“Good value city centre hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Sheffield City Centre
Ranked #13 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed March 26, 2014

This is a fairly new Holiday Inn Express located just on the edge of Sheffield city centre (5 minute walk to the centre).

The rooms are spacious and tastefully furnished. My room had two single beds made into a double which made for a good sized bed which was comfortable with a choice of pillows. Bathrooms are small but feature a very good shower. Both the bedroom and bathroom were very clean. Rooms are air conditioned which is easy to control (unlike in a lot of hotels). They are also double glazed, so despite having a room overlooking the ring road I wasn't disturbed by traffic noise.

The evening menu available in the restaurant is not that exciting but was reasonably priced and well cooked. The breakfast (included in the price) is the usual Holiday Inn Express standard fayre so nothing to get excited about - but it is free so I guess you can't grumble.

The hotel has a car park charged at £5 per night which is pretty reasonable for a Sheffield hotel. WiFi is free and a good speed.

The staff were all very friendly and efficient and I would certainly consider using this hotel again in the future.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Simon S

Reviewed March 23, 2014

Stayed one night to attend a concert. We had a double room and it was spacious and clean with a view over the river. Fantastic facilities, central location. The staff were extremely friendly and welcoming. Check in/out was swift.
We had breakfast which was included in the price and was tasty. We also had a meal from the bar which had a varied menu and was just as tasty as the breakfast. There was also a Costa Coffee which was a pleasant surprise and perked us up in the morning.
An excellent hotel to stay over. Next time we are in Sheffield we will definitely stay here again.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aimz10_11
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Spent a night at Holiday Inn and was really disappointed that we were disturbed several times throughout the night with older teenagers returning from a night out and making a nuisance of themselves by either shouting from one end of the corridor to the other or by playing knock and run on the doors.This was confirmed when we overheard the youngsters discussing with friends what they had been up to at breakfast, much to their amusement. We then had the arduous task of breakfast, which ended up like queuing for school dinners as they piled their plates with as much food as they plate could hold. The hotel itself was spotlessly clean but do feel that we could have been told what to expect when we booked in as we would have looked elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Stayed here for a hen do, couldn't fault a thing. The staff were friendly and helpful, the room was spotless and the location ideal for a night out! Had a meal in the hotel restaurant which was also spot on, reasonably priced and quick service.
Be aware the car park isn't huge but there was alternative parking next to the hotel (although it was NCP so I'm guessing expensive!). We paid £5 for parking which from what I gather is a standard price per day.
Overall I would highly recommend this lovely hotel!

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Bikerbirdrach
Hermann B, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Sheffield City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am really happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel when you are next in the city.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

Close to the railway station, trams and bus interchange, city centre and Sheffield Hallam University. Neat modern rooms with wifi and breakfast included, parking available. Iron and ironing board can be collected from reception. Pleasant and helpful staff.
Bar, snacks and evening meals available within the hotel, although there are plenty of fast food outlets nearby, and pubs and restaurants 5-10 minutes walk into the city centre.
Would like to have seen a room safe for laptop and valuables, and biscuits seem to have disappeared so bring your own! Slightly away from the centre so look up the location to save getting lost.

Room Tip: I have been a number of rooms on different floors and they are much the same. It's the other gue...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I hope that we can welcome back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

Stayed here for one night on a mums and daughter's weekend. We chose this hotel as it was good value for money and included a free buffet breakfast. On arrival we were greeted by a very friendly, efficient receptionist. Although we were earlier than the stated check-in time, we were able to go to our rooms straight away. On entering the room we saw that is was very clean and a good size. The bathroom was spotless and modern and the power shower was great. The beds were comfortable and you could choose what temperature you required the room to be. Breakfast the next day was quite basic but perfectly acceptable for a buffet style. All staff on duty at the bar or reception were very friendly and helpful and provided us with extra tea/coffee and sugar when requested. Overall, it was a great stay and I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank HappyDerby
Hermann B, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Sheffield City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
I am really please that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope that we can welcome you back when you are next visiting Sheffield.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

We stayed at this hotel on Saturday night whilst visiting the city. I normally come to Sheffield several times a year and stay at an another hotel but as I was booking with only a week to go my 'usual' hotel was very expensive so I decided to try out this one as the price/location was reasonable. I was not disappointed.

This is supposed to be a budget hotel but I was very impressed. Everything is of a good to high quality. From the amazing bathroom featuring a powerful hot shower, thick fluffy towels, large beds, large spacious rooms, a wide choice of TV channels to the good selection at breakfast. Our room had dual aspect large windows overlooking the river and was lovely at night with the lights reflecting off the water. The bed was firm and comfy, and I had a great sleep with a choice of soft or hard pillows. We heard no noise from other rooms or guests.

Some people have moaned on here about breakfast so I wasn't expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised. Most hotels now charge around £10 for breakfast, in fact when I was looking for a hotel to stay at in Sheffield, other hotels which were even more expensive did not include breakfast so the fact it was included was a bonus. Also baring in mind this is a budget hotel there was a vast choice of options. Far more than expected and I was stuffed when I left. There is a choice of coffees, teas and juices. A selection of 'tinned' fruit. i.e. grapefruit, orange segments, etc. A good selection of about 5 different cereals, a selection of pastries (pain au chocolate, croissants, etc), jams, a variety of different flavoured yogurt pots, toast, sliced bread and a small selection of hot choices (sausages, scrambled eggs and baked beans). The staff kept everything topped up regularly and you could go back and help yourself as much as you wanted. Perfect start to the day.

My only problem, and the reason for a score of 4 and not a 5, is with the car park. At the entrance to the hotel car park, you pass an NCP car park on your right but there is a separate sign pointing straight on for the 'hotel guest car park'. Therefore when you enter the hotel car park you expect the prices displayed to be for the hotel guests. We paid and displayed for a 24 hour period. This cost £8. However when we then entered the hotel to check in the woman at reception was quite short with us and said if we had read the small print at the bottom of the car park sign it is only £5 for hotel guests. No £3 refund was offered. I know it was our own fault as we had not read all of the sign within the actual hotel car park but I felt the signs were a little mis-leading. The sign as we entered made us believe that the car park was for hotel guests only so we didn’t even think there may be separate charges. Also how many people read all of the writing on the signs within a car park? It was our fault I realise but from how short the woman at reception was with us this must happen a lot, so it could be more clearly displayed.

Overall we would return, the hotel was great, just what we needed at the right price in a good walkable location into Sheffield. This may be our new 'usual' Sheffield hotel....and next time we'd know about the car park!!

Room Tip: A corner room overlooking the Wicker, and river gives you dual aspect views
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lucy F

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel, I was very pleased to hear that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay.
We are currently looking at trying to get some signs that direct people towards our car park so that this is not as confusing. We have previously put signs next to the multi story car park but they have been unfortunately removed by the owners.
I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel on your next visit to Sheffield.