“Small, Pleasant village, Big Sunday Carvery”

No photo provided
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I recently went into The Cartwheel for a Sunday carvery with my family of 4. On entering the bar area we were greeted by a young woman with a beaming smile and were pleasantly asked our booking name and confirmed we were having three courses. she then took our drinks order and we had a 5-10minute wait before being shown to our table. I had a tomato soup for starters which came in a big bowl with warm bread. I would go as far as saying this soup was better than heinz and as previous comments suggest it is out of a tin, I'm sorry i could not disagree more!! my mum also had the soup and had no complaints. We each had the carvery for mains and were given large amounts of meat (usually when i go to restaurants i am given small portions of meat as im a small built woman, but i love meat so being given lots was nothing for me to complain about!) I chose the gammon and beef. the gammon is the best I have ever tasted! I am not normally a huge fan of beef but again, i loved it! vegetables were then brought to our table in hot turrines: a choice of carrots, cabbage, cauliflower, roast and boiled potatoes. the veg was plentiful though we did ask for more roasties which the waitress was happy to get us. Gravy with added meat juice was a lovely touch and made the meal that more tasty! (from the carvery you can get yorkies - although not homemade but the chefs are only human: surely they dont have enough hours in the day to make EVERYTHING homemade! - stuffing which was lovely and mustard mash. Now, i'm a fussy eater and wasnt keen on the idea of mustard mash but never-the-less i gave it a whirl and it makes mash that bit less boring!!

Our table was shortly cleared after we finished, however this took a couple of waitresses: i'm guessing they've not worked there that long? we were then asked for our dessert choices. My sister chose the chocolate fudge cake, warm with ice-cream which kept her quiet! my mum opted for the carrot cake which she soon demolished, and myself and my dad had the eton mess which was gorgeous!

Overall I am very pleased with our visit to the cartwheel and we will be returning again. the only negative points i would pick up on are the cost. But for gorgeous meat, a friendly environment in a nice village, i would happily pay once in a while. maybe bring the prices down to entice more customers? Some of the waitresses were obviously inexperienced, but the more experienced amongst the team were very helpful, welcoming and friendly.

Many thanks for a pleasant, enjoyable meal! See you again soon! :)

1  Thank PinkCupcake91

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We visited for a groupon deal on a Friday night. There were 3 tables taken in the large eating area and one table taken in the small quaint bar area. The village, surroundings and establishment itself gives you a promising first impression. The man on the bar wasn't particularly pleasant or cheerey, didn't appear thrilled to be there; the food when it arrived (took 45 mins for starters) wasn'r great at all. The starters we had was a very over cooked mackerel and a tastey broccoli/stilton velouté (thick soup) with a chewy severely undercooked ravioli.. The mains included a lamb dish with some un-seasoned, bland courgettes/aubergines and charcoaled cashew nuts. The other main was a very disappointing butternut squash roasted with some fancy bits of foam, blackened beyond saving charcoaled sunflower seeds, sweet potato mash and a very tastey cheesey potato dumpling. I also ordered a side of chips. These were homemade and really nice. Most of the main meal was left as the charcoaled sunflower seeds were scattered across the whole meal and left a burnt taste throughout. We were going to have desert but left as soon as we could. I have had some great meals in my time. Using groupon to check out new places we've not visited previously seemed like a good idea. But when you're left as disappointed as we were, it has made me question whether we'll use groupon again.
We left feedback for the waitress but were not questioned on paying at the bar on leaving how we had found our meal, which made me think he didn't really want to know. If we hadn't have already paid and were paying the full rate, I'd have struggled to part with any more than a fiver to be honest.
In my opinion, they'd be better of putting effort into being a good pub grub specialist with home cut chips, pies, steaks etc...not trying to be a la carte and proving that they haven't got the capacity to deliver this. I would much rather have a great curry/pie and chip dish from a lovely pub in a great location than at best the underwhelming, at worst inedible, nicely presented dish we were given....

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Just got back from an awful meal here. Pâté for starter was tiny and looked more like dog food and was served with stale bread. Main course was disgusting-nothing was home cooked. The Yorkshire puds and veg were all frozen. To be fair the meat wasn't as bad. Desserts were probably the best part of the meal until I found a hair in my chocolate fudge cake. I told the waitress who said that she'd tell the chef but did not apologise. When we went to pay the bill they tried to overcharge us for things we hadn't had and when I told the owner about the hair in my desert he just replied 'ok thanks bye'. Go here if you like terrible service and even worse food.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We went to the Cartwheel for sunday lunch on the Groupon deal.
Firstly, I must say the food was brilliant...and enough to feed a small family!!
The chef was pleasant and polite and piled the meat on.!!!

Then comes the service........
We order drinks at the bar as we arrived.
We were shown to our table after a group that arrived after us!!
We sat down and waited.....and waited....and waited!!!
In the end we called a waitress to order our starter.
By this time 3 groups had been seated, ordered and were eating there mains!!
We ate the starter and had to wait again to be taken for the main course.
By this time all the other groups had finished and left.!!!

All in all I'd give the Food 10/10.....
And the Service......4/10....

Improve the service and you've got a great pub/restaurant.!!!

1  Thank AndyCupes
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Recently visited this pub/restaurant after purchasing a Groupon deal for Sunday lunch for two. On arrival we were asked what name the booking was in then given the menu to choose a starter (the groupon deal was Sunday lunch plus either a starter or desert) we had a short 10 minute wait before getting taken through to the resaurant and shown to our table, the lady explained that our waitress would be along shortly to take our order of starters. There were 5/6 other tables taken, it was no mean busy, there seem to be plenty of staff and a chef on the carvery. Waitresses were coming in and out of the kitchen serving the other tables, not one of them made eye contact with us sat at a table for two without food. After about a 15 minute wait I decided to call a waitress over and ask if we could order starters, she took our order and confirmed that we were here for the carvery as well. 10 minutes later our starter arrived which were delicious, after we had finished we waited to be told we could go up to the carvery, unfortunately after 15 minuntes and our table still not cleared I again caught the attention of a waitress, she cleared the table and told us to go up and get the carvery. The meal itself was fabulous I can't fault it, there was a choice of 4 meats, mustard mash & yorkshire puds, then you got 4 side dishes of veg, roast & boiled potatoes & gravy. Full wasn't the word, we finished around 2pm and i didn't eat anything else until the following morning. I took note of 6 people coming into the restaurant whilst we were eating, they were shown to their table and within 2 minutes their starters arrived, cleared straight away and were all up getting their carvery, they finished their meal and left the restaurant within 40 mins, we were at our table a total of 1hr due to the fact we had been forgotten about.

Although our experience wasn't great with the waiting staff I would definately go back to eat as I can't fault the food.