“Great food on the go”

California Fresh
Ranked #754 of 1,483 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: American
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I love burritos and when Cali Fresh opened up I was looking forward to going. I eat here regularly and think its such good value for money! I can get a full burrito with lots of fillings for £4.50, such a bargain! Its quick service, really friendly staff and so tasty. I will continue to visit for my favourite burrito in Sheffield :)

2  Thank VP2601
californiaf, Manager at California Fresh, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments and we are glad that you enjoy coming to California Fresh. Its customers like you that make all the hard work worth while. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

This place was new on me and I thought it was great. The atmosphere is great and the food was fantastic, I had the Californian Burrito and thought that the guacamole was the best that I have tasted. For this type of food I thought that the price was very reasonable as there is so much choice. I also had an Ice tea for the 1st time ever and enjoyed it so much that I bought another one. I intend on making this a weekly lunching place. I highly recommend to others.

1  Thank james m
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I was expecting a lot, however, was deeply disappointed by mealy tomatoes, overpriced and lacklustre nachos, guacamole which to me tasted more like houmous. This place served me what I perceive to have been very low quality produce at a very high price.

When I went, they had a buy 9 get one free offer... Wow (sarcasm intended). I opted for the burrito, nachos and a drink for £5.00. This sounded overpriced for a student place. What's more, the nachos came with no toppings, not even cheese, sour cream or jalapenos. I was told that I would need to pay 50p for cheese, 50p for sour cream, and 50p for guacamole, and 50p for salsa, all in all an extra £2. This did not make me happy. I do not think I have ever been to a cafe, restaurant which has served a simple bowl of corn chips and called them nachos. This is what California Fresh did when I went
I paid 50p for the mozarella cheese, they did not even offer to melt it for me so I was left with rubbery mozarella on a basket of really terrible nachos. To me they tasted like the ones that can be purchased from the supermarket for very little.

Perhaps my expectations were too high. This was, however below par even for English standards. Service with a smile... Yes, however, it all felt as though the smile was there to make up for the abominable food.

I hope that this review is not deleted like the last one. It is important that the negative reviews are shown. Hopefully they will enable California Fresh to respond constructively. I certainly would return, but only if the produce was better and the prices far better.

1  Thank Struan e
californiaf, Manager at California Fresh, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

We are sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your meal at California Fresh. We are surprised, shocked and disappointed that any customer would have such views and we whole heartedly apologise to you for that.
We are surprised that you had such an experience as we constantly monitor all food that we sell and all food is taste tested before it is put out for sale to ensure that we provide the best product possible & we have immediately checked on all the issues that you raise. We encourage all customers to inform us immediately if there is an issue with their meal as we like to respond to any issues at the time that they arise. We certainly appreciate all feedback including negative comments when they reflect customers’ views.
However, to clarify some of the remarks that you have made:
Our guacamole is made with real avocados and is certainly not houmous. We do not in any way attempt to pass off any product as something that it is not. Different varieties of avocados produce a different texture of guacamole & the variety of avocados that we use to make our guacamole changes throughout the year due to the varieties that are available in the UK at that particular time of year. The texture of the guacamole that you had may have been different to ones that you have had in the past.
On the issue of pricing in general and the deals that we run, we aim to provide a high quality product at an affordable price. The price of £ 4.85 for a chicken or pork burrito where there is no limit to the amount of ingredients that you can put in your burrito when you create your own is less expensive than other comparable burrito establishments that we are aware of. It seems as though you are slightly confused about the buy 9 burritos get the 10th free as this was not ‘an offer’ we were running but was advertising our new loyalty card where customers are rewarded with a free burrito when they have bought 9.
The specific £5 meal deal that you refer to was a burrito (normally costing £4.85) + a drink (normally costing £0.65 - £1.00) + a side of tortilla chips (normally costing £1.00) for £5.00. This combination would normally cost between £6.50 & £6.85 & was on offer for £5.00. We also periodically run deals & competitions for free burritos, buy 1 get 1 free and buy 1 get 1 half off as well as other deals and we will continue to do so.
We apologise for any confusion caused about the nacho chips, we believed that putting a picture of the actual contents of the deal onto 2 large posters in both windows at the front of the building would show exactly what was contained in the deal but in light of your comments we will look into putting a poster inside at the counter as well in future in order to avoid any such confusion.

Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

This place has been open for a while but only just managed to visit for the first time. It was well worth the wait.

The burrito I had (rockin nacho style with pulled pork) was unbelievable.

Great value too.

Well worth a visit if you're near by.

1  Thank Oliver B
californiaf, Manager at California Fresh, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

We are glad that you enjoyed your pork burrito & we are grateful that you took the time to post a comment. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

I eat here regularly and have never been disappointed by their burritos. They are good value, filling and delicious. The atmosphere is always great. I also highly recommend the cinnabun!

1  Thank BSmith25

We are really pleased that you enjoy coming to California Fresh & thank you for commenting.
Just to let you know you can trade the California Fresh Customer Loyalty card early & get a free cinnabun - check out our face book page for details.