“Excellent food service and atmosphere” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Napoleons Casino & Restaurant

Napoleons Casino & Restaurant
Ranked #107 of 1,417 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: British
Good for: Large groups, Dining on a budget, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Excellent food service and atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

Many people do not realise that this is not only a Casino but also a very fine restaurant where one can wine and dine without risking one's hard earned money in the gambling den!

Early evening is quiet; the tables are set well apart, some even in little booths which add to the intimacy and privacy and the waiters are pleasant and helpful. The food is absolutely delicious. Some unusual dishes on the menu appeal to the jaded appetitie(!) and the presentation almost warrants a photo..

All in all a very pleasant place to spend an evening. It is worth checking the website for offers; there are some mid week reductions and various deals if you wish to include a Casino visit.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

“One of my favourites in Sheffield...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I have eaten at Napoleons several times now over the last few years, and have thoroughly enjoyed every single trip.

The menu changes every month so the choice is always so varied. The service is always perfect and the waiting staff cannot do enough for you. Value for money is great, especially the 3 courses, glass of wine and £5 chip deal they do.

My last visit was May 22nd with a group of friends and all of my party had a great time. We will be back!.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Hmsy59
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“A great meal and great evening out!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

I took my wife out on a "last minute" date and we had always wanted to try Napoleon's. We started with a tasty Mojito that was carefully prepared at the bar, had a delicious 3 course meal that was a good size (not over-filling and not delivered too quickly or too slowly), my pork main course was especially good. The desert was not quite as "home cooked" as the two previous courses, but it was still good and we had no complaints. Attentive and friendly service but not too intrusive. With wine the bill was only just over £70, and that included 2 x £5 chips for the casino. We thought we would give it a try, but the casino started badly when I tried to play black jack at the poker table (£4 down after one go, I had 21 and wondered why the croupier took all my money!). Starting with £6 at the black jack table, I turned it into £50 in about 30 minutes and we left (having covered about half the cost of the evening)...I felt quite guilty really, but i would have given full marks for the food even if we had lost the £10!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Prof_Hatman
London, United Kingdom
“When can I go back please?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I dined here last night. We arrived at 6pm and were immediately welcomed and offered drinks from the bar. Hubby had a double Bloody Mary and I had a BMW, both of which were really nice. The BMW was to celebrate buying my new car; not a BMW by the way but it was the most appropriate cocktail for me on the menu. I have to be glad my name isn't Mary however; as I am left to wonder if hubby was gently simmering at seeing our bank balance greatly reduced by funding my new car!

The restaurant is dimly lit with low, flattering lighting and comfortable seating. We chose to dine in one of the booths, which has lovely, faux fur on the seating and back rests. The bar person carried our drinks to our seat and we felt looked after from the moment we entered Napoleons until we left, definitely a plus for us and for anyone looking for a pleasant dining experience.

I opted for a 3 course meal, which consisted of the following:

Starter: Smoked Mackerel pate, welsh rarebit, pickled beetroot & rocket

Main: Roasted Rump of Lamb, smoked bacon gnocchi, pea and parsley cream

Dessert: Raspberry & Fig Mouse, Vanilla tulle Biscuit

I enjoyed the pate. It had great flavour, was quite light and the welsh rarebit was good too, whilst the beetroot added a sharpness that balanced the flavours. I would have liked some more beetroot.

I chose the Chardonnay, which was served by the glass to go with this and I didn't really like it. I found it quite bitter.

The lamb was beautifully cooked. It was soft, pink and succulent. I didn't think the bacon gnocchi did anything for the dish at all. The pea and parsley cream was lovely. I think new potatoes, rather than gnocchi would have been better in order to give the dish some texture and bite. However, they did also serve a side of horseradish mash and vegetables which, for me, was great as I love both.

To go with the lamb, I ordered a red wine, a merlot, which was really nice. I chose this especially for my lamb course.

The raspberry & fig mouse was actually a chocolate mouse, topped with figs and a raspberry sauce and wasn't what I was expecting at all. I find chocolate quite heavy for a dessert and not really to my taste and I felt it should have been better described. I was expecting a rasberry & fig mouse, which sounds lighter than it actually was. The vanilla tulle biscuit was divine, I have to say and I did manage to eat half of the chocolate mousse by dipping the biscuit into the mousse. I think a white chocolate mousse would have been better, for me at least.

Hubby opted for the following:

Starter: Moules Mariniere, garlic ciabatta

Main: Grilled rib eye of beef, with its own pie ad a white onion sauce

He loved the moules mariniere and I agree, it was delicious. The creamy white wine sauce that accompanied it was beautiful and light. The crunchy garlic ciabatta was a great little side for the dish and was used to mop up all that lovely sauce. We couldn't fault it.
His rib eye was cooked really well, exactly as he ordered it, which was medium well and it was seasoned perfectly. The pie was tasty but we both felt it was superfluous to the dish really. His sides - the horseradish mash and vegetables were enough for us both to share. The mash was delicately flavoured with horseradish and the vegetables were al dente.

The total bill came to just £66.50 and we felt it offered excellent value for two cocktails, one three course meal and a two course meal, a pint of lager and 3 small glasses of wine. The service was exceptional and I would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant for a special occasion, a gathering of business colleagues/works party, etc. I don't know what the options are for family dining so do check this out with them beforehand.

Overall, a pleasant meal, great service, good value, nice ambience and we are sure to return as they change their menu monthly and in April, one of their starters is a mini fish & chips with pea jus (which can also be a main) and separately, a roasted belly pork with apple jelly & spiced apple puree. For the mains, I am tempted by the Chateaubriand, the pan fried duck breast and the pan fried scallop dish. And the promise of a Chocolate 'hot cross bun' pudding & custard; yes, I realise I find chocolate for dessert a bit heavy, but at least I know it is chocolate, very tempting indeed!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank nicksibubs
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“A reliably good restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

Our party of seven had the great value package including a drink, 3 course meal, coffee and £5 chip. The quality and portion size were excellent, with no quibbles over bringing us greedy ladies extra vegetables. In fact our charming and efficient waiters could not have been more attentive - thank you Tim et al.

• Visited March 2013