“Lovely meal. Great service”

Browns Bar & Brasserie
Ranked #90 of 1,427 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: Bar, British
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Drinks, Late Night, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Lovely meal. Great service”
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Came here at 6pm after being booted out of All Bar One as we had my 5 year old daughter with us. We sat upstairs-a bit cold and the tables are small, but that's the limit of my complaints. Food fab-cauliflower tempura yum yum! Husbands burger a bit on small side, but little girls massive...so they shared. I highly recommend the kids ice cream...it comes with a cookie my girl didn't want. Bonus!

York, United Kingdom
“Cold and bland”
Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

As other reviewers have said the starters are not as described on the menu. The king prawns are not King prawns whatever the chef claims, they are in fact tiny prawns and you get six, however they were apparently tasty. The crab stack thing was tasteless and had obviously been sat in a fridge for a long time. Cod special was a beautiful piece of fish but served cold and unseasoned rendering it in edible. They removed this from the bill and deducted 20% which I thought was more than reasonable. Staff (other than chef who should know better) nice, cocktails fabulous, good location.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Get past the urine smell”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

If you can stand staying in the restaurant for ten mins max, you get past the strong smell of toilets and then the experience is worth it. We sat upstairs as far from the toilets as possible and enjoyed a lovely lunch. When we came back downstairs the smell was horrendous but the toilets below ground level were spotless and smelt fresh so who knows where the smell is from but it's not good.
The food isn't cheap but different and presented well and the wine is basically just overpriced. The ingredents in the salads were not quite what the menu had said but it didn't spoil the lunch and the chef was non-plus about the alterations so that was a minus also.
Would like to have said "very good" against the food and service but sorry, they need to sort out the smell.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“A special occasion ruined.”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

firstly can I say this is not the cheapest place to dine for lunch, with this and location we were expected exceptional service I guess. but it was our engagement weekend and were happy to pay for good food, service and ambience. Infortunately, although not terrible we were definitely disappointed. I ordered scallops as a starter which although were queens and large I didnt expect them to be so under cooked. Admittedly a difficult dish to cook but thats what you pay for at 3 for approx £11. The puree bed was also bland and not really complimentary to the dish. We had 3 courses plus wine and were squeezed onto a very small 2 place bistro table so the plates were overlapping and on top of one another. At the top of the stairs squeezed onto the busy walkway. We had chosen upstairs as the piano was too loud to conversate over. But the wine was good and the staff pleasant. We did complain through the 'exacting and annoying' website (we didnt wish to complain and spoil our engagement at the time) and after a returned couple of calls we were offered 25% off a future visit. Which my partner did not feel was very generous, so weve never returned. We were looking for a wedding venue for the day time meal but it will not be Browns im afraid.

• Visited April 2013
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“A restaurant who thinks too much of itself”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

My wife and I had Sunday lunch here at the weekend and we were very disappointed. Firstly it was a cold windy day and because my wife has a circulation problem she feels the cold more than most so was wearing a (very expensive) walking coat. I am sure that was why we were shown upstairs to a sparsely populated area when there were several tables available in the main restaurant.
The waiter had a terrible attitude and seemed to think he was doing us a favour in serving us, he was uninterested and patronising. The food was far below average, my duck was completely devoid of taste and at £15 for a single course, not especially cheap
There are far better restaurants in the city centre, I would strongly suggest trying one of them.

1 Thank Owl34