“A Green Haven, with a Revelation!”

Sheffield Winter Garden
Ranked #7 of 170 things to do in Sheffield
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I'd recently been in America and become involved in an "incident" with an Agave. Following been attacked by one of its barbs, my leg had been in a lot of pain for 24 hours. Locals said it happened, sometimes but when, on my return, the pain returned in many times its original measure I did the research.
Agaves have Bad Attitudes, when sensing an attack.
My friend had asked me to accompnay him in collecting Agave "babies" to give to his many friends (Now, I call him Doctor Doom) and I had gone too close.
I'd gone to the Internet, once I could drag my aching body to the chair, and discovered that they can produce arthritis-like symptoms (mine lasted for 8 days!) and also big blebby blisters that weep!!!
"Why?" I asked my aching body.
The answer came in this green haven where a large and rather smug Agave had its own legend.
They do this, because they can! If they sense you are an equally tough desert species, they'll do their best to get you.
Me? I'm one of the peaceful ones. It got me wrong!
But you have to laugh, don't you? Some folk are like that!
As for the Haven, that is waht it is, exactly. A rather wonderful and very serene sanctuary.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

What a unexpectedly pleasant space in the city centre. Take time to look at the wood structure up close. Interesting exhibits in the gallery. Good gift shop.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Always pay a visit when in town. Kids love the snake and running around.
Also very welcome when the weather is bad.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

The uniquie shape of the Winter Gardens makes it stand out as one of the places to see while in the UK. Tropical plants and little surprises like a mini art galary and card shop with unusual offerings make this a must for visitors or meeting with a friend.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

As the name suggests we visited in wintery Jan… lol… good for people who know and want to know about plants… for a lay men it’s just nice colourful flowers and a small café… attached to it is the millennium gallery which has some nice and beautiful old industrial Art in the form of cutlery etc… and opposite the garden is Crucible Theatre so, all in all winter garden is OK… many things around in the same area.. Sheffield cathedral is just 5 munities walk….
Don’t miss the Tram… just take a day over ticket for £3.50… and enjoy the whole day….