Sheffield, we're a great place to meet up with friends and swap stories. Take part in our weekly quiz, or just come to eat and relax in our stylish pub surroundings.
“Would go again”
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

Starters of liver pate and goat cheese tart where lovely.
Burger after a bit dry and spare rips were ok! Didn't rate the chips at all! Overall food ok combined with nice beer and a lovely atmosphere!

1 Thank matdro

“On the downward slide”
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

I've been going to the Sun for several years and, regrettably I have to admit it is on the slide. I last ate there a few months ago and it was awful. Allegedly it was shredded pork but came in a cheap BBQ dressing which was cloying and totally overwhelmed the pork and everything else. I left half.

The pub itself is warm and welcoming with a good range of cask beers and friendly but it seems costs are being cut.

On Mondays there is generally a pub quiz which stimulates controversy and conversation. Once upon a time (last year!) it was standing room only yet last week the pub was barely quarter full. The first prize is 8 drink tokens which must be redeemed within the following two weeks. Fair enough, but which idiot decided that they could only be redeemed for a very limited number if drinks?? What is the point winning if you cannot pick your drink and all cask beers bar Tetley are excluded? This from a pub selling itself on cask beers!

Following the quiz the host used to prepare sandwiches which were served free to all customers. This is still done but what is served is generally egg in mayonnaise or cheese diluted in mayo. No wonder trade is dropping off! These economies obviously are impacting on trade. It is situated in a prosperous area where clients will pay for quality so come on get your act together and stop cheap skating!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Poppo59
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Just like aunt Bessie makes”
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Just had lunch 28 th July must say the worst Sunday lunch ever.
I had 2 roast dinner half a chicken and beef. Chicken not bad but the tiny portion of beef was awful and tuff. The 3 roast potatoes parsnips were aunt Bessie not sure about the Yorkshire pudding.
The peas few beans and carrots definitely frozen. My partner had Salmon fish cakes they were Ok.
Overall would not go again £21 with one drink not worth it.

• Visited July 2013
“Worst Sunday Roast ever!”
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

My family and I went for some food today and we left feeling very disappointed about the food that we paid for. That said the atmosphere of the pub is lovely and the staff were friendly and helpful. On ordering, my husband asked if he could have poached eggs on his gammon steaks and was told they only did fried! I ordered a roast beef dinner with all the trimmings and had to pay an extra £1.95 for some additional potatoes as I was sharing with my 18 month old daughter. The food arrived in around 12 mins. My husbands gammon steak was watery, the chips were anything but freshly cooked but my roast dinner was by far the worst roast dinner I've ever seen and tasted. The parsnips and roast potatoes were deep fried (aunt Bessie's or similar), the peas and green beans were dried and over cooked, the gravy had big lumps in it and the worst element the roast beef was chewy, fatty and even using a steak knife I struggled to cut it. We paid £23 for our meals including two soda waters. We were so annoyed and upset that we left most of our meal and just left. We've both eaten at the Rising Sun before and it's been okay generally for pub food but after today we will not be going back. Such a shame as the atmosphere is lovely and the staff were friendly. Awful awful food lets it down.

2 Thank Bopjella
“Consistently good!”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

The Rising Sun is a pub/restaurant with charm and character. Their menu is extensive and not at all expensive. Well cooked, tasty food is served promptly by friendly and efficient staff who clearly know their customers. I would say that The Rising Sun is a cut above many of the other local hostelries and one to which I return frequently when needing a quick convenient inexpensive evening meal with friends or family.