“Superb evening and great food”

Little Mesters Cafe and Bistro
Ranked #392 of 1,429 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Little Mesters Sheffield is located in the heart of Kelham Island, Little Mesters offers seasonal, locally sourced, freshly made food. We are proud to be working in partnership with Sheffield Museums Industrial Trust to bring Sheffield a cafe & bistro with a difference. We have an exciting fresh cafe menu serving everything from freshly brewed coffee and cakes to our fabulous home made burgers and traditional Sunday lunches. Our bistro nights bring fine dining to Kelham Island, with an ever changing seasonal menu to tantaslise your tastebuds. We also offer the perfect setting for your private event, whether it be a children's party, wedding or business meeting. Little Mesters also offer an outside catering service so if your looking for an outside caterer to cater for your event at an alternative venue then look no further. From buffets to BBQ's. Hog Roasts to a la carte fine dining, we have a menu to suit every type of event.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Superb evening and great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

We recently visited Little Mesters on a Saturday evening and have to say we were very impressed. The room is great and the food and service were of a very high standard. We had a groupon voucher for this visit and it has paid dividends as we will be coming back without a doubt.

• Visited September 2013
littlemesters, Owner at Little Mesters Cafe and Bistro, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Steven

Thank you for taking the time to review Little Mesters on Trip Advisor and thank you for your kind comments, we are delighted that you enjoyed your visit to one of our Bistro evenings and hope that we will be able to welcome you back again in the near future.

south yorks
“Great meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

I can't understand what the bad reviews were about. We went on a Friday night at 7pm in oct,the staff were very attentive,we had a Groupon offer,the starters came,my bf had scallops,yes there wasn't many but he said very tasty, I had ham n broccoli salad,sounds weird but was so tasty,,,then my bf had the duck I had steak with the beef tea,wow best sauce I've tasted,then we both had the chocolate fondant pudding,omg was pure heaven on a plate,all in all fantastic tasty food in a littlie part of old steel place in Sheffield,don't be put off with the bad reviews ,

Dear Ang

Sheffield, UK
“Very disappointing Sunday lunch”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

We arrived for our booking on Sunday afternoon in order to use our Living Social voucher.
The dining room is basic but quite pleasant and has a quirky feel to it. We were seated at our table and waited for our orders to be taken. And waited. And waited. Eventually placed our orders after 20 minutes despite several waitresses walking by many times.
When the starters of scallops arrived I thought they were an amuse bouche - one and a half scallops each. Who cuts a scallop in half?? They tasted fine, but the portions were far too small.
The next course was to be Yorkshire puddings, but they didn't arrive. The main course of roast beef arrived and when an enquiry was made as to the absence of the Yorkshires we were informed that the the waitress had forgotten to bring them out so quickly fetched some on a plate for us to share with the main course. I also requested some mustard to go with my beef as there was none on the table, only vinegar(?) and again waited for it to arrive. And waited. The beef was ok, if a little tough, and the vegetables were adequate too but the portions were just too small. We declined dessert as we assumed that they too would be small. I requested the bill and when it eventually arrived, on a chipped saucer, I hade been charged twice for my glass of wine. Another bill was produced and the wait was so long for the waitress to collect payment that I ended up going over to the counter to pay for it. The restaurant was barely half fill and I can't work out why the service was so poor.
I understand that when people dine using a voucher they shouldn't expect too much, but this was an opportunity for the restaurant to show first time diners such as ourselves exactly what the fuss is all about. An opportunity missed here.
Oh, and I never got my mustard either!!

1 Thank Adepizza
Thank you for taking the time to review Little Mesters on trip advisor. I can only apologise you felt that the experience wasn't enjoyable. We pride ourselves on quality food and service as many of the other reviews reflect so it is disappointing to here that you didn't experience the same. Did you raise any of your comments to any of our team at the time of your meal? Once again I can only apologise that you didn't feel we met your expectations- regardless of the fact that you were using a voucher- all our customers should expect to receive the same experience and we would have tried to rectify your issues on the day had we have been made aware.

“great dining”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

excellent delicious beautifully presented food, lovely staff a gem of a restaurant will certainly go back soon

• Visited October 2013
littlemesters, Owner at Little Mesters Cafe and Bistro, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Janet

thank you for taking the time to review Little Mesters, we are delighted that you enjoyed your dining experience with us and hope to welcome you again in the near future.

best wishes

Nicola & David
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

Visited as a group of 4 for Sunday lunch on 6th October 2013, arrived at 12.55 as the table was booked for 1pm, seated straight away & given a menu. By 1.20 we still hadn't ordered drinks or our food as the two waitresses kept passing our table without making eye contact. Finally ordered at 1.25 & drinks were brought to the table & banged down by the young waitress with blonde hair. Starter arrived 10 minutes later (scallop's) very nice but the portion was quite small. Yorkshire puddings arrived next which were lovely, then the main course 2 pork & 2 beef Sunday lunches. The beef was really chewy not sure if this was due to it being very very rare or the joint of meat itself, the pork was nice but the portions again seem small, the plate that it was served on is quite large & the food seemed to be spread out to make it seem like you got much more...we also noticed that we hadn't received any stuffing when we saw lunches go to other tables. We then ordered victoria sponge & chocolate sponge. The victoria sponge was ok but the chocolate sponge was very dry. We left at about 3.15 ish feeling a bit disappointed, we had been really looking forward to the meal but felt a bit ignored by the waiting staff & a bit let down by the food - what a shame as the other reviews seem very positive.

Dear madam,

We are really sorry that you did not enjoy your experience at Little Mesters on Sunday. On Sunday we had 2 new members of staff that we were training so I must apologise if service was a little slow and you did not receive the attention that you deserve.

In terms of the size of portions we always say that we use the highest quality ingredients that are always cooked to order and we pride ourselves on the standard of food that we serve, we agree that we do not serve large portions as this is not what we are about its about quality over quantity.

Again regarding your comments on the main course, our beef is always cooked rare unless guests ask for it to be cooked a little more however it should not have been chewy if I could ask if you bring it to the attention of the front of house staff. As I have said previously we are not a restaurant that serves huge portions we serve quality. Our plates are large as this brings out the style of food that is presented to our guests I have to say that this is the first negative that I have received regarding the standard of table ware that we use at Little Mesters.

I will take your comments up with the Chef regarding the Chocolate cake as these are should never be dry.

Once again we are sorry that you did not enjoy your experience with us as and do hope that it has not put you off coming back to Little Mestrers in the future

Best Regards