“Not flashy but does everything you need at good price”

Days Inn Sheffield M1
Ranked #36 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Not flashy but does everything you need at good price”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I actually booked this hotel not realising the location and when I realised where it was I had some trepidation. I have to say this was misplaced and I was very pleasantly surprised. I haven't stayed in a Days Inn property before so I was open minded as to what to expect.

It was easy enough to find within the Woodall motorway services area. The location being on the Southside of the M1 between Junctions 31 & 30 is actually not as limiting as you would assume. Obviously, you need to be happy to drive on the motorway but just a mile south is Junction 30 where you can use the A6135 to get in to Sheffield with comparative ease without having to head back down the motorway. Chesterfield is very close by as well, linked by the main A619.

The 24 hour reception was very helpful on arrival explaining the facilities and check in / out procedures. It also had a mini shop and amazingly was great value, 50P or more cheaper on a bottle of water than the WH Smiths in the service station! Breakfast is offered as an extra which complements the array or options at the service station (McDonalds, KFC, Burger King as well as the service station run cafe / restaurant). Parking is free, you just need to remember to log your registration number at reception.

The room was on the first floor and was clean. One word of warning, their is no lift so if you don't like or can't access even one flight of stairs, make sure you are on the ground floor. The room itself was bigger than I expected. It featured a double bed with a bathroom that had a bath / shower.

The decoration reminded me of US hotels I have stayed in, being very beige but that was to be expected from an American chain of hotels and it is in no way a criticism. Noise was something I wonderd about being on the motorway, however, even thought I had a motorway facing room the noise was very minimal due to good windows and the hotel being well set back off the actual carridgeway.

I booked through eBookers and the deal I got was really excellent considering what I paid for the experience I had. I understand the limitations in terms of location and I have mentioned them above but they are not as bad as you would think, plus my initial concerns regarding motorway noise was not an issue in the end. I have no reservations based on my experience of recommending this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We came here at a spur of the moment decision, I booked through laterooms, £25 per night, bargain! I rang up Days Inn to confirm that they had received my booking just to be on the safe side. The receptionist who answered was very pleasant and helpful.

Upon arrival check in was quick and again helpful. The lady with the long red hair (sorry, I didn't get her name) offered us breakfast, we accepted, she recommended the continental, which I am absolutely pleased with because it was yummy!! Cereal with fresh milk, hot croissant with butter and jam, apple, yoghurt and a fresh (I mean fresh) orange juice. Filled us up till tea time! My partner asked for a different apple as the one of them we was given was a little bad but it was no bother for them. Saved us walking over the the service station in the awful rain, this is if you want a hot cooked breakfast. I recommend the continental to be honest.

The room was nice, spacious, tastefully decorated, comfortable bed and sofa. Bathroom was a good size. The bathroom did have mould on the ceiling but again we weren't put off, hard to get rid of is mould (I have worked as a housekeeper for a while) I have seen worse anyways. The shower was broken, the rubber attachment came off but was easily fixed by pushing it back round, it squirts water at you if it isn't on.

The staff at this hotel are brilliant, friendly and helpful. Nothing seemed to much for them. We asked for a few things during our stay. Fresh towels, loo roll etc...we did have the do not disturb sign on although the housekeepers did ask if we wanted anything when they took our breakfast tray away and swapped the apple.

We did have problems with the WIFI which was disappointing although the staff did everything they could do to help us. We do think there is a problem with BT as when we did checks, it seemed to be coming from their end. That is what my laptop said anyway. Again, no both as we had a fantastic stay and I can say we will return.

Free newspapers are a bonus too.

Pleased with this hotel, Days Inn are the hotel to go too! Thank you to all the staff here for making our stay enjoyable.

Room Tip: Family rooms (even thought there was only two of us) are spacious and clean.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
lancaster
Reviewed November 19, 2012

The visit didn't start too well as we arrived during a powercut to the whole site but the staff were really nice and friendly. They tried to sort out the problem but something like that was completely out of their control but they kept a smile on their face the whole time! Well we think they did anyway!

Once the lights were back on we were checked in and we had the Double w/sofabed and it was clean & tidy on arrival. Noise of the motorway was not very noticeable, i think the more you listen for a noise the more you hear it.

Wifi wasn't very strong but as it was free it did what we needed at the time and so it wasn't a problem.

Housekeeping staff were friendly and the room was tidied while we were out at our event.

The second night the fire alarm randomly went off for a few seconds which at the time seemed very much like a dream which we all questioned in the morning!

Checkout was 11am which was ideal as we had a morning run to squeeze in before checkout, even then they were not forcing us out the door!

We had breakfast on both occasions in the services but that was seperate to the hotel booking, over priced but did the job.

I've booked this hotel again as we're back competing in January. Clean tidy rooms and nice staff but if you want luxury extras then probably not the place to be looking!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
hampshire
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I honestly have to say that we recieved a five star welcome. Nothing was too much trouble for the receptionist. They helped me to set up my wifi, because I am not used to the ipad etc.
Room clean and tidy and quiet.
This is the best welcome we have ever recieved, and the staff should all be comended on their manner.

Room Tip: Aask for one off the motorway side
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
king's Lynn, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2012

This was a one night stay that we would not repeat. Although it was cheap the condition of the bathroom fell short of our expectations, to put it mildly. There was black mould on the tile grout all around the bath, up to the ceiling and even on the ceiling.
All of the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful.
We accepted the breakfast offer, but were astounded to find out the following morning that we had a hike across the petrol filling station forecourt to get to the motorway services "Eat In". The staff were far from obliging and totally indifferent and the quality of the food was disgusting. Bacon that was dried out, having been kept warm for ages, undercooked eggs and all served on an ice cold plate that by the time you reached your table had chilled the food.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
DaysInnPeterborough, Manager at Days Inn Sheffield M1, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding Days Inn Woodall .

Rest assured that your valued comments will be passed onto the relevant teams inorder that we can improve the service and product offering at Woodall . You will be pleased to hear that we have recently installed an upgrade programme of works inorder to improve our bedroom and bathroom stock . I will personally look at your room used during your stay to ensure that this gets included in the first phase . I was also pleased to hear that you found our staff to be 'friendly and helpful' at the hotel upon which I will make sure that your comments are given to our team . With regards to your comments regarding on main site I will make sure that I discuss these with our Site Director.

Once again thank you for your valued feedback .
Welshpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed here for 1 night on 7th October 2012 and we were pleased with it. Value for money
needed a bed for the night and this was just fine, everything needed was on hand and no issues with cleanliness..nothing posh about it but perfectly adequate for our needs

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Coalville, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 3, 2012

We stayed here last week for one night and was very pleased with our stay. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful. Our room was adequate for what we needed, when we booked the room it did state there was an iron and ironing board in the room however you have to collect it from reception

We paid to have breakfast at the services which was offered at 2 for £10, this set us up for the day ahead

We would recommend the hotel for a cheap and convenient night stay and would stay again

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple