“The diversity of India!”
Review of Maveli

Maveli
Ranked #38 of 1,520 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Sheffield City Centre's only authentic South Indian Restaurant where the food is freshly cooked on order. Enjoy the taste of succulent chicken, quail, lamb, fish ,prawns, calamari & egg dishes cooked in distinctive South Indian spices. Flavoursome vegetable dishes for those who love their veggies! Try delectable paper thin Dosas & Vadas (savoury doughnuts) drenched in South Indian style Chutneys & tangy Sambar. NOT UK's typical curry house fare! Find us on Glossop Rd ( end of West Street, at Sheffield Baths , Swim Inn Building ). Fully licensed Restaurant & Bar with a TAKE AWAY SERVICE too .Can cater for private events at home or other venues.
Reviewed October 9, 2013

All the little dances performed by my taste buds brought on by the clever use of spices in my fish curry is well remembered 3 weeks later.
Fantastic South Indian Restaurant must return soon to try the comprehensive menu!

Cherian2013, Owner at Maveli, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Thanks for your kind & encouraging words ! We shall definitely tell our chef of your kind words about his Fish Curry. We look forward to seeing you again at Maveli .

Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

Gonna recommend to my friends and family . Very tasty food reasonable price too . Definitely go back again . Order masala dosai biriyani Kuthu porotta and fish curries too was really yummy

Cherian2013, Owner at Maveli, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

We are delighted you enjoyed your meal ( & the price ) at Maveli . We are also happy that the Biriyani , Kothu Parotta , Masala Dosa & the Fish Curry matched your expectations . Thanks for taking the time and trouble to write about us . Look forward to meeting you again .

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Not tried South Indian food before visiting this place and this was our second visit. On our first visit we found the staff really helpful and friendly and were glad to find the same on our return.

We had Andhra Chilli Chicken and Lamb Ularthiyathu for starters. Both were excellent and my partner thought the lamb was one of the best dishes she's ever eaten in a restaurant. Kovalam Meen Kolanbu and a Chicken Masala Dosa for main course and drinks. The lot came in at £37 for the two of us, which I thought was very reasonable.

The food is really high quality, fresh tasting and light (not heavy like your standard curry fare), the staff are great and the restaurant is just around the corner from the New Bath Hotel for those of you that are partial to a pint of Thornbridge afterwards!

Cherian2013, Owner at Maveli, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

We are really happy you liked South Indian food at Maveli . (And we did tell our Chef about your kind comments on his cooking). Glad that the food , service & most especially the bill matched your expectations. Looking forward to seeing you again . Thanks for writing in about us.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

I visited Maveli with a very large group and the staff were incredibly welcoming, helpful and accommodating - we couldn't have asked for better service! The service was quick (especially considering our large numbers) and the staff very friendly. The restaurant itself felt cosy but spacious.

I really enjoyed the food, I had a dosa which was crisp and delicious - and everybody I spoke to thoroughly enjoyed their food too. It's wonderful to finally have a south Indian restaurant in Sheffield city centre - I've been keeping an eye out for years!

I'd strongly recommend this restaurant to others and I can see why it got such good reviews so quickly, and I will certainly be coming back!

Cherian2013, Owner at Maveli, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Thanks for your very encouraging review about Maveli . We are happy you liked the dosa and all of you had a good time. Hope to see you (all) again .

