“An undiscovered gem of a restaurant”

Tom Scott's Restaurant and Coffee House
Cuisines: European, Contemporary, British
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
“An undiscovered gem of a restaurant”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

The selection of food is both varied and interesting and caters for all tastes. The chefs at Tom Scotts are extremely talented. I have eaten here on a number of occasions and the food has never failed to deliver. One of the board specials is a Goan Seafood curry, which is so authentic you could believe you were eating it there. The owner/maitre de is very knowledgeable about all the dishes on the menu and the wine on offer. It could do with a few more people enjoying the fantastic food on offer. Please try this restaurant it is well worth it, I highly recommend Tom Scotts.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Overpriced and not good for veggies”
Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

This is a posh looking restaurant which doesn't look like it belongs in crookes! However sadly the atmosphere is lacking, it is way too expensive for the underwhelming food and it's frankly just dull. I ordered a veggie burger thinking it would be some sort of bean/lentil patty, however it came identical to the meat burger except a giant mushroom instead of a burger. Very disappointing!

“Gone down the pan”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Been going in for many year,until recently,If your not friends your not that welcome.... haven't visited for many months due to the stale atmosphere when we walk in. The prices are over inflated and unjustified.... what a waste

1 Thank quortes
Honiara, Solomon Islands
“Really Very Good.”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

A damp summer Sheffield evening. The blackboard outside said "Tapas Tuesday Come in and join the fun". I looked in but it seemed no-one was taking up the invitation. When I say no-one, I mean it quite literally. There was no-one to be seen. It looked like an opening scene of an edition of The Restaurant Inspector. I wasn't sure why. The restaurant looked alright to me. It was bright, comfortable-looking, pleasantly spacious. I stepped inside tentatively and a pleasant man greeted me and let me choose where ever I wanted to sit. I was spoiled for choice. I was minimally irritated by being asked what I wanted to drink before I was even half way across the room to take my seat at my chosen table. Anyway, I was soon comfortably in place and given the tapas menu and selected an excellent glass of rioja from the wines listed on the big blackboard on the wall behind me. I had some olives and was given the biggest dish of olives I've ever been served with in a restaurant. No complaints there. There was a sensibly sized list of tapas on the menu although I found the eclectic nature of the dishes (Spanish, Thai, British and so on) a little difficult to get my head around. I settled on 3 items from the menu - battered fish fillets, "chorizo bravas" (actually patatas bravas with chorizo) and Thai fishcakes. The chorizo bravas arrived first and were quite satisfactory although some of my chorizo was a little overcooked and slightly burned but there was a generous amount of potatoes which could again have done with being fried for a little shorter time. Next came the battered fish. The Gates of Heaven opened. Four generously-sized pieces of beautifully cooked snow-white fish, presumably cod, in the lightest of batters. A meal composed just of these 4 perfect pieces of fish would have been as good as some meals I've had in higher rated restaurants. They were served with a dip which was fine but the flavour of the fish was so perfect that it would have been a crime to lose it by adding in the dip. The Thai fish cakes arrived and were again very good, made, it appeared, from pure fish - white fish and salmon were detectable - without any obvious amount of carbohydrate to bulk them out. The fish cakes were very tasty but there was no spicy heat to them and I feel that they would have benefitted from a good dose of chilli which would have raised them to be brilliant. I was splendidly full long before the plate of patatas bravas was half-empty but I had consumed a vast number of olives and an amazing amount of fish. The amount of food served made the meal very good value and each dish was served extremely hot, apparently whisked straight from the kitchen the moment it had been plated up. Whilst I was eating, 2 young women had sat at a table and were drinking a glass of wine and, I could hear, were enthusing about the 2 desserts which they were eating. Sadly, no-one else had come in to partake of the Tapas Tuesday fun. I hope the residents of Crookes make more use of this very good restaurant - in my experience there is some rather nice food served there representing good value especially in portion size and all in a pleasant environment. All it needs is people to improve the ambience. Perhaps things are better when the weather is better and later in the week and weekends. I hope so.

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank white_knight_and_dog
“Left before eating”
Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

Waiter was taking way too long to get to us so we left and went across the road to the ball.