“A wonderful Theatre”
Review of Lyceum Theatre

Lyceum Theatre
Ranked #5 of 168 things to do in Sheffield
Reviewed November 6, 2012

A wondeful theatre that brings stage productions back to life, a wonderful building and a great atmosphere in the surrounding area

There are newer reviews for Lyceum Theatre

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Much like the review I did for the City Hall, I do like pantomimes here and that's probably the only time I set foot in this venue. Staff can be a bit over zealous at times, like a group of us were taking a photo of ourselves whilst in the auditorium before the show started but we got told no photos allowed, even though the show hadn't started. Food, drink, snacks and toys are very much like the City Hall & Crucible and can be very expensive especially if there is a few of you.

Great shows, but really no need for it to be as expensive at it is.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Nice little venue, staff good and attentive I noticed especially to disabled visitors. Lovely decor inside and clean.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

We've been to this theatre a couple of times whilst in the area. The first time was thoroughly enjoyable, good show, good atmosphere. Unfortunately the second visit was rather disappointing as the show, which had great reviews, was not to our liking. We nearly walked out.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

I'm actually quite surprised that this isn't mentioned more often, but the leg room, particularly in the balcony, is appalling. Don't get me wrong, the theatre is BEAUTIFUL but that is irrelevant when you can't even sit through the whole production due to the complete lack of legroom. We recently went to see Chicago and it was a great production, but my partner had to leave at the interval because he physically could not cope with the uncomfortable seats and lack of room for his legs to go. He isn't even especially tall; at 5'10" you shouldn't really have trouble being able to sit for 2 and a half hours. There should be some sort of warning really. My dad, at 6'3" would not even have been able to get into the seat.

As for the balcony bar, it was great before the show, but at the interval it was like all hell had broken loose! There was seemingly no order to how people were being served, there was a lot of pushing and shoving, but we did eventually get served and the bar staff were fine.

All in all, a beautiful theatre but simply not practical.

2  Thank Liz S