“A shame”

Hare and Hounds Pub
Ranked #807 of 1,427 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
“A shame”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

I live locally and this used to be a very nice pub, but that was several years ago and unfortunately it has gone down hill and never recovered despite having several different managers.
The brewery really ought to wake up and put a good manager in this pub and some investment.
The top bar is frequented by tracky bottom and baseball cap types, the pub is in a poor state of repair and has had problems with drugs........I do not know if it still does as I only went back in last weekend just to see if anything had changed! Unfortunately there seems to be little evidence of any improvements which is a real shame, needless to say I will not be calling in again for sometime unless I hear the pub has improved significantly.

Visited February 2014
3 Thank Del B

“poor service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

i had ordered two singles of jura whisky with 2 cubes of ice each. The bartender was insistent on looking at my id in spite of me being 37 years old. This is fine, but he kept looking at the id for ages and saying things like i look very young but the photo of my DL looked like me so it might be me. When i asked if he was satisfied and requested my id card back, he said he was till looking at the details. He then proceeded to pour the whisky as a double into one glass and gave it to me. I told him that the order was for 2 singles. he then proceeded very slowly to pour the same whisky into two separate glasses without measuring and gave it to me. i told him that i had asked for 2 cubes of ice each!! The gist is that your staff are concentrating on checking the id of the customer( which is good) but then a very poor service.The order took nearly 3 times as should have taken leaving other people waiting. When i told the bartender, he said it was checking id came first and service 2nd!! I have visited hundreds of the best pubs in the country and was astounded that your employee could come up with such a statement. this probably is a statement that is prevalent amongst staff in underage nightclubs/city centre bars and not befitting of a good suburban pub.

• Visited September 2013
“Scrappy rough unclean”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Pub looked like it had many faults with it holes in walls rotten wood etc, service average didn't say much food looked lovely didn't have any but really looked appetising

• Visited July 2013
Bradford
“New management?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

We had a feeling that this was under new management for some reason. We selected our lunches and one of us went to the bar to order and pay. He is allergic to onions and it took a little while for staff to confirm that the meat pie did in fact contain them so he ordered the chicken. The food took quite a while to appear, but on this occasion it did not matter as we were having a leisurely day out. My friend was very impressed with her all-day breakfast, both for quality and quantity. My sister ordered a small steak pie and was given the larger one at the same price as they had run out of smaller ones. My brother in law seemed happy with his chicken and my cauliflower and chickpea curry was very good. It was served with a mould of 'sticky rice' and garnished decoratively with a 'flower' of tiny slices of spring onion and red chilli. The staff were helpful and pleasant and we would certainly return. I think fatmaggot and joolsmicra should give it another chance.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank cyberbabs
“Lacking in character.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

Okay food and service without a smile. I live local and it is dissapointing to see pubs which are under so much pressure to thrive get it so very wrong. One lady behind the bar just looked like she really didn't want to be there and appeared like dhe didn't care. So for me locally Devonshire arms for the real ale and warm welcome. If you want service with a smile this hound doesn't bark!

1 Thank MrFatMaggot