“Cosy, good coffee and genuine”

Marmadukes Cafe Deli
Ranked #74 of 1,429 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Delicatessen
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Cosy, good coffee and genuine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

Please please please - if you want a coffee and a snack/light lunch - don't go to the chains - find Marmadukes Cafe Deli. You get really good food and good coffee here - I had a slice of Bakewell (pie or tart, not sure) and it was delicious. This is a genuine place with fresh home-made authentic food - not a plastic/chrome souless waste of space.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Tom G

london
“Very good!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Very very nice food and lively atmosphere... 2 very very slight gripes... 1) no large coffees ... Cups quite small! 2) waiter started clearing table before we had all finished eating... Bad manners!

1 Thank mbarkworth
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Unfriendly staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

I have been to Marmadukes a few times since it opened and think it's a nice venue with a good location in town. I have never been hugely impressed by the food, but figured that it's worth giving them a few more chances as they are in the early stages. However, after having been treated very badly there today I am sure not to return. Mainly this is because of the service. The venue is still nice and the food still okay (if a bit pricy). But I do not fancy being patronised to my lunch. I had the soup today. White bean, not particularly tasty, but not bad. The bread was very nice. However, it was very little soup and after I'd eaten I wasn't full at all. My partner had not even got his food (sandwich) when I had finished. They had forgotten it and we had to remind them. When his sandwich arrived, I asked if I could get some more soup as I really hadn't got very much. The woman who worked there, I think she might be the manager, then started arguing with me about the portion size. I said don't worry about it, I'm not that bothered, and above all I don't want to argue over lunch. She wouldn't let it go though, and continued talking to me in a very patronising voice, as if expecting me to change my mind about not being full. Why she didn't just give me a bit of bread and spared both of us the embarrassment, I don't know. But I will not be returning to a place that treats me with such disrespect, especially not when the food isn't good enough to make up for it!

• Visited November 2012
10 Thank Sandelind
Peaky937, Manager at Marmadukes Cafe Deli, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
We are sorry the customer didn't feel the soup was sufficient, in spite of the fact that it comes with our delicious Welbeck bread. The person, described as the manager, is actually the owner, who has created Marmadukes Cafe Deli to offer good quality, freshly made and prepared food at a reasonable price. (our most expensive dish is less than £9). We could get a big old tin of oxtail soup from a value supermarket and maybe some pappy bread, to fill customers up, but generally we have found our customers appreciate better quality food. Sadly not all all of them. Our soups vary day to day and they are made fresh daily. We take it as a compliment that the unhappy reviewer wanted more. It is worth noting that if the potion was felt to be too small the time to mention it would have been at the start? Soup is also traditionally a starter or for people who aren't too hungry. Marmadukes is full of the friendliest staff you could find. There are lots of regular customers who will happily vouch for that. There is usually a terrific friendly atmosphere, which people enjoy along with the great food. As for the reviewer, hopefully she will soon find somewhere else in the city to eat, which is perhaps more appropriate to her appetite and budget.
Sheffield, England
“Fantastic cafe for Sheffield”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

Only had a quick coffee visit as yet to Marmadukes, but loved the whole experience. the coffee was fab, the service great and just loved the decor and the maze of little rooms to escape into. The home cooked food and fresh breads looked amazing too - next time I will def be eating! hope they open early evenings soon as planned. Be great for pre-theatre/post-work.
One gripe - please don't assume all your customers want to open a Facebook account!!! Please get a webpage so we can read more about opening times etc. Great to get twitter updates though.

1 Thank Adelai
Newark, UK
“A fortunate find for Sally and Brian”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

So pleased to have found this cafe on
our first visit to Sheffield in quite a few years and loved the city, it has a great welcoming feel on arriving and has lots of style. We enjoyed our meal so much, the sheperds pie was delicious,the staff really friendly and efficient and the decor of the Cafe Deli is perfect. I wish there were more places like this in our cities. They have done everything just right. We shall come back.
It was a lovely eating experience.

• Visited October 2012