“A good all rounder”

The Fox House
Ranked #248 of 1,540 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Fox House in Longshaw is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Myself and my partner were up visiting a friend in Sheffield and he suggested this restaurant and I’m pleased to say he has remained a good friend of ours :) Not just because he brought us to this lovely establishment but it certainly impressed us both.

The atmosphere is very warm and welcoming and there are nice touches that make this a very individual place (such as the private "booths" for lack of a better word). I had the hunters chicken and I rate myself as a particular connoisseur of this specific dish and I found it to be the best one I have had as it was most succulent and moreish, also the chips (which I am not a big fan of) were done to perfection.

The price was very competitive and the service was also "with a smile" which capped of a very pleasurable eating experience. The location is idyllic, being in a good position to go for a nice long walk across the beautiful peak district.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

A friend suggested we try here as I was staying in nearby Grindleford. We arrived to find a delightful, warm country pub. We got there early but got our table right away as the place wasn't too busy. The menu looked delectable but we opted to miss starters and go straight to mains. I had a Beef and Merlot pie with chunky chips and peas. Whilst I wasn't keen on the tasteless vegetables, the pie itself was lovely - crisp, thin pastry and plenty of chunky beef and gravy inside. The chips were beautiful too. My friend had the Lamb Shank Pie which elicited a similar response. Afterwards we had dessert. I had chocolate brownie which although nice lacked that crispy outside and sticky, gooey inside that brownies need. My friend enjoyed his Lemon Meringue Sundae even though the waitress admitted the meringues weren't made in-house and shop bought. They did seem a little under-staffed as there was only two waitresses in the restaurant (who were working very hard to keep up admittedly) as the place began to get busier so there was a bit of a wait to get plates cleared away and to get dessert. However all in all, I enjoyed the atmosphere and the food and hope to be back someday.

Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

We've been to this pub on many occasions including Christmas Day. We've always enjoyed it, however after our visit today we will not be returning. Firstly we had to wait 45 minutes for a starter ( there should have been two starters but they only brought one out). We were shoved in a corner and forgotten about. The main meals arrived a hour and half after they were ordered. We had to go and find someone on three separate occasions to see if they were ready but to no avail! Not good when you are left waiting with two small children. In all that time no one came to see if we needed any more drinks. Some things were missing from my meal. The waiter didn't ask if we would like any sauces or if our meals were ok. The potatoes were over cooked and the meat was very fatty. Very disappointed.

Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

I have eaten and drank here a few times and the food is excellent. During the week they do the usual deals.
I love the rustic charm with a modern feel this pub has.
Its not the cheapest in price but is well worth spending the money.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

We popped in for lunch whilst staying in the local area and were so impressed that we returned for dinner.

The food was delicious and reasonably priced, the service was brilliant and the pub had a lovely atmosphere with log fires and comfy seats to relax in with some drinks after our meal.

Would definitely return and recommend to family and friends.