“Underwhelming food but very good service” 3 of 5 bubbles

Prithiraj
Ranked #100 of 1,417 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: Asian, Bangladeshi, Indian, Balti
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Our aim is for customer to be satisfied in all aspects
Sheffield, Yorkshire, England
“Underwhelming food but very good service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

I noticed that this restaurant was at number two on the Trip Advisor list for Sheffield so last Friday my wife and I went along to see why it is so highly rated - expecting a really superb Indian meal. When we arrived at 6pm I was surprised to see that only one other table was occupied.

The environment was quite pleasant and clean even though the air-conditioning was far too chilly. The young staff on duty were all very civil and helpful. No problem with the quality of service.

However, the food itself was unexceptional. I had Handi Lamb and I found the meat didn't match up to the soft slow-cooked deliciousness that I have enjoyed in various other Indian restaurants. My wife's Chicken Tikka Massala was rather bland - just creamy and sweet. And the onion rice was not caramelised or slightly smoky.Was the nan bread made from scratch behind the scenes in a tandoori oven? Doubt it. No - I am afraid the food was just okay - nothing more. Large bottles of Cobra were £4.50 each.

A significant number of the Prithiraj's previous reviewers have only contributed one or two reviews to Trip Advisor which should perhaps make some alarm bells ring.

4 Thank Neil_in_Sheffield_UK
Prithi R, Manager at Prithiraj, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. We are deeply apologetic that you did not receive the quality of food that our restaurant is now known for. We understand that not everyone can be perfect which is why 5-10mins after getting the meal our waiters will come and ask if the meal is ok. But unfortunately I can not remember any of our dinner on a friday claiming that the lamb is not to its standards. Finally the reviews on the site control I would believe ,we like to think and believe that we are known for quality and the service so please do not think that the reviews are meant to ring bells. We have no intention of misleading the customers. Finally ate our nan bread fresh then 110% fresh it would cost us more to buy ready made nan bread but besides the point it would not suit out standard of quality we intend to provide. I would like to say that please give us the chance to prove to you and change your views.

York, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food, good prices, family friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

We went on a Sunday evening, so I don't know what it would be like on Friday night, but the atmosphere was welcoming. Everywhere clean and well presented.

The food was really nice. Lots of different dishes, plenty for vegetarians. Quite a few choices that I'd never seen before. Our waiter wasn't just the guy who brings you food - he really seemed to know his Indian cuisine. After we'd chosen our main dishes he gave us some advice about the best side dishes for what we'd chosen. I changed my side orders on the basis of what he'd recommended, and it really seemed to bring out the flavour of the dish I'd chosen.

The whole bill came to £55 for four adults, including side orders, starters and drinks. Well worth it. I will definitely eat here again.

1 Thank None O
Prithi R, Manager at Prithiraj, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Thank you very much for the great review allowing others to view the review
Los Angeles, California
“Great Indian food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

I went for an early dinner and had the chicken tikka masala, garlic naan, and mango lassi. The food was so tasty; some of the best indian food I have ever had. I must say that the mango lassi was made fresh and is by far the best I have ever had in my life. I had a great experience at this restaurant as the food was delicious, the environment was relaxing, and the service was good. I will definitely be going back!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Jessica T
Prithi R, Manager at Prithiraj, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Thank you very much we are pleased to hear that your time at prithiraj was a very pleasant and enjoyable time hope we can have the opportunity to bring the same again to you again.
“Lovely food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

Visited for a birthday meal, but the restaurant wasn't to know that! The food was lovely, and would be happy to have takeaways from here in the future. Previous reviews say that service was amazing, and whilst it was good the only comment I would make is that we could have done with more drinks checking throughout the meal as we ran out. Also if the waiters could smile a bit more the atmosphere would be far better.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank JohnD1979
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Nice and spice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

I tried this restaurant for the first time this week and found it to be very good. The service was excellent and the environment good. The poppadoms and pickles were amazing and certainly awoke the palate. All the main courses were delicious. I would compare the restaurant to Mogul Room on Sharrow Vale Road which is one of my favourite and it certainly matched this standard.

1 Thank Sammy C