“No frills but spotlessly clean”

Holiday Inn Express Sheffield City Centre
Ranked #13 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I stay here regularly when in Sheffield City Centre (only a couple of minutes walk away). The hotel is no-frills as such and hence works out economically as well as convenient (and no less convenitent than other hotels, despite what you might beleive from looking at maps).
The reception staff are friendly and always happy to help.
The real strength of this hotel is however the housekeeping staff - you may not see them, but they do a great job. The rooms are immaculately clean - always. And for me that is so important and rare to find this these days - some hotels of a higher rating could learn a few things about cleanliness from this hotel.
Rooms are adequately furnished and beds comfortable. Nothing is going to give you a feeling of luxury as such, but, everything is functional and as I say, the most important thing is just how clean and well maintained all of the rooms are.
Breakfast is basic but adequate and DIY. Only suggestions I can make is:
please sort out the toast machines which never seem to toast properly - you get warm bread or carbon, never toast;
make it clear if the breakfast area is self clear or not (I'm always confused by this).

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank aubrey G

Reviewed February 19, 2013

One night stay in the hotel was fantastic, I was not really expecing much with it being an express but the rooms are very modern and clean, the bed was HUGE!! bathroom very well set out. I found the breakfast good, again for an express what do you expect? parking at £8 for 24 hours i think is reasonable. overall will use the hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Hermann B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sheffield City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Thank you for your feedback, I am pleased that you had a great stay. I will pass your feedback on to our housekeeping team, who I know will be happy to hear their work is appreciated. Please rest assured that we will also look into setting the toasters to improve the quality of the toast. We hope to see you again soon at the hotel. Regarding the breakfast area, it is indeed self clear, however, we are always happy to assist our guest.

Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for 2 nights as it was my boyfriend's 21st birthday. I am a diabetic and after waking at 4AM with an episode of low blood sugar, i headed down to the reception to see if i could purchase something from the little snack shop they have. When i got down there i discovered it was closed however I explained to the man on reception that I was diabetic and i needed something sugary urgently. The staff member rudely replied 'I can't open it, but the Tesco petrol station will be open'. Now for him to suggest to an 18 year old girl that they should walk down to the tesco petrol station at 4AM in the morning, in an area which is considered rough, is disgusting and he wasn't to know I had my boyfriend with me. After truding down to the local tesco we both returned to find 2 drunken girls, purchasing something from the little snack shop. After they had done this and paid, the receptionist pulled down the blind . on the shop. I feel highly let down, and treated unfairly. I also feel my condition was not taken seriously enough and the service i recieved was quite frankly disgusting and dispicable. Some could argue it would be my own fault for not having anything to treat the low blood spell, but, this shouldn't have happened regardless. HIGHLY DISSAPOINTED !!!

• Stayed: February 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sheffield City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Dear megsyrose,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I am glad that our location and room accommodations worked suitable for your needs. However, I am deeply sorry for the issues you experienced with the staff. I have taken note of your comments and these will be relayed to them so that they can continuously improve on their efforts.

Again, thank you for your comments and we take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed February 17, 2013

stayed here the other night and had an excellent room on the corner of the hotel overlooking the river. Glass on 2 sides of the corner was great. Massive bed - biggest ever in an HIE.
Got there late due to road works and dinner was stopped but got some helpful suggestions from reception and found a takeaway round the corner.
Quite near the main road and the main run for the ambulances it appears - which run all night!! but not too noisy apart from that.
Has reasonalble carparking facilities and charges

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thanks for your kind feedback, if you are a light sleeper then please do not hesitate to request a room to the rear of the hotel the next time you have a room requirement in Sheffield, which I can assure you is quieter.

We hope that we will welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Express Sheffield again soon!

