“Cheap cuts of meat on a stick - will delight the undiscerning!”
Review of Tropeiro Sheffield - CLOSED

Tropeiro Sheffield
Cuisines: Brazilian
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Tropeiro is a Brazilian Restaurant based on the “Rodizio” dining concept. In Brazil we take the simplest idea of combining wonderfully seasoned meat and flames with skill and patience, in order to capture the meat´s individual flavour. These mouth-watering meats are cooked on the barbecue and carved directly to your plate at the table. With each of the different cuts offering a unique and succulent experience, you just can’t help but indulge yourself. Our menu offers up to twelve different cuts of meat, depending on the time of day you eat, and our full range includes beef, pork, lamb and chicken; accompanied by unlimited access to a sumptuous selection of gourmet salads, fresh-cut vegetables and a variety of traditional Brazilian side dishes.
Reviewed June 15, 2013

If quantity is more important, or even just as important, as quality - and you like meat - then don't hesitate to come here. You'll love it.

If however you appreciate good quality meat in particular then I'd seriously go somewhere else.

Look - this place isn't "bad" it's just very average fare with a bit of theatre thrown in. It's a big place inside, used to be the Bar & Grill before - a decent quality modern brasserie type place. But that ultimately failed in Sheffield because it's not really what the majority seem to want. However, I think this place will fare far better - because it's now gone a bit more downmarket than in its previous guise - the restaurant is more canteen like with tables packed in tight - and the food...well, it just keeps coming if you keep asking.

This place is obviously another chain restaurant and there are several more around the UK. You get a chance to help yourself to some salad type things - and the selection isn't bad actually - but then you sit down and turn your little beer mat type thing over so it shows green side up and the food starts coming.

They bring the food, various cuts of meat, on large metal skewers and they carve bits of it off at the table. You grab your little tweezers and place it on your plate.

They brought sausages to start with - which were fine. Then came various other cuts of meat, but none of it particularly good quality. They were cheap cuts in the main. Brisket, chicken thighs, a tough old bit of lamb and so on. They had no chicken - other than the little bony thighs, and after several rounds of meat we'd still not seen any steak. I asked if they had any and only at this point did the waiter come back with a bit of sirloin - by far the best meat of the night.

It seems like they will try and fill you up with the cheap cuts and you'll not get to see much of the better cuts of meat unless you specifically ask for it. I can't say I blame them tbh - because I don't think most diners here would know the difference anyway.

But if you do - then you might find this a tad disappointing.

Not bad - but not very good - just average.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

A good choice for something different for a group meal. Make sure you are hungry first and are up for a lot of meat. Service was a but annoying and other reviewers are right in that they definitely spent more time with others or disappear back to the kitchen just as they get near your table, and we quite often had a long wait between meats, but it does give you a bit of a break inbetween eats.
The meat itself was hit and miss - some were great such as the chicken and lamb, others less so such as pretty unexciting sausages and overcooked beef.
You definitely won;t leave hungry, although for £20+ you would not expect to either. Overall fun for a different night out, particularity in a party, but not one to do regularly.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Let's be upfront, if you're vegetarian, don't bother. The only reason you're visiting here is because of the meat, we've been three times at lunchtime from work and been satisfied every time. There is a healthy sides counter to select from on a buffet basis, whilst the chaps come round cutting off bits of meat off the skewers.
Try to avoid going soon after 12 as all the meat isn't quite cooked, about 12.30 is probably a good time to arrive. The meat is tasty, especially the gammon.
Costs including a drink is about £13, but it is well worth it.

Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

Not busy however staff spent more time flirting with each other than attending customers. The food was lovely but not enough to make me try it again any time soon.

1  Thank LandLadySheffieldTun
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Came here with a group of friends for an evening out. There is a wide selection of meats available (about 10 I think), and the salad bar has much more than salad with some very tastey dishes (beans and pork stew, fish stew, mashed potatoes, rice, chips etc).
The staff were coming round with a wide selection of meat for the whole two hours we were there. You should allow at least 1.5 - 2 hours for the meal. It pretty good value for £22, however the drinks are expensive, especially the cockatils.
Only problem I had was getting additional drinks, the waiter comes with the meat regularly, but the bar staff do not come round very often!!
Also, watch out for the online booking. We booked our table online, then more friends wanted to come so I called the restaurant to amend the booking, at this point I was told they couldn't find my online booking and I should make a new one, which I did. I was also told to pay a £5pp deposit which would be deducted from the total bill. The person who answered the phone was going to call me back, but never did so I didn't pay the deposit but didn't have any problems when we got there either. I was surprised to see that the restaurant wasn't anywhere near full on a Saturday night, as I tried to get a table a few weeks earlier at 18:30 for two and was told I had no chance.