“Ok stay probably wont be going back...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ibis Sheffield City

Ibis Sheffield City
Ranked #23 of 54 Hotels in Sheffield
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Ok stay probably wont be going back...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

We arrived on Friday and was greated by someone from reception desk.
We had to pay for our room on check in, and if paying in cash you need to take photo ID (Something they didnt state over the phone!).

The hotel foyer and lobby is very clean, and there is parking facilities at the Travel lodge across the road, it is £14 per 24h stay at the car park, but if you stay at the Ibis you get it half price, you have to ask the reception desk for a ticket to receive this discount.

It is in a good central location with everything near by, we took taxis so not too sure on places too near by...But I have heard that the pub next door is one to be avoided!

The hallways to the rooms are outdated and I must admit they smelt horrible.
Once in the room, it was basic but clean. We had cigarette burns in our bathroom sink and another friend who was stayed two rooms down had burns in her windowsill.
My friends room also had a window which was wide open on arrival and couldnt be shut...In my opinion it could be a serious Health and safety issue if there were children in this room.
When we told the staff about it they said the windows 'swell with the heat and it happens sometimes'. In my opinon this is not good enough. My friend had an awful sleep with cold/noise etc.

The sleep I had was fine, the secuirty guards are constantly walking about and are very consious of noise!! I stubbed my toe on evening leaving my room, of course made a bit of noise and it hurt...I told told to be quiet...instead of being asked if I was ok!!!!!

All in all it is an ok hotel, a bit rough in places. I probably wouldnt stay here again as there are better value and better hotels near by.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Diane B, General Manager at Ibis Sheffield City, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Thank you for your review and i'm sorry that you were disappointed by your overall experience at Ibis Sheffield City Centre. I appreciate all feedback and rest assured that we take all comments very seriously.
Diane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
lancashire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

Was there for one night when the snooker was on...

GOOD
- Location is very central and easy to get to places
- Friendly check-in
- Comfy beds
- Cheap!

BAD
- Room was a little small
- Confusing menu

Not a bad hotel overall though! Caters to all clientele. Recommend.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jayc362
Diane B, General Manager at Ibis Sheffield City, responded to this review, June 29, 2014
Many thanks for your kind review, we're delighted that you found our location ideal for your visit to the Crucible Theatre for the World Snooker Championship. We hope that we can welcome you back to Ibis Sheffield City Centre in the future.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

The hotel staff were pleasant and professional.
The bed was very comfortable and soft.
The bathroom was small, but I did enjoy it. The shower was quite spacious considering the small room.
The room just felt a little cramped.
Even though we were in a double room there was only one chair. So nowhere to sit together except for on the bed.
Not much room to put clothes and belongings. It was also very hot during our visit and we could only open the window slightly 'health and safety' and the air unit in the room only heated the room. Did not cool it.
However we did have a nice stay and I would probably stay again.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
We're very grateful that you could take the time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. We welcome all comments and we're pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope that we can welcome you back to Ibis Sheffield City Centre in the future.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

I love this chain of hotels!! Cheap, clean and always very comfy beds!! I have always had a wonderful experience at ibis. The bathrooms are always clean. I love a hotel that makes you feel welcome. You also can not beat the price. It is quite the steal.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Diane B, General Manager at Ibis Sheffield City, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
I'm very grateful that you could take the time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. My team and I appreciate your kind words and we hope that we can welcome you back to Ibis Sheffield City Centre in the future.
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

It is fine but very hard to find via satnav -it doesn't tell you the correct turn off and then tells you to drive in bus lanes so you end up driving round and such!

The tv was a disappointment- not proper reception, square and few channels, however the rest fine and shower good.

The main issue was that some of the in room cards say food is NOT available 24/7 while others -the menu I think -says it is. So its confusing, but that is resolved by rining reception so no bother. Hwever the main confusion is the MENU. When in a hurry or late in the evening you want to glance at a menu, read and understand it and pick an item quickly -this CANNOT be done with this menu. You need to use Wikipedia to understand what each item is -the title does not relate to the item -it's absurd! BUT to counter this absurdity the amazing thing about this hotel is Alan -poor chap having to be reception and chef and everything all at once!! All along it seems bizarre that the Reception desk IS the bar and restaurant too -who ever heard of running an establishment this way? I feel sorry for those tasked with manning it and being all things to all people at all hours, again absurd.
So for Alan who cheerfully and was really friendly made us our super -a nice plain pizza and baked potato (which bizarrely I don't think it was even on the printed menu only chalked on a board as a special) we would actually go back. Never had such lovely customer service, but give the chap a break and give him 1 job not every job.
And make all our lives easier with a no nonsense menu -what you read in the title is what you get -who decides these things, totally bizarre! Also just to mention unlike Alan the girl with an accent on check out was rather snooty and looked down her nose -which makes one very uncomfortable and unlikely to return. And a minor point but some of the decor was modern and some was old -with poppies down the carpet like a tribute to the World Wars!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Diane B, General Manager at Ibis Sheffield City, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
My team and I very much appreciate your review and really appreciate your valued comments in respect of our team member. We take all comments very seriously and i'm sorry that we didn't fully meet your expectations. We do hope that we can welcome you both back to ibis Sheffield City Centre in the future.
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014

Booked into the Ibis for a friday - saturday online and check in was smooth on arrival. Had to fill a usual form out with address on and was given my room key/card. Same as all the other ibis hotels, i had to swipe my card to get to the stairs that lead to the rooms. Standard security. Reception area seemed nice but never really used it much. Arrived at my room on the 1st floor, it was clean and spacious, must admit the view was poor but wasn't bothered at all by this. Everything was functioning okay, shower was good and spacious. Will stay here again next time i visit Sheffield for sure. Parking is right next to the hotel with a discounted rate when you stay at the Ibis. Overall very happy.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Diane B, General Manager at Ibis Sheffield City, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
I'm delighted that you chose to stay with us at Ibis Sheffield City Centre and that we met all of your expectations, my team and I really appreciate your review. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next weekend visit to Sheffield.