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Stayed as I had a competition local. Was woken up by a group of girls having a party next door at 3am on their return to the hotel. No one policing the large numbers or intoxicated meant that we were awake most of the night. Finally gave in and called reception after 2 warnings they finally shut up! Breakfast - 2 bowls of cold beans, 2 plates of re heated sausages and a bowl of swimming in water scrambled egg! Warm milk for your cereal and greasy croissants! The only thing eatable was toast. £5 over night parking for paying guests and not so much as a hello from the desk staff! Over all a bad stay, will not be back in a hurry or at all for that matter.

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear guest we are very sorry to hear that not all aspects of your stay with us were acceptable to you and for this I would like to apologise. I am sorry to read that you were disturbed by the inconsiderate behaviour of some of our guests. However, I am pleased to note that the noise stopped after our night staff addressed the situation. I can assure you that our staff do patrol the corridors throughout the night to keep noise disturbance to an absolute minimum.
Furthermore, I was perturbed to read that the quality of the breakfast products was not up to our normal standard and please rest assured that I have spoken to my breakfast staff and undertaken some remedial training in order to address the situation.
Once again please accept my most sincere apology for not meeting your expectation on this occasion, I am however confident is saying that your experience is not indicative of our normal high standard of product and service and trust that this experience will not deter you from returning to our hotel where I can assure you of our best intentions at all time.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

The staff here are absolutely fantastic. Helped with car parking, taxis, and general information. The rooms are clean and bright and good value for money. We stayed for 2 nights to incorporate shopping and an evening at the the strictly tour.
My only problem was that I understood when I booked that the single beds were three quarter size and they were standard single so if I had realised that I may have stayed at the Victoria Holiday Inn as before.
Room not cleaned on second day as I had booked the nights individually. However all that was explained when we checked in so not good to come back to beds not made after shopping!!
On the whole ok but prefer the sister hotel!

Room Tip: No noise on the fourth floor!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Dear guest,
I would like to thank you for your kind feedback regarding the hotel staff and please rest assured that I will pass you feedback on to my staff. I am sorry to read that you were not entirely happy with the size of our beds and can confirm that our sister hotel the Holiday Inn Royal Victoria which is a full service 4 star hotel that offer two double beds in all of their twin rooms and is indeed the only hotel in Sheffield who provides this feature.
Furthermore, please accept my sincere apologies that your room was not cleaned on the second day, this is definitely due to you making 2 separate bookings rather than a 2 night booking in whereby we would refresh the room as you had requested. The reception team will be made aware to be more vigilant when looking at departure and arrivals for same guest bookings.
I trust that this indeed unique incident has not detracted too much from your enjoyment of your stay in Sheffield and we do hope to see you again soon either at the Holiday Inn Express or our sister hotel!

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Finding this hotel can be tricky, even on foot, because it's so easy to wind up going to the old Holiday Inn on Victoria Quay by mistake. The entrance is hidden just off a pedestrian footbridge a little further on. We were given a top floor room which proved to be very quiet and spacious; it had a king-sized bed and a modern television with ample channels. There was a night light in the bathroom--much appreciated!--and a very large shower. Really the only disappointing thing about the hotel was, as others keep noting, the poor breakfast. Yes, it has everything it's supposed to have, but without flair or any special interest--just the same old dreary cereals and croissants, tired sausages, industrial scrambled eggs, etc. The selection of fruit was particularly poor. But that is what I expect from a UK HIE, so my disappointment was not great. Such a pity that the UK franchisees don't respond to competition as their counterparts in the US and Italy have done. Still, we had a great night's sleep and that's worth 4 stars to me.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hermann B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sheffield City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Many thanks for your feedback on our property and I am pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay. We do appreciate your feedback on our breakfast offering, unfortunately the breakfast product range is prescribed by Holiday Inn and as franchisees we are not allowed to flex this. This however is no excuse for not providing a good quality of product and we are constantly working to improve this. As you are aware, at Holiday Inn Express we are the only limited service brand that offers breakfast free to all our guest. We trust that we can welcome you back to the our hotel in the near future.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us.