“Very slow service - Food O.K.” 2 of 5 bubbles

Pizza Express
Ranked #532 of 1,417 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Very slow service - Food O.K.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

Such a pity that as reported elsewhere the quality of service is dreadful - totally disorganised + haphazard service completely fails to offer the exceptional service normally delivered from the 20+ PE branches we have visited around the U.K.
Standard of food is very good but URGENT ACTION is required to prevent this poorly managed outlet from giving the wrong impression of this excellent chain.

sheffield uk
“Pleasant enough food - very slow service.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

Called in on friday evening about 6.30 for a quick pizza. Well, a slow pizza actually as it turned out.

Despite my faith in Tripadvisor, and contributing regularly as you can see, I forgot the golden rule, and never checked this out before I went. My own fault then.

Pizza was pleasant enough, if a bit crispy, and my wife's Antipasto starter (as main) was ok too, if a bit heavy on the salami slices. For dessert, I had Toffee Glory Ice Cream & my wife had Tiramisu. Both were a bit sickly-sweet, but tasty enough. Cappucino & Earl Grey were our drinks.

So far, this has taken me about 3 minutes to type. The whole meal, took almost 2 hours !!

Ok, we weren't in a desperate rush, and the screaming kids & other busy tables won't have contributed to speed, but 2 hours for a pizza ???!!!

And I'm afraid I wasn't impressed by the chap on the entrance, (manager ?) who saw a child's coat on the floor, by a table a few yards away from us - but never bothered to pick it up at all having walked around or over it at least twice during a 15 minute period. I wanted to get up & do it myself, but thought it would be a good 'test' !

The place needs keener staff serving before I'll go again. I'll stick to Yankees.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“iPhone stolen from the table”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

I am the daughter of the gentleman who reviewed below and I had my iPhone taken from the table while dining in this restaurant. There was no security on the door and staff did not take responsibility for a man coming in and lifting my phone from the table.

To make matters worse, the incident was reported to the police along with details of CCTV footage captured. I knew I wouldn't get the phone back but at least the police would then have been able to cross reference his id on other crimes.

Pizza express were completely incompetent and kept making excuses as to why they couldn't supply footage to the police. I had a great officer who kept chasing them up and even purchased DVDs for them top copy footage into and took them into the branch.

They never did manage to figure out how to use their own CCTV system so the report had to be closed without evidence as you only have about 30 days to submit it.

If you're a thief who wants to get away with a crime this place is great as they can't even work their own CCTV. For anyone else, avoid at all costs!

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“avoid!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

We were really pleased when this new restaurant opened, having had very positive experiences elsewhere,especially the one on Devonshire Green, where the staff are always quick-moving , well-trained and very helpful and friendly. So on a very wet Sunday, when my daughter was beginning her recovery from 3 bouts of surgery, I drove us there to cheer us up (!) Result---over 2 hours to serve one tasty but meagre and rather dried at the edges meal which would have been a small-sized starter elsewhere, (which my daughter and I shared--good job we were not hungry, as it was more of a taster than a meal, even though it cost around £8) 2 drinks and a child`s meal, all costing just under £20. As my daughter could not walk far I parked at Berkeley Precinct , so the meal ended up costing a further £60 as we got a parking fine---after spending over 2 hours in the restaurant ---the worst experience of this wet Summer so far, and although I wrote and complained I have yet to receive an apology.

• Visited May 2012
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Terrible, slow service, avoid!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

If you don't mind wasting hours of your
life in a cold drafty restaurant with a Ron Burgundy Jazz Flute soundtrack then you'll love it here.

It took a good ten minutes of waiting around after we had decided what to eat for anyone to notice us, and even then we had to call the waitress over. There were three members off staff in one corner chatting, another three by the kitchen and others avoiding work. There were about four tables in this restaurant occupied, I would say definitely over staffed and no excuse for the slow service.

This is the second time we have been here and the first time was also slow however the waiter apologised and explained he was short staffed, I don't know what their excuse was toda and I dread to think what they're like when busy.

The door is constantly open, we asked three times for it to be shut and shut it ourselves a further two times. Our food was sat on the side waiting for at least five minutes and the chefs had to shout them over.

Poor service and work-shy staff. Shall not be going again, will be glad when nando's opens up next door, like they say, if you want something doing, do it yourself and you do most of the work in nando's.

1 Thank LilyLimpet