“Wonderful food & exceptional service”
Review of Xenophily Cafe - CLOSED

Xenophily Cafe
Cuisines: Middle Eastern, Turkish
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Do you want to get a flavour of the Middle East without leaving Sheffield? Well now you can as Xenophily Cafe is the first ever Turkish/Syrian Indie mezzo bar cafe to open in Sheffield. It is located on Ecclesall Road near Hunters Bar Roundabout. Xenophily Cafe serves Mediterranean breakfasts all day and English breakfast with a Mediterranean twist so no matter what time your hungry we are always open.Xenophily Cafe is a specialist in authentic high quality Syrian/Turkish Mezze and Shawarma (Sandwiches) which are served throughout the day and are perfect for sharing with a loved one on Friday and Saturday Evenings, eating as a picnic in the nearby Encliffe park or taking out to the office. If you are serious about tea, coffee and cakes then Xenophily cafe is for you including authentic turkish tea and all blends of coffee endorsed by one of only 25 UK Barista Championship Judges perfectly complemented by the large variety of home made freshly baked cakes on offer. Are you thinking oh no I can't go because I have a special diet? Well no need to feel left out Xenophily Cafe prides itself in taking care of a whole range of diets Gluten Free, Vegan, Vegetarian, sugar free and wheat free to name but a few with plenty of options for all its menus including the Mezze and cakes.So no matter what your background, if you fancy bringing your own wine or drinking our locally sourced high quality alcohol free wine or freshly squeezed juices and settling down for a day or evening of Middle Eastern fun then come down to Xenophily Cafe.
Reviewed November 29, 2013

I have visited Xenophily Cafe on a number of occasions & tried something different every time. The breakfast is exceptional as are the sandwiches. As for the homemade cakes, they are full of flavour & are much, much better than the thaw & serve options you get at most cafés in the area.

The service is always warm & friendly & the staff are very knowledgeable.

A real find & one not to be missed.

1  Thank terry1campbell

Reviewed November 29, 2013

I have visited this café for breakfast and lunch and have had delicious food both times. The lady who works in there is very attentive and friendly. I went with my baby who was very well accommodated for.

1  Thank Fem44
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I visited this café with my two friends last weekend for some lunch and was quite disappointed. My Latte was luke-warm to begin with, so not a great start. The eggs benedict I had ordered was very sub standard as well: firstly, it was served with bacon, rather than traditional ham. Not that I'm not a fan of bacon, but it was quite fatty. Secondly, the Panini it was served on was cold, so upset the balance of the dish. Thirdly and most annoyingly, one of my poached eggs was very undercooked. Now, I'm sorry, but it's not hard to cook a poached egg so clearly the chef in the kitchen needs some extra training. The Hollandaise sauce was ok, but didn't make up for the rest of the dish which was a bit of a disaster really!

I decided to go with a slice of cake for desert so chose a piece of the home-made toffee apple cake from downstairs. It arrived 10 minutes later on a plate, accompanied by a little jug of caramel sauce (nice touch) but I felt ripped off - it was TINY! probably about a couple of centimetres in width by an inch or two long - how the hell can they charge a few quid for that!? To top it off, my friend also found a hair in her lunch which the waitress had made a feeble attempt to pass off as a bit of fluff. Erm, no. It was a hair. You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to work that one out.

Before this place became Xenophilly, it was called 'Taste' and was run by local chef Marco Zerboni. Marco ran Taste as probably the best café in Sheffield, so to see it under such disappointing new ownership is a real shame.

If Xenophilly want to survive on Ecclesall Road, they need to sort out the right ingredients for their dishes, teach the chef how to prepare the food properly, give people value for money when slicing their cake portions, serve their drinks hotter and not make excuses when people find hairs in their food. The Waitresses were very polite and offered to take the cost of my friends lunch off the bill (for the hair), but she's too polite to make a fuss over it.

I rarely write reviews (this is my first time on trip advisor), but felt compelled to do so after such a bad experience at what used to be my favourite place to eat in Sheffield. Bring back Marco.

1  Thank therunner321
XenophilyCafe, Owner at Xenophily Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2013

I was really sorry to read your first review on tripadvisor was such a negative review. We are trying to do things different at Xenophily and are just learning what the customers like. For example we are not a traditional english cafe therefore our hollandaise is served with sumac and lemon.

In terms of the value for money on the cake our cakes are made from premium high quality, difficult to source ingredients which is why the portion was so small. We reviewing the margins to give better value to the customer.

As for the fluff we asked several times if you wanted a replacement but you declined. We also asked three times if your coffee was ok and you said it was fine as we are happy to replace coffees at the customer's request if the customer is not satisfied. Apologies your visit was not as you expected but we do feel we have tried our best to request feedback and ensure customers leave happy at the time of your visit face to face rather than in the public domain on Tripadvisor.

Owner of Xenophily Cafe
Rachel

Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

Came to this cafe for some lunch! Food was very fresh, has got lots of options, not expensive at all and very friendly staff! I would definitely recommend it!

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Been to this place on 3 or 4 occasions now - usually at a weekend for breakfast/brunch - and every time have been quietly impressed with the experience. There is a good mix of ‘traditional’ and Mediterranean/Turkish based cuisine on the menu and the staff have always been very friendly. The owner in particular is always trying to do her best to look after customers and find out if they have enjoyed everything.

My only quibble would be that on each occasion I’ve been it seems to take a little bit longer for everything on our order to arrive, although it has never (quite) reached the point where I’ve felt I need to ask if there is some kind of problem and it hasn’t stopped me going back (yet). If it continues in that vein it might begin to tarnish my impressions of the place which would be a shame.

Other than that small grumble on timekeeping though I would say that for something a little bit different it is definitely worth a visit.