Reviewed September 29, 2013

I went to Maveli along with my family after reading decent reviews on tripadvisor and really thought we were going to have a good meal but I could not have been more wrong. Myself and my family are indian and know about south indian food very well and have eaten at many different south indian cafe's and restaurants around the UK but I have to say this restaurant is the worst south indian restaurant that we have been to not only because of the poor quality food but also the service which was equally very poor. We decided not to order any starters which was a blessing and went straight to the mains course. I had Mutton Biriyani which was visually ok but the taste of the rice was very poor. It tasted like it had been made in advance and then heated in the serving dish in the microwave which made the rice very dry and stuck together which was not pleasent at all the rice grains should of been seperate but because it was overheated in the microwave this was not the case. The biriyani was served with raita which had no flavour and was very bland. My wife ordered Potato Masala with 2 Poori's (Indian Fried Bread), When my wife's order came to the table the pooris were not puffed up like they should be after being fried but were flat like a deflated tyre and not crispy but soggy and all my wife could taste was oil. As for the potato masala which came with poori's this was served to my wife in a very small dish and the potatoes were not even lukewarm but cold in temperature which is a total no no for any food establishment. The waiter did take the potato masala back to the kitchen and reheated it in the microwave and brought it back but by that time the deflated and oily poori's were cold but never once did the waiter say that he will bring some fresh poori's because they have gone cold so my wife was left to eat the now hot potato masala with cold pooris because of Maveli poor restaurant customer service managing.skills. Also just another thing to mention when my wife ordered the potato masala we asked if she could have it made spicy and all the waitress said was that it is pre-made and that she will add some green chillies ontop. Are you telling me that they could not get a pan out and add the potato masala in the pan and then add dry chillies and fresh chillies and cook and then serve in the dish so the chillies are not raw like they were ontop of the potato masala. My dad and mum ordered Masala Dosa but when it arrived my mum had alot more potato filling in her dosa and my dad had alot less, So my dad called the waiter and told him that he has got alot less potato filling in his dosa compared to my mum and the waiter said he will bring some more potato filling for my dad. After that the waitress came and told us all that if anyone wants anymore filling you will have to pay extra per person which was lovely of her after the previous waiter agreed with us. My dad was left to eat his hardly filled dosa which he was very upset at. The masala dosa was also very tateless with the filling very bland with no flavour it was just like boiled potatoes with a few spices and no flavour of the traditional mustard seeds. Also the potato filling used for the dosa was lukewarm and that was no surprise because the dosa which is traditionally served along with Sambar,Coconut chutney and Chilli and tomato chutney came first to the table for my dad and mum at least 5 minutes before the sambar,coconut and chilli chutney's arrived which are meant to be served along with the dosa and eaten at the same time the dosa arrives at the table so that is also a reason the potato masala was barely lukwarm. All the waitress said in reply after we told her was that the kitchen are short staffed and thet one person is doing everything. This reply from the waitress was amazing how can a restaurant run on a Saturday night with no staff. There is no excuse why the dosa's arrived before the sambar etc if the restaurant was organised but Mavelli is very poorly run and managed and the waitress has no customer skills. We will 100% not be coming back again and honesly agree that this is the WORST SOUTH INDIAN RESTAURANT THAT WE HAVE TRIED IN THE UK. A restaurant will go well if the food is fresh and tasty and the owners are organised and have good customer skills. A restaurant will also go if it has a heart and the owners at Maveli have no heart. The portion sizes are tiny, The food is bland and arrives cold, If you order different dishes they all arrive at your table at seperate times with a decent waiting gap in between like our experience My biriyani arrived first then my wife's cold potato masala and then after 5 minutes my dad and mum masala dosa which was served with a tiny potato filling and no chutney's until 5 minutes after which were served in small dishes. Like I said restaurant owners.need a heart and Mavelli 100% does not have a heart and if it does its a very cold one. All I would say if you do want to try this restaurant please dont waste your money on this restaurant there are plenty more better resaurants in the area to spend your money.

5  Thank Prem J
Cherian2013, Owner at Maveli, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2013

Sincere apologies about your experience at Maveli. However we would politely like to mention that it's physically impossible to run any restaurant on any day of the week with a single chef ! There are a few points you have raised that requires clarification from us ...We serve a Chettinadu Style Biriyani that has a slightly moist quality to it - Something our numerous South Indian guests expect of that specific dish . While we try to keep the food as authentically South Indian as possible , the fact is we cater to varied spice tolerance levels from across the UK , Europe , North India & South India. It is sometimes a bit difficult to find a middle path to suit everyone's individual preferences .And it's not financially viable to serve refills of Dosa Stuffing or other accompaniments (all of which are standard size portions). We have taken note of the rest of your complaints & amended our procedure so that we can serve our guests better . On a personal note , Maveli is a business owned by people who have long worked within the Hospitality Industry. We work extremely hard ,putting in lots of time & effort , just to make sure that the quality & service is maintained at the highest level. We truly hope you give us another chance to redeem ourselves .