“can't wait to go back to "Back of House"”
Review of Back of house - CLOSED

Back of house
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 6, 2013

As stated above, can't wait to go back, the food was gorgeous, just enough, not too much (hate feeling stuffed and uncomfortable when over faced at most restaurants). We were a large party and think we covered most options on the menu and the opinion was unanimous - absolutely fantastic - thank you

1  Thank hantil

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We've been meaning to eat here for a while, and last week, finally got round to it, prompted mainly by our recent visit to Hix Oyster and Chop house in London, where Richard the chef used to work. My only regret is that we didn't come here before, the food is easily the best in Sheffield. I had the scallop starter, my wife a special, pan fried mackerel and pork belly. Both excellent, imaginative and above all good to eat.

For our main courses we both had the ox cheek, which was more or less perfect, very well cooked, with a great risotto and crispy bone marrow fritters, the only fault I could pick was that the risotto was maybe a minute or two under, but maybe that's just me. We had sides of cauliflower cheese, which was very good, and some mash, which wasn't needed, but I'd been told by someone I trust that the mash there was the best they'd ever had, I agree.

Pudding was the duck egg custard tart, which was great, and a very well kept selection of Yorkshire cheese, served at the right temperature with a good chutney.

The only issue I have is the wine list, it needs expanding a bit, though the champagne is good.

3  Thank J0nG2013
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I visited Back of House as part of a group of 4 on Saturday, the same night as the previous review. I feel like we must have been at a different place as we had a great night. The quality of the food was outstanding, presented beautifully and all with an unexpected twist that just made the dish. We ordered 2 of the mackerel scotch eggs and 2 of the scallops for starter and they were all tasty and attractively presented.

For the main courses we had the rib eye, belly pork, ox cheek and monkfish. The combination of flavours were amazing. The portion sizes weren't at all over facing, this made every mouthful a pleasure instead of struggling to finish.

We finished our meal off with 4 stunning cheeses served with 'fruit pastilles' and homemade chutney and crackers. Again a different twist to a simple cheese course.

Throughout the meal we enjoyed a few cocktails including the special which was watermelon martini (amazing!!!) and a sharer cocktail which was served in a copper kettle. Water was served with cucumber instead of lemons which I will definitely start doing as its much nicer than lemon.

We understand they were missing a chef or 2 in the kitchen that evening but this didn't impact on the service or quality of the meal.

The cost of the meal with drinks and coffee was definitely in line with the quality of food received and I would be more than happy to visit again and recommend!

2  Thank xoxoxox77
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We went to Back of House last night with 2 friends & in all honesty it was a bit of a disaster.

For starters we ordered local tomatoe`s & 2 x home made breads, the tomatoe`s starter was tiny, the mozzarella was almost non existant garnished with a few slithers of tomatoe`s but at £7 it was far from value for money. The home made bread was literally a finger roll that I would question was `home made` & to charge £3.50 for a finger roll and a bit of butter is scandalous. My wife chose chicken for her main meal and described as akin to eating rubber, the ox cheek our friend had was almost inedible & my belly pork was fatty and tasted of nothing.

The staff were very nice, albeit a bit tired, and the general atmosphere was fine but at £120 + for a meal for four we were expecting something a bit more than the very basic serving we got, sadly we will not be returning, on departing we just felt it needs to return to its previous state when it was Kitchen as we had several lovely meals there & the food was infinitely better.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

A fine, sunny, warm summer evening and Back of house seemed to have created the right decor and atmosphere to match the weather. The service staff were relaxed, friendly, enthusiastic and polite - spot on so that the professional delivery of the dishes contributed to making for a comfortable meal. I had the scallops with chicken wings and curried cauliflower as a starter and my dining companion chose the smoked mackerel scotch egg. Much of my starter was very tasty though the scallops were a relatively small part of the dish rather than the centre piece which was a little disappointing and the curried cauliflower did not seem to contribute very much. Eventually the flavour of everything was lost because of 2 strips of very crackly crackling which were incorporated in the dish and which were extremely salty and killed the flavour of everything else. Sadly, my companion was not too enthusiastic about his mackerel scotch egg, expressing the opinion that it was almost tasteless.
I enjoyed a lovely glass of Chilean Cabinet Sauvignon/Merlot from the wine list. We both chose the pork belly main course served with pig cheeks and rhubarb. The pig cheeks were gorgeous and the belly equally as tasty. The rhubarb made the point that it's nice to try something different but on the whole apple is a better accompaniment than rhubarb - I think that it's the little bit of sweetness that apple has and rhubarb lacks that was missing though the acidity of the rhubarb did some of the work with the pork. Most upsetting was the £3 side-dish of seasonal greens which was served on a Lilliputian-sized dish and was far too expensive for what was served. In fact, I found that all the pork meat had filled me and I was glad that we did not order any other side dishes for £3 a go(especially if the amount served matched the minimalistic amounts of peas, sugarsnaps and beans that made up the seasonal greens).The accompanying crackling was very tasty and this time not overwhelmingly salty although it was rather hard to cut through and required a carpenter's techniques to break it up to render it edible. My companion was satisfied with his plate of pork but not bursting with enthusiasm.
I had the deconstructed "strawberries and cream" for dessert. It was actually very enjoyable but perhaps one or two more strawberries on the plate may have been nice (my plate had one - and possibly a fraction more - strawberry cut up into segments). The little dish of strawberry creme brûlée was very pleasant. My companion had the custard tart and ice cream for his dessert and he thought it was the best course of the meal but could not understand why a strawberry ice cream was served with the dish when he thought that vanilla flavour would have been much more complementary to the flavour of the tart.
So, actually a very pleasant evening served by charming, enthusiastic young people who are keen to please and some tasty food, much of it delicious, though there were a few weak spots. The £20 3 course early evening meal represents excellent value and I know that profits are made on the extras but I strongly suggest that the restaurant is a little more generous with amounts served in the side dishes. I think that this restaurant is well on its way to achieving greatness in Sheffield. One final thing, leaving a message to reserve a table on the recording machine proved frustrating as I did not get a reply until I finally managed to speak to someone 4 days after leaving my first message. A bit of tightening up there seems necessary.

2  Thank white_knight_and_dog
BOHadmin, Owner at Back of house, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Thanks for your review. We have taken on board your comments and are working on them. We are putting in place a call divert system and have looked into the starter dishes you had.

Kind Regards,