“Plough Low Bradfield nr Sheffield” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Plough Inn

The Plough Inn
Ranked #201 of 1,417 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Dining on a budget, Scenic view, Families with children, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We are a country free house that sells a wide range of local cask beer and serve traditional pub food all fresh and homemade. The pub has a marvellous large beer garden with chickens and rabbits for children to look at and a large carpark. great walks and cycling routes on the doorstep. Set in lower bradfield there's a large park with a cricket pitch and a bowls team to sit and watch on a sunny day. The pub was an old farm with the main area as the old coach house
Whitby, United Kingdom
“Plough Low Bradfield nr Sheffield”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

We called in at the Plough after a long days walking round the scenic countryside, the plan was to have 1 pint of beer then tackle the 40min walk uphill back to our accomodation, The beer was so good and the choice of real ales was excellent, the ambience was warm and welcoming and the 1 pint went out of the window.
After several more lovely beers we got chatting to Mandy the landlady, she was lovely, very friendly and she does know how to keep a good pint, she was kind enough to offer us a ride back to our cottage and said just let her know when we were ready to go. We did not sample the food but it did look very good and must do it on our next visit, I cannot praise this pub and its staff highly enough.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank rozmor6

Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
“Quality, atmosphere and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

I can't help but smile at the previous review as it misses a key ingredient (pardon the pun). My focus is always on the quality of the food and this is the highest standard at the Plough. The menu is varied: Chicken Tikka and Chicken Korma really isn't traditional fayre although regarded as such by those much younger than me. Mandy catered for 20 in our celebration party yesterday and she was able to do that quickly and to the highest standard I've ever experienced (I've entered my 50th decade and have more experience than I care to admit). All of us chose from the menu as we arrived (unheard of elsewhere when catering for those numbers) and all of the meals were properly prepared, cooked and presented. The reasons for my high score are: excellent quality ingredients which is always key to a good meal... I do mean ALL ingredients vegetables, salad, meat, fish, sauce. Excellent quality in flavour, so tasty. Excellent value for money. Surprising quantity; I couldn't finish my meal, but didn't want to give the wrong impression at all; hope Mandy wasn't offended! Excellent standard of service too. I do not hesitate in recommending the Plough to anyone and hope that those of you that are not ageist; averse to a real traditional public house atmosphere and definitely want good quality food, will give it a try. I know that I'm going back at the first opportunity I have! Well done Mandy and her team, long may you continue.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank Karen H
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Not as good as I expected.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

Me & the wife just been for a lunch. Read on here that this is a very good dining experience for a pub but was disappointed.
Very crowded dining area with tables to close together, the coal fire was way to hot & I felt like passing out.
Without being a little grumpy but the place was full of ladies & gents over the age of 70.
Now this is fine but at 39 I felt it was like a old persons home.
Right the food: Got to admit it wasn't the best no were near as expecting from the reviews I've read. The menu was really poor so We both had the pie of the day which was Meat & Potato which was nice. The gravy in my opinion was to runny/thin. Chips were average slightly soggy. The wife had mash which she commented was fine. Mushy peas were ace but what's hard about mushy peas.
Nearly £9 each which I suppose isn't bad.
We decided not to have pudding but they looked fine from what witnessed.
Overall small cramped, not a really exciting menu & full of the more senior people in the area.

1 Thank MADMURD75
“Fab village pub”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

We often go to The Plough for Sunday lunch and I have never had a disappointing meal there. The roasts are excellent value, but you need to go for the pie, particularly the meat and potato pie which is sublime. The puddings are also very very good. There is always local Farmer's Ale on (Bradfield Brewery), with the Plough having their own eponymous bitter, and the guest ales are always good to try too. There is a beer garden which proves popular in the summer.

Good to have your Sunday lunch and then blow the cobwebs away afterwards with a walk around Damflask!

• Visited September 2012
4 Thank Mooglove
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Historic traditional pub in picturesque village of Low Bradfield”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

I have visited the Plough Inn many times, but not recently, so I decided to visit again on a cold, cloudy Friday lunchtime to cheer myself up!! The pub is still a very traditional freehouse and is well known for its good value food and local ales. It was reassuring to find the pub was buzzing with customers even though it was only just past opening time.

This pub dates from 1809 and was originally a farm - the dining room on the left of the building still feels like a barn, with it's high ceiling with cartwheel, bare stone walls. huge fireplace and large arch-shaped window (making the room feel very airy in daytime), presumably converted from the barn door. There is an ample car park at the side, but the local buses to Hillsborough, Sheffield stop right outside the door and run until fairly late in the evening.

The food is hearty, simple traditional fayre at average prices suitable for everyday informal dining, but I did notice a large table of guests, maybe a birthday celebration.

I ordered liver & onions, with chips, carrots, cauliflower and peas. (£7.95) The liver was nicely cooked and tender and the chips had a nice even golden colour and were very fluffy inside, just perfect for me. The onions would have been better slightly browner and the gravy was on the thin side, but these are minor quibbles - I enjoyed the meal very much. I ordered a pint of Bradfield Brewery Blonde beer (£2.30) which is brewed up the hill at High Bradfield, well worth a visit to walk off your meal. (St Nicholas Church there has 12th century origins)

The pub sometimes host themed nights & dining and occasional live music. I am not personally vegetarian but did notice that there was a choice of 8 vegetarian main courses, which will come in handy when I plan to visit again soon with a friend as vegetarian options can be a bit limited in this area.

• Visited October 